Obscure hockey facts/stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Just random things that pop into your head that might surprise even us historians. Interesting facts or stats that we never thought about before.

Dryden should have had an assist on the game tying goal from Lafleur in 1979 vs. Boston in Game 7. He had a surprising three assists during the 1979 postseason but it wasn't on that play, although it should have been since he handed it off to Lafleur, who passed to Lemaire and back to Lafleur for the goal. Technically, he should have had an assist I believe.

Bob Probert held the Red Wings single season playoff points record until Fedorov broke it.

Joe Juneau to this day holds the single season assist record for left wingers with 70

Serge Savard was on the ice for Henderson's goal in 1972, Sittler's goal in 1976 and Lafleur's tying goal and Lambert's winning goal in 1979 vs. the Bruins.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I certainly thought so. Actually, only six Wings players have scored 50 even once. You want to really stump someone, ask them to name all six. As that list includes one incredibly obscure player but nobody since 1994, I'd wager even most hardcore fans of the team couldn't do it.

Reactions: rfournier103

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I certainly thought so. Actually, only six Wings players have scored 50 even once. You want to really stump someone, ask them to name all six. As that list includes one incredibly obscure player but nobody since 1994, I'd wager even most hardcore fans of the team couldn't do it.

Yzerman
Fedorov
Sheppard
Redmond
Ogrodnick

No idea on a sixth.

SovietWings

Feb 1, 2017
Pardubice
No idea on a sixth.

Shannahan scored 46
Dionne scored 47
Gordie Howe scored 49
but the man we are looking for... is
dannygrant2.jpg

(Find him by coincidence by looking for Dionne's line mates)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Toronto Maple Leafs, since 1917-18, have had only three players record 50-goal seasons (all retired). None are in the Hall of Fame. [Vaive x 3; Leeman; Andreychuk]

After Guy Lafleur's (top six) 100+ point seasons, the next-most points by any Montreal Canadien is by... Pete Mahovlich (117 in 1974-75).

Montreal's most recent 100-point scorer was 31 years ago (Mats Naslund). The Edmonton Oilers have had one 100-point scorer since 1990 (Doug Weight, in 1995-96).

On the 1983-84 Oilers, goaltender Grant Fuhr and center Pat Conacher each played 45 games. Fuhr's PPG was 0.311, and Conacher's was 0.222.

Wayne Gretzky led the NHL in goals in 1986-87 (with 62). He scored 61 goals in his first 71 games, and then (counting playoffs) only 6 in his last 30 games.

Since 30 years ago, six different players have gone +6 in a single playoff game. Over the same time period, six different players have also gone -6 in a single playoff game. Remarkably, six of the twelve occurrences involve Calgary Flames (5 bad, 1 good). In the memorable 12-4 loss to L.A. in 1990, Joe Mullen, Brian MacLellan, and Doug Gilmour were all -6 (conversely, Steve Duschense of the Kings was +6). Three years later, in another loss to L.A., Gary Suter and Kevin Dahl were both -6. However, in a May 1995 playoff game against the Sharks (in San Jose, no less) Theoren Fleury had 4 assists and went +6.

SovietWings

Feb 1, 2017
Pardubice
Another with 50 goals scorers: Name players who had 50-goals-seasons with two different teams.
(hint: 6 players did this achievement correctly, 2 others with asterisk)

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Sheldon Souray holding the most PP goals by a d-man in a season record (19). You'd think it would be held by someone in the 70s or 80s given that shot blocking has been more prevalent in recent years with better equipment.

And before he broke it, this was a record shared by Denis Potvin (no surprise).....and Adrian Aucoin.

Reactions: shello and SealsFan

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Sheldon Souray holding the most PP goals by a d-man in a season record (19). You'd think it would be held by someone in the 70s or 80s given that shot blocking has been more prevalent in recent years with better equipment.

And before he broke it, this was a record shared by Denis Potvin (no surprise).....and Adrian Aucoin.

Souray was massive that year.

Reactions: shello and Holystik

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Another with 50 goals scorers: Name players who had 50-goals-seasons with two different teams.
(hint: 6 players did this achievement correctly, 2 others with asterisk)

I count 7 who did it:
Bure
Mogilny
Selanne
Jagr
Gretzky
LaFontaine
Laroche

Not sure who has an asterisk. Oh, maybe for different teams, but same franchise? So, Tkachuk? I can't think of anyone else, or why one of the above would have an asterisk.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I count 7 who did it:
Bure
Mogilny
Selanne
Jagr
Gretzky
LaFontaine
Laroche

Not sure who has an asterisk

Joe Sakic did it too, but he actually didn't, since I thought he did it with the Nordiques at first, and it turns out he never scored 50 with the Nords.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Joe Sakic did it too, but he actually didn't, since I thought he did it with the Nordiques at first, and it turns out he never scored 50 with the Nords.

He didn't score 50 for Quebec though

Lol, nevermind, you must have edited right as I clicked reply

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The final tie game in the history of the NHL (to date anyway) was between Carolina and Florida, a 6-6 draw in April of 2004. The last person to score a goal in a tie game was Brad Fast who is notable because that game was his one and only game in the NHL.

(from Ken Reid's book One Night Only)

SovietWings

Feb 1, 2017
Pardubice
I count 7 who did it:
Bure
Mogilny
Selanne
Jagr
Gretzky
LaFontaine
Laroche

Not sure who has an asterisk. Oh, maybe for different teams, but same franchise? So, Tkachuk? I can't think of anyone else, or why one of the above would have an asterisk.
Those two with asterisk were meant to be Tkachuk (for that team/franchise reason) and Andreychuk (changed team during the season).
And I somehow forgot to count Mogilny :-o so 7 + 2 with asterisk.

Irato99

Nov 8, 2010
I count 7 who did it:
Bure
Mogilny
Selanne
Jagr
Gretzky
LaFontaine
Laroche

Just want to point out the typo, it's Pierre Larouche. As a french Canadian it's confusing because both Laroche and Larouche are common names.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I count 7 who did it:
Bure
Mogilny
Selanne
Jagr
Gretzky
LaFontaine
Laroche

Andreychuk had one of his two 50 goal years split between Buffalo and Toronto, in addition to the next year with Toronto. So it might be him, and that would definitely be an asterisk.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The New Jersey Devils have never had a 50 goal/100 point scorer.
Whoa. That is correct... but surprising. Brian Gionta scored 48 goals in 2006, and Elias 96 points in 2001, but no one has scored more. And nobody on the Colorado Rockies or Kansas City Scouts scored 50 goals or 100 points either, so this distinction actually goes back 43 years to 1974. The way the NHL is going now, it may be 100 years of the franchise before there's one 50-goal scorer.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Scott Stevens holds the single season assist record for the New Jersey Devils with 60. That's it. This was 1994. No one can surpass that?

Reactions: Bluesguru

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It might be losing track of the years as I get older, but I often get surprised by how far up on career lists for their teams current players are. For example, Andrei Markov is 7th in Habs history for both assists and games played. And Price is already 3rd among goaltenders in games played for them. Braden Holtby is already 2nd on the Caps in wins and games played. Schneider is already 3rd in wins on the Devils. Doughty is already 10th in games played for the Kings. Eberle is 10th in goals for the Oilers. Corey Crawford already has more wins for the Hawks than Belfour. Ryan Miller played more games for the Sabres than Hasek. Bergeron is already 8th in points for the Bruins, and Cody McLeod is 7th in games played for the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->