Obscure hockey facts/stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Thinking of two legends who had their careers cut short due to injuries. If they had been playing as old as Chris Chelios:

Bobby Orr would have played until 1995-96
Mike Bossy would have played until 2004-05 (well it was the season wiped out by lockout, so effectively until 2003-04)

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Thinking of two legends who had their careers cut short due to injuries. If they had been playing as old as Chris Chelios:

Bobby Orr would have played until 1995-96
Mike Bossy would have played until 2004-05 (well it was the season wiped out by lockout, so effectively until 2003-04)

Rick DiPietro?

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
If the Sabres don't make the playoffs this season, they will tie the record for the longest playoff drought in NHL history.

If the Leafs don't win the Stanley Cup this season, they will tie the record for the longest Stanley Cup drought in NHL history.

Reactions: adsfan

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
In the 1950's only 2 dmen cracked the top 10 for scoring in the NHL in any given season.
Until Bobby Orr, defencemen were supposed to stay in their end. Only a handful of players like Eddie Shore, Red Kelly and Doug Harvey would regularly join the attack.

Reactions: adsfan and Iapyi

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Until Bobby Orr, defencemen were supposed to stay in their end. Only a handful of players like Eddie Shore, Red Kelly and Doug Harvey would regularly join the attack.

Lester Patrick [perhaps inspired by Mike Grant whom he'd watched as a boy] began rushing the puck from his point position with Brandon in 1904.

Soon, Fred Taylor would be dubbed Cyclone in honour of his furious rushes from the defense.

In the 20's and 30's dmen like Sprague Cleghorn and as you mentioned Eddie Shore as well as King Clancy would not only join but lead the offensive rush.

In the 40's there was Flash Hollett.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hakan Loob had 19 SHP in his NHL regular season career: about 0.04 per game. But in his playoff career he had 10, or about 0.13 per game.

If his playoff PK usage was no different from the regular season, in all likelihood he was only on the ice for about 15 PPGA in his playoff career - a remarkable GF:GA differential for this sample size.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Gordie Howe isn't the only man to have played professional hockey at age 52. Ron Duguay was 52 when he played two games in the Eastern Professional League during the 2008-09 season. In those two games, he also became the last professional player not to wear a helmet.

Reactions: Sanf

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Gordie Howe isn't the only man to have played professional hockey at age 52. Ron Duguay was 52 when he played two games in the Eastern Professional League during the 2008-09 season. In those two games, he also became the last professional player not to wear a helmet.

Wow! Honestly I had no idea that this happened. :)

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Hakan Loob had 19 SHP in his NHL regular season career: about 0.04 per game. But in his playoff career he had 10, or about 0.13 per game.

If his playoff PK usage was no different from the regular season, in all likelihood he was only on the ice for about 15 PPGA in his playoff career - a remarkable GF:GA differential for this sample size.

13 of those 19 points came in one season which screams a different type of usage than normal. Calgary probably had its set units in other years. So my guess would be that it was different from the regular season (outside of 87–88 obviously), his playoffs usage. How different though I obviously don't know. It's not like I think he logged Esa Lindell minutes. I remember Loob from Färjestad though was always very good on the kill, sound positionally & good at playing keep-away, always very confident with the puck.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
That's remarkable. What did Dugey's hair look like at 52?

(I recently realized that the first NHL game I ever attended in person was the last NHL game in which Ron Duguay scored a point.)

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
That's remarkable. What did Dugey's hair look like at 52?

No idea. I just saw it in an article I read about the last NHL player's not to wear a helmet. Craig MacTavish was once told by a fan that his helmet needed a haircut, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Duguay's did too.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
077p2_xlg.jpg

From the game with Btooklyn Aces

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Duguay was 51, not 52.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
In 1935, Habs ownership officially asked the NHL for permission to move the team or shut it down. It was mostly a bargaining ploy but still.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Cecil 'Babe' Dye won the NHL scoring title in the 22-23 season finishing 7 points ahead of 2nd place Cy Denneny despite playing in 2 less games.

Before the start of the 23-24 season he shocked the world by announcing he was retiring to persue a career in professional baseball where he reached the level of AAA.

He changed his mind and rejoined Toronto in December which gave him enough time to score 17 goals and finish 4th in scoring. He finished 3 points behind Denneny.

Reactions: Vujtek and Ed Wood

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
During the 23-24 season Ottawa's train is snowbound overnight en route to Montreal for a January 19th game. A hungry Cy Denneny goes looking for food and falls down a well. An uninjured Denneny is rescued by teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad