Oakland A's and Tampa Bay Rays Potential Relocation Thread

Will the A's/Rays have to relocate?

• Total voters

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why wouldn't a new "Oakland" NFL team just be a tenant for the 49ers.?

They would share the stadium just like the 2 NFL teams in LA or NYC.

If the As move, you don't need a new football/baseball in Oakland.
WHY would Oakland get a new NFL franchise that's not the Raiders..... which are now firmly in Vegas, ads, that's why the Raiders left to begin with

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Why wouldn't a new "Oakland" NFL team just be a tenant for the 49ers.?

They would share the stadium just like the 2 NFL teams in LA or NYC.

If the As move, you don't need a new football/baseball in Oakland.
Cal could really use a new football stadium though. By having it built to NFL specifications in Oakland, it paves the way for a potential return of the NFL to Oakland.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Cal could really use a new football stadium though. By having it built to NFL specifications in Oakland, it paves the way for a potential return of the NFL to Oakland.
As always, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Yeah, Cal should leave their national landmark of a stadium to go play off campus in Oakland. C'mon now...

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I don't think it was so much having only one team in the Bay Area so much as the prospect of that only team being stuck in East Oakland and not the more prestigious San Francisco. That would be like having the only LA team be the Angels down in Anaheim instead of Dodger Stadium's pretty central location. Speaking of the Dodgers, a big part of the opposition to letting the Giants move came from them not wanting to lose their most traditional rival. I still don't think they have a problem with having only one team in the Bay Area in the present day. Again, none of the other major pro leagues have an issue with it, so I don't see how MLB is any different.

But the A's wouldn't be "stuck" in Oakland in that scenario. They'd be free to build a stadium anywhere within the market: San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Jose, anywhere in the area. The Giants were TRYING to get a new stadium in 1989 and sold in 1992. (Candlestick was 36 years old and the Coliseum was 26 years old). The A's are only stuck in Oakland NOW because the Giants stayed put and the 1999 type meant the A's couldn't build in Santa Clara/San Jose.

The whole "none of the other sports leagues has a problem with it" isn't valid at all.

NHL - non-traditional market that had a massive deficit in terms of US markets in the 1990s. And the Seals thing didn't work exceptionally well. The Sharks HAVE been very successful as an expansion team and it's largely because they have the best of both worlds: The Sharks were THE only team in San Jose (before the 49ers moved to Santa Clara) and the only one with San Jose in the name... So it's like a Nashville or Columbus situation where you have a loyal fan base from "The only game in town." But the suburbs of San Jose (aka RSN TV territory) are SF/OAK/Sacramento, which are the #4 megalopolis in the country.

NFL - (A) they HAD two Bay Area teams for a long time and are only powerless to stop relocations to open markets unlike MLB can BECAUSE the Oakland owner won a lawsuit with the NFL. (B) Only national TV contracts, no local regional sports network revenues, rendering the topic moot.

NBA - Actually HAS two teams: The Warriors who played in Oakland, now San Francisco; and the Sacramento Kings, who despite SF/OAK and SJ and SAC being listed as three separate markets, are one big TV market for the purposes of regional sports networks, which is where the big sports money comes from.

The Dodgers were definitely against the Giants moving because had it happened, the NL West would have been: Los Angeles, San Diego, Houston (CTZ), Cincinnati (ETZ), Atlanta (ETZ), Tampa (ETZ). Not exactly "West." It would have done damage to their TV revenues to play only 9 road games at 7 pm and all the rest at 4 or 5.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
You recall how many people were convinced in 2006 that housing prices would always go up?

At what point do the closed North American leagues have problems?

The point that there's problems is when the price gets too high to have enough buyers, so there are far more sellers than there are buyers.

However, the difference between closed sports leagues and the housing market is that home sellers usually need to sell because they're moving, or can't afford to keep living in the house.

Sports team owners CAN make money owning their teams if they want to stop using them as tax shields and it's really not that hard to do it because sports are cyclical and have systems in place for competitive balance. (Draft, Luxury Tax, Revenue Sharing)

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
As we all know, California has the greatest concentration of teams in a single league of any of the big 4 leagues with 5 MLB teams. And I'm on the "keep the A's in Oakland" train.

One day I hope California's MLB count will be 6 teams with the addition of a team in Sacramento, which is a pretty large TV market - it's currently ranked #20, making it the largest US TV market in either the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones without an MLB team of its own. Portland isn't far behind at #21, but before awarding Sacramento a team, I want two more Western teams not in California to be awarded - which ideally would be Portland and Las Vegas. Salt Lake City can then join much later alongside Sacramento.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
This is your occasional reminder that there is very little about California that could be considered “concentrated.” San Francisco kind of qualifies. I’ve driven it enough (add a couple years of residence) to know. That’s actually relevant if you WANT to see Sacramento get another big league team, because I will not be among the people who consider Sacramento to be a satellite of the Bay Area.

But the whole Sacramento-MLS saga, by my understanding, isn’t simply an ownership failure. I say that because that market for MLS should have been a no-brainer, and someone else should have stepped in. Nobody did, at least to this point. That happened for reasons. The primary question about the market is probably the amount of disposable income in it.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
This is your occasional reminder that there is very little about California that could be considered “concentrated.” San Francisco kind of qualifies. I’ve driven it enough (add a couple years of residence) to know. That’s actually relevant if you WANT to see Sacramento get another big league team, because I will not be among the people who consider Sacramento to be a satellite of the Bay Area.

But the whole Sacramento-MLS saga, by my understanding, isn’t simply an ownership failure. I say that because that market for MLS should have been a no-brainer, and someone else should have stepped in. Nobody did, at least to this point. That happened for reasons. The primary question about the market is probably the amount of disposable income in it.
Southern CA is very very concentrated

1660680859420.png

20-25 million people live in this area and it also includes a giant marine base and the green is national forests. It's pretty damn concentrated

Last edited:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Southern CA is very very concentrated

View attachment 577389

20-25 million people live in this area and it also includes a giant marine base and the green is national forests. It's pretty damn concentrated
Try to imagine the population at New York City’s density. I have high standards.

In reality, this megalopolis is a bit spread out. Not by Texas standards, but it is spread out. Besides, you cut off Santa Clarita, Lancaster, and points east of San Bernardino and Riverside that are included in your population total. it’s 123 miles between Crypto.com Arena and the Padres Ballpark, so just know that a similar picture of NYC that cuts off Connecticut includes Philadelphia and reaches into Delaware.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Try to imagine the population at New York City’s density. I have high standards.

In reality, this megalopolis is a bit spread out. Not by Texas standards, but it is spread out. Besides, you cut off Santa Clarita, Lancaster, and points east of San Bernardino and Riverside that are included in your population total. it’s 123 miles between Crypto.com Arena and the Padres Ballpark, so just know that a similar picture of NYC that cuts off Connecticut includes Philadelphia and reaches into Delaware.
Earthquakes are the key here. We can't build too high.

Those parts I left out are pretty low to super low areas of population. I grabbed the denser portion. Most of San Berdoo is desert. Most of Riverside and San Berdoo's population are closer to LA, OC and SD. The rest is coyotes and cactus. Remember our counties are like East Coast states.

There is also a pretty big area between there that is Camp Pendleton, which is prime real estate and would probably mean several million more living there

Last edited:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
Earthquakes are the key here. We can't build too high.

Those are pretty low to super low areas of population. I grabbed the denser portion. Most of San Berdoo is desert. Most of Riverside and San Berdoo's population are closer to LA, OC and SD. The rest is coyotes and cactus
There is also a pretty big area between there that is Camp Pendleton, which is prime real estate and would probably mean several million more living there
Which reminds me to actually drive to Arrowhead and the San Gabriels next time. But the height restriction is part of my point. Could have been done more densely, though “should you” is a relevant concern. Then there’s water.

BTW, at least by the “official numbers,” the counties of Ventura, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, and San Diego Counties total about 22 million. I wasn’t going to mention how San Berdoo could be considered a suburb of both Los Angeles and Las Vegas (yeah, I know, it takes a certain insanity to live in the eastern reaches of that county), and there I go again.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Which reminds me to actually drive to Arrowhead and the San Gabriels next time. But the height restriction is part of my point. Could have been done more densely, though “should you” is a relevant concern. Then there’s water.

BTW, at least by the “official numbers,” the counties of Ventura, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, and San Diego Counties total about 22 million. I wasn’t going to mention how San Berdoo could be considered a suburb of both Los Angeles and Las Vegas (yeah, I know, it takes a certain insanity to live in the eastern reaches of that county), and there I go again.
Vegas? Lol No. I think you might be underestimating how desolate it is out there

It's crazy for anyone to live anywhere in San Berdoo county, But almost no one lives out near vegas

1660689188924.png

The county is outliined in red. All of the population is at the bottom left. The rest is desert, Barstow, an occasional gas station and that stupid termometer in Baker

Unofficial, but I think it is safe to say that 90% of the county's population is here above the red line
1660689329077.png

Riverside County is not as extreme as San Berdoo with barren wastelands, but other than Palm Springs and some othersettlements near Josha Tree It is pretty desolate East of say Moreno Valley and Beaumont
1660689503853.png

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Vegas is not a slam dunk for MLB, especially in the AL.

81 openings is a tough nut to conquer - Milwaukee is a small market but they do very well at the gate.

A Vegas TV footprint might include Salt Lake City but that's it.

The Rays do have a suitable TV footprint and decent ratings but the location of 'The Trop' hurts attendance. A move to the Tampa side would help but financing a stadium there will be difficult.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Gotta wonder if this factors into the A's decision process about Las Vegas at all. Yeah, baseball stadiums generally have less non baseball events but concerts more and more are going to baseball fields, especially domed ones.

Allegiant Stadium in 2022 had the most "non resident team" event ticket revenue in the world at $182.5 million (1.02 million tickets). Non resident team just means the Raiders games are not included in the figures.

EDIT: UNLV Football also excluded as a resident team

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad