Trade: [OAK/PIT] Antonio Brown for 3rd and 5th round pick

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They could have just done nothing and then suspended him and had him pay back his bonus when he didn't report.

Good luck getting the signing bonus back and then getting the NFL to add it back onto a future cap.

In your scenario they have the same cap hit for the coming season and a massive distraction for another year. Great job.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I’m loving all of these Steelers fans crying on here how ab is such a jerk and he’s mr big chest and oh he’s a cancer lol. But you absolutely loved him for the last 6 years. Now he’s a bum right?
Just like bell is a bum too right??

Maybe the problem in Pittsburgh is the QB?

Reactions: JudgeandJury

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Moss 2.0, except older and even more cancerous than ever.

On the surface, a 3rd and a 5th for a player with Brown’s talent looks like a steal. So congrats to the Raiders on that.

Unfortunately, Brown is pretty much the last thing that team needs from a personality stand point. This shit has the potential to get UGLY, very fast.

We’ll see.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Great deal for the Raiders. They just got arguably the best WR in the NFL for 3rd and 5th round picks. I'm still not entirely sure what their plan is and they might not know either but it's tough to pass up a deal like this. I don't believe Carr is the answer so it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, happens there. My other concern would be if they'll be competitive before Brown starts to decline. Nailing those picks this year could turn things around pretty quickly though.

QB class not good enough to invest a pick in this season. Next season is more interesting with Tua, Herbert, Eason, etc. Carr is competent enough. Make or break for him this season.

Top 4 picks, they need:

DE - massive need for pass rusher. Ticked that they traded down to pass up Davenport for the extra picks, which 1 they gave to get Bryant for all of 1 year.
OT - need to replace Penn and hope Miller steps up. Not a fan of Cable. His former OL in Seattle did better without him this season and Glowinski in Indy secured a new contract getting away from him.
Secondary/DT/TE - Secondary, need Conley to develop and figure out if Joseph is part of the future. Deep DL class so can opt for help here too. Strong TE class, so without a 3rd rounder, they should consider taking one here.

they need help at LB too, but can upgrade LB in free agency.

Don't expect playoffs given the Chiefs and Chargers rosters. Not good enough to beat out Hou/Indy for that second WC spot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I’m loving all of these Steelers fans crying on here how ab is such a jerk and he’s mr big chest and oh he’s a cancer lol. But you absolutely loved him for the last 6 years. Now he’s a bum right?
Just like bell is a bum too right??

Maybe the problem in Pittsburgh is the QB?

I'm a Steelers fan - Brown is a still a great player, hard worker and I think he has many productive years left.

I do not feel the same about Bell - I'm not sure how the rest of his career goes.

Ben is fine.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Good luck getting the signing bonus back and then getting the NFL to add it back onto a future cap.

In your scenario they have the same cap hit for the coming season and a massive distraction for another year. Great job.
Pretty sure they wouldn't be eating the cap hit at all if he doesn't report and gets suspended. Unless Brown was willing to sit out a full year and not get paid (doubtful) they held all the cards.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty sure they wouldn't be eating the cap hit at all if he doesn't report and gets suspended. Unless Brown was willing to sit out a full year and not get paid (doubtful) they held all the cards.

That's not how the CBA or salary cap works, but whatever. If that's your preferred scenario, fair enough.

Reactions: Voight

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Would have liked the Steelers to get more but they were painted into a corner with AB pretty much refusing to go to a team without a big extension and also the roster bonus looming this week, his production will be missed but the antics and off field distractions that have become all too common in recent years will not be.

The Steelers have done pretty well drafting receivers recently, they will find a replacement

Reactions: TNT87

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That's exactly how it works. Suspended players don't count against the cap. I don't know why you think they do.

No. The roster & signing bonuses still need to be factored in. From there it just depends on the language in the contract.

Why someone would want this mess to be continue another season is beyond me, but whatever.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
No. The roster & signing bonuses still need to be factored in. From there it just depends on the language in the contract.

Why someone would want this mess to be continue another season is beyond me, but whatever.
Elliott had to pay back part of his signing bonus when he was suspended, I don't see why the same wouldn't be true with Brown. While its true they may not want to deal with the headache, they've now set the precedent that they'll let players walk all over them. That's a bad precedent.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Elliott had to pay back part of his signing bonus when he was suspended, I don't see why the same wouldn't be true with Brown. While its true they may not want to deal with the headache, they've now set the precedent that they'll let players walk all over them. That's a bad precedent.

Team suspensions are different than NFL issued suspensions. Just depends on the contract if he would get paid.

I'm fine with how it was handled. Take the draft picks, move on. Cap hit is gone after this season and they were going to have to pay it one way or another.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I wasn’t expecting Brown to get moved for a 2nd much less than a 1st but you look at this and look at the fact they got a 1st for Cooper, that’s a pretty good switch.

Cooper isnt a selfish jackass like AB is.
I put the over/under at 3 games before he has a sideline meltdown over not getting the ball. AB destroyed any value he had by acting like he had a NTC. He backed the Steelers into a corner. Steeler fans say good f***ing riddance

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Cooper isnt a selfish jackass like AB is.
I put the over/under at 3 games before he has a sideline meltdown over not getting the ball. AB destroyed any value he had by acting like he had a NTC. He backed the Steelers into a corner. Steeler fans say good ****ing riddance

Cooper is also nowhere near as good as Brown is. He also wanted paid nearly the same.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Raider Nation, Stand Up!!! The Birds are my #1 team, but I have always had a soft spot for the Raiders - and them acquiring Mr. Big Chest for a bag of footballs is excellent.

What I love are the salty Steelers fans throwing all this shade. Derek Carr is a better QB than Ben, their draft capital is incredibly impressive, and Gruden is a proven winner. Mayock also an excellent GM - @agent was on NFL Network earlier talking about how good he is.

Freaking love this, he’s gonna wreck the AFC as a Raider... you’re all idiots saying he’s Moss 2.0. Have fun with that $20M empty cap hit, Steelers fans, you’re on the downswing. And just be glad your team doesn’t play the Raiders until 2021, because they OWN Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Iracundia

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think Carr is as bad as some people on here think.

The guy is still only 27 and hasn't exactly had some great players to throw too. Cooper/Carr's chemistry went down the drain after 2016 for some reason and theres been nobody else to compensate.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think Carr is as bad as some people on here think.

The guy is still only 27 and hasn't exactly had some great players to throw too. Cooper/Carr's chemistry went down the drain after 2016 for some reason and theres been nobody else to compensate.
With AB on the roster, Carr needs to be quicker on his decision making when going deep. Plus he puts too much air under the ball on his deep shots that his WR is often having to jump ball against the corner or safety.

AB is temperamental, so see how Carr reacts to that. Look at how many games Cooper caught 2 balls or less.

Definitely would like to see the Raiders add a good TE in the draft late in round 1. Its a very good group this year and they will need someone behind Cook who turns 32 in April.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad