News Article: O/T: NHL league-wide...HDA releases statement: Done with NHL etc.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Most of us agree that we have a huge racism problem in this country but I also think people are angling racism with the NHL in a wrong way. Hockey has an income inequality issue. Most hockey players nowadays come from rich families. The old story about growing in Manitoba and playing on a pond is toast. Now its travel teams, private hockey tutors, and using sticks that cost more than someone makes in a day. I grew up watching hockey but I never played because my family wasn't well off and didn't have the money. I guess I'm an anomaly as a hockey fan.
There's always rollerhockey. Not sure if they still do pickup games at the Dearborn outdoor rink. That was like25 years ago for me, lol.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Most of us agree that we have a huge racism problem in this country but I also think people are angling racism with the NHL in a wrong way. Hockey has an income inequality issue. Most hockey players nowadays come from rich families. The old story about growing in Manitoba and playing on a pond is toast. Now its travel teams, private hockey tutors, and using sticks that cost more than someone makes in a day. I grew up watching hockey but I never played because my family wasn't well off and didn't have the money. I guess I'm an anomaly as a hockey fan.
I didn't mean to point at this specific sub forum or thread as being problematic, just a societal issue overall that a fairly large part of the world population doesn't seem to want to accept.

Hockey definitely has an income inequality issue. I was also never able to play as my parents couldn't afford it, and I grew up in a solidly middle class family. I did get to play a bit of pond hockey, but certainly nothing organized. I think you're far from an anomaly as a fan.

Reactions: BinCookin

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It doesn't make me angry it's depressing. When I see in the news when some animals playing knock down game on elderly that is makes me angry. People need to respect each other that's all.
What does the "knockout game" have to do with a conversation on systemic racism?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad