Post-Game Talk: NYR @ WSH | 10/18/19 | 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hathaway deserved that.

And Reirden is awesome for getting him out there. Good coaching there.

Didn't think Holtby was challenged much, Rangers are severely offensively challenged.

People thinking Gudas was bad, Gudas was unlucky more than anything.

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.28.18 PM.png

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
theres a chart on the rangers board showing how bad the kuz line was
To be honest Kuz is a perfect example of how stats can lie. Kuz hasn't been great this season but if you looked at just point production you would never know.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
And Reirden is awesome for getting him out there. Good coaching there.

Didn't think Holtby was challenged much, Rangers are severely offensively challenged.

View attachment 266185
Oh ya the stats guy. The stats don't tell you everything. I wouldn't say Gudas was terrible but made a few mistakes.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Sorry guys but Stephenson is playing well even if you don't see it. He plays within his limits. He is and always will be a defense first player. It seems no one here appreciates the defensive part of the game.
You don't pay Stephenson $1 million to play defensively. There are plenty of $700k players who can do that.

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Actually no there isn't. And that's a fact. If you want to wine about the salary of a defense only player you should be talking about Hagelin. Wow
Hagelin got that contract because of his track record. Stephenson had a better than expected playoffs during the Cup winning run and that's just about it. Stephenson playing 4C kills any offense by the 4th line. Dowd a bit less defensively but more suited for the 4C spot because he can be physical and produce some offense.

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
Ducks fan coming in peace, I'm in Maryland doing work and picked up a ticket to the game tonight because...well...nothing beats live hockey. I just wanted to sat that you guys have an awesome barn and all the fans I talked with were really friendly. Also, that you guys have a very fun team to watch and next time I'm out here for work I'll have to catch another game!

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Good all around game s a tired team. Got some breaks on the first power play even before the kick in. Very good movement and retrievals on others (except for backstrom two poor zone efforts in the late 3rd pp). Best part of PP was they didn’t force feed ovi. They took at was there. They also used Oshie to break down the pk and not just for a quick shot.

Holts played well hard to outplay the king as the caps were all over the rags but he made all the required shots and a few tricky ones.

jensen had an unbelievable quiet scorecard game including in def zone. His best of year. Glad they called out his def on the panarin shot. He had the def play of the game which they didn’t call out for him. Several secs after he stayed with Kreider down the left boards, someone (I believe panarin) threw a cross seam pass that was about to hit krieder at the post but Jensen lifted his stick. 3-2 game at that point.

Leipsic with some great passes again. No one ca finish those for him...

Glad to see kempny back and get a goal. Happier to see team stick up for each other.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
To be honest Kuz is a perfect example of how stats can lie. Kuz hasn't been great this season but if you looked at just point production you would never know.
Caps were 2 for 16 to start the season on the PP through the game after he came back, 7 of 20 since and Kuzy might have handled every zone entry tonight when he was on the ice. Averaging 5.8 goals as a team since he came back against some of the best teams and goalies in the league.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Actually no there isn't. And that's a fact. If you want to wine about the salary of a defense only player you should be talking about Hagelin. Wow

I’m actually with maaco on this one. Stephenson has been decent enough this year, well above-water in most major metrics and looks closer to his 2018 form than last season. Hagelin has been dead-weight in the offensive zone and for $2.75M he needs to be more than that.

Kempny not missing a beat would be huge for the team. It wasn’t a perfect defensive effort tonight and they were playing a tired team but their breakouts and team defense were smooth and I like Siegenthaler a lot more on the third pairing.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

View attachment 266185

Another example of good stats. John Carlson as a worst defender on the team. There is something more behind the stats it seems. Like maybe they are painting not the whole picture. Maybe.

Anyway, I think both Gudas and Jensen are very good 3RD options. For 2RD they both leave a lot to be desired.

The resolution could be getting solid 2RD next summer and releasing Gudas. Sure. Maybe keeping Gudas and trading Jensen+ for that 2RD. If only there was a surplus of available 2RDs...

EDIT: Younger Niskanen came to Caps just like that. Overpaid UFA way. Maybe it's in the cards after not extending Holtby. Or maybe its a solid guy on not contending team. Maybe there is one Minnesota?

EDIT2: We are bound to talk Jensen/Gudas all the way into May.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Caps were 2 for 16 to start the season on the PP through the game after he came back, 7 of 20 since and Kuzy might have handled every zone entry tonight when he was on the ice. Averaging 5.8 goals as a team since he came back against some of the best teams and goalies in the league.

Worst advanced stats forward on the team tonight - Kuzy. Cant fight the facts man. Dead weight. Could be signed to play PPs only for like half the salary.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
You don't pay Stephenson $1 million to play defensively. There are plenty of $700k players who can do that.

You can call up 700k players all you want and team wont miss a beat in regular season. However, come May, Stephenson is used to the level of play and that young 700k player - will he perform? Or will he make mistake at critical time? Will he force Todd to go 3 lines in the 3rd period to make it impossible in overtime?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Does anybody remember what Carlson has done the last two seasons that only Bobby Orr has done (3 times) and one other guy has done (2 times)?
Is it most multi-point games to start a season or something?

I think its 2+ points games in a row (5 games x 2 times he did that). Now has 6 games I guess. Orr has the record of 7 games in a row IIRC (and cumulatively 3 times of 5 in a row).

PS: Im not into stats, mind you, so could mess that.

Reactions: Heath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad