Confirmed Trade: [NYR/WPG] Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 2019 1st (20 OV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Ottawa got 7 pieces back for EK,2 1st rounders 2 2nd,s,two experienced rfa players in Tierny and Demelo and a prospect in Balcers....What WPG got back in return isnt even in the same ballpark

Well it shouldnt be in the same ballpark in the first place..

but yeah, this trade is still... :S

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well it shouldnt be in the same ballpark in the first place..

but yeah, this trade is still... :S
Oh we got wrecked too,iam under no illusions....But it kinda puts into context what actual values are.....I have learned my lesson believe me,I expect the worst from any deal where a player holds all the cards

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Ottawa got 7 pieces back for EK,2 1st rounders 2 2nd,s,two experienced rfa players in Tierny and Demelo and a prospect in Balcers....What WPG got back in return isnt even in the same ballpark

The best defenceman in the world and Jacob Trouba are not in the same ballpark

Reactions: CasusBelli

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The best defenceman in the world and Jacob Trouba are not in the same ballpark
EK had one season left until he became a UFA...Trouba had 2 years left,best defender or not ...The returns arent close at all

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I'm not gonna read 40 pages to find out if it was discussed or not, so please educate me. Trouba is RFA atm. Is there a consensus on what he's gonna do. Take a one year deal / QO from Rags, hit UFA to cash out?

Of course if he feels like the team is going to be competitive and he likes it there, he could get that extra year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Because the returns should not be close at all.
EK is good ,but more than double the return???Considering ,it was not a lock they would have him for more than one season...There is no way Trouba should have gone that cheap.....

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
What a head scratcher. I'm guessing Trouba was only looking to sign long term with the Rangers, making them the only dance partner?
Except he isn’t signed and wouldn’t talk contract with any team according to reports. This was a rental trade. Will he end up signing with them? Who knows? At any rate it was a terrible deal for the Jets even as a rental. I feel sorry for Pionk. He likely isn’t too happy with how this turned out either. Signs in the Big Apple and gets shipped to Hockey Siberia.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm not gonna read 40 pages to find out if it was discussed or not, so please educate me. Trouba is RFA atm. Is there a consensus on what he's gonna do. Take a one year deal / QO from Rags, hit UFA to cash out?

Of course if he feels like the team is going to be competitive and he likes it there, he could get that extra year.

He will 90% percent likely sign with one of the NY area teams, 10% likely with any east coast team I'd say. Look at the article I posted on the first page. He gives a nice inside in his privat planings and goals. It is NY area/east coast team and money, not playing for a contender.

Reactions: Gh24

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL

He could do that, the cash out route. We have no sure way of knowing. But despite our previous propensity to just throw money at people and pray, the one thing we've rarely done and I have a lot of trouble believing we'd do now under current front office, is trade assets for a player who wasn't a part of our long-term plans. We'll likely overpay a bit and only time will tell if it was worth it, but they didn't do this without being pretty darn sure they'd lock him down long-term. This is a big part of the rebuild, fixing our D. Losing him to free agency after paying even so little would be a blow. Once we hit #2 and knew we were getting one of Hughes/Kakko, acquired Fox, confirmed all three of our Russians were coming over and saw the potential in current plethora of rookies, it was pretty much a sure thing we'd be seeking to accelerate our rebuild. This would be piece #1. They will try for more now, and all of this indicates to other players that we're serious and building a solid team. Seems like Trouba wanted to be in the NY area. Now he is. Hopefully he works out and does stay.

Reactions: Gh24

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
EK is good ,but more than double the return???Considering ,it was not a lock they would have him for more than one season...There is no way Trouba should have gone that cheap.....

Erik is more than twice as valuable than Trouba to most teams and I feel you are seriously underrating Pionk if you think it was a bad return for Trouba. As a Rangers fan I am not sure if I should be happy with this, depends on how the players around pick number 20 turn out.

Reactions: Hasa92

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Well, Erik Karllson is or at least was perceived to be about 7 times what Trouba will ever be, so there is that.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Except he isn’t signed and wouldn’t talk contract with any team according to reports. This was a rental trade. Will he end up signing with them? Who knows? At any rate it was a terrible deal for the Jets even as a rental. I feel sorry for Pionk. He likely isn’t too happy with how this turned out either. Signs in the Big Apple and gets shipped to Hockey Siberia.

The Rangers asked WPG for permission to speak to him and weren't allowed. So saying 'he wouldn't talk with them' clearly doesn't paint the whole picture.

On another note, Pionk is a terrible player. I absolutely despised him last year. He was severely overplayed by our coach and that was only fine because he aided our tank tremendously.

The comments from Chevy that Pionk can play a shut-down role are just pathetic. Did he do any work at all, or is his on-ice analysis just that bad?

I would have traded Pionk for a 5th rounder just to get him away from here. The fact that all they had to add was the 20OA is amazing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He will 90% percent likely sign with one of the NY area teams, 10% likely with any east coast team I'd say. Look at the article I posted on the first page. He gives a nice inside in his privat planings and goals. It is NY area/east coast team and money, not playing for a contender.
Well hes a RFA, so he's signing with the Rangers. Whether its 1 year or a multi year deal has yet to be seen.

I'd be shocked if it's not a 7 year deal.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Well, Erik Karllson is or at least was perceived to be about 7 times what Trouba will ever be, so there is that.

Sorry but I'll take a 25/26 year old Trouba and his 50+ points per year, superior defence, size and his relative good health added to the fact that a long term deal will cost between 8.5-9 per (most speculating) then Karlsson personally at his age, injury history and cost.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Erik is more than twice as valuable than Trouba to most teams and I feel you are seriously underrating Pionk if you think it was a bad return for Trouba. As a Rangers fan I am not sure if I should be happy with this, depends on how the players around pick number 20 turn out.

Pionk is awful. And only people who look at points think he is good. He is a bad defender and far to weak on the puck. He is also turning 24 next month.

He is the P.A. Parenteau of D-Men. At his best he will be MAB and at his worst, a fringe NHL'er, like Raphael Diaz in his later years.

The Rangers fleeced WPG.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Well hes a RFA, so he's signing with the Rangers. Whether its 1 year or a multi year deal has yet to be seen.

I'd be shocked if it's not a 7 year deal.

Of course he will. I was talking after the season going into UFA. Sorry for not making that clear enough apparently.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
The only people who are underrating Pionk are those who say he wouldn’t make their beer league team. Dude was seriously brutal 95% of the time, and did something “pretty” the other 5% of the time. When his ridiculous shooting percentage went down, he was easily the most useless player the Rangers had on an already bad team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad