Confirmed with Link: NYR trade 2017 4th to COL for Nick Holden

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hot take here:

Trade isn't that bad. This could signal Staal being on the way out. And his underlying numbers are alright so.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Skjei gets far more slack than McIlrath because of his skating. AV loves his guys who can skate (and inexplicably Girardi and Staal)

e: I think if the Rangers have a trade for Staal in place then this is a decent deal. I'm not a fan of giving up assets for a 7th D so I'd hope and suspect they want to play him, hopefully 3rd pair. I'd also not be entirely surprised if they continue to work on playing Skjei on the right side but I'm not sure that's going to be a 100% move yet. If they move Girardi or Klein (let's face it, more likely Klein) then I could see Skjei being moved to the right more definitively

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
I guess they came up with this trade Friday night at the local buffalo bar since they did not need to
Be in the arena for the first round

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Does it need to be someone who was with the team for a certain amount of time? If not, it seems odd that they couldn't wait and see on that one.

I haven't been keeping up with most of the expansion draft discussions, but are we positive that Girardi needs to be protected?

NHL site says "*All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

Girardi's isn't continuing beyond that point, right?

Apparently you missed the whole new "Sather" in the contract...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
my big question (besides what's next) is the timing of the deal. why today? is this a deal that couldn't wait another 10 days to see if we could get a dman for free

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well he's not a bad depth option. The Rangers got a cost controlled NHL D for a 4th that was overplayed on his team.

The fact that he got top 4 minutes is an indictment on the Avs poor depth more than anything else, but I'm sure those minutes will help serve him better for the Rangers.

IMO what this signals is a move coming involving the Rangers defense.

Dare I say this is a good move considering Holden's underlying numbers are pretty good compared to Staal's?

And he's played versus top 6 competition...

I think of they view him as a top 4 guy then you're really squeezing yourself out of the playoffs.

If he's a backfill option that fills the Staal role... With Skjei's getting top 4 minutes then you've got a really good move for what it's worth.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
my big question (besides what's next) is the timing of the deal. why today? is this a deal that couldn't wait another 10 days to see if we could get a dman for free

We'd need to pay overs. That's free agency for you.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

D-men are historically overpaid in free agency. What makes you think the Rangers wouldn't have to pay more?

KreiderHouseRules*

I think Skjei gets far more slack than McIlrath because of his skating. AV loves his guys who can skate (and inexplicably Girardi and Staal)

e: I think if the Rangers have a trade for Staal in place then this is a decent deal. I'm not a fan of giving up assets for a 7th D so I'd hope and suspect they want to play him, hopefully 3rd pair. I'd also not be entirely surprised if they continue to work on playing Skjei on the right side but I'm not sure that's going to be a 100% move yet. If they move Girardi or Klein (let's face it, more likely Klein) then I could see Skjei being moved to the right more definitively

This is a common misconception.

AV likes guys who......

are veterans.

Exhibit A: it took 86 games for him to scratch the abysmal Dan Boyle.

Veterans can do no wrong and rookies are just flawed hockey players in his eyes. He's a totally "favorites" coach, and not like Torts were he had guys he trusted and leaned on and was even sometimes harsh/brutally honest with. AV is just loyal to some and not others and only holds certain players "accountable."

That's what disgusts most NYR fans who don't like AV's decisions in general.

He's had some good teams that he refused to adjust with and lost, despite being in the SCF. The guy is just a loser, IMO.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
My take is that Staal is on his way out. Holden and Skjei can alternate being paired with Klein.

Holden's advanced stats aren't really that terrible, don't know why everyone is flipping out about that aspect.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
D-men are historically overpaid in free agency. What makes you think the Rangers wouldn't have to pay more?

i'm not saying you would have found someone cheaper...i'm saying this deal would have still been there a few days from now if you made a few phone calls to pending ufas first

darko

Feb 16, 2009
People talk about bottom pairing D-men like they are garbage. Legit bottom pairing is still a valuable NHL player and to get him for a 4th rounder is a good move.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Presumably, this means Holden-McIlrath is the third pair. Holden can't play second pair minutes, he's not competent enough to go up against second lines, but on the third pair against easier opposition, he may serve as a passable vet since AV will not want to pair up Mcilrath with another inexperienced rookie.

This is not a sign that Staal is getting traded, it's a sign the Rangers believe Skjei isn't ready for full time duty.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Presumably, this means Holden-McIlrath is the third pair. Holden can't play second pair minutes, he's not competent enough to go up against second lines, but on the third pair against easier opposition, he may serve as a passable vet since AV will not want to pair up Mcilrath with another inexperienced rookie.

This is not a sign that Staal is getting traded, it's a sign the Rangers believe Skjei isn't ready for full time duty.

Yet to be seen.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I think, at minimum this is just as possible as a Staal trade.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is a common misconception.

AV likes guys who......

are veterans.

Exhibit A: it took 86 games for him to scratch the abysmal Dan Boyle.

Veterans can do no wrong and rookies are just flawed hockey players in his eyes. He's a totally "favorites" coach, and not like Torts were he had guys he trusted and leaned on and was even sometimes harsh/brutally honest with. AV is just loyal to some and not others and only holds certain players "accountable."

That's what disgusts most NYR fans who don't like AV's decisions in general.

He's had some good teams that he refused to adjust with and lost, despite being in the SCF. The guy is just a loser, IMO.

Eh he gave Skjei a lot of leash and chances in the playoffs because of his skating ability

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It's not about whether Skjei is good enough to play in NHL or not. It's about whether he can handle rigors of 82 games. That's where Holden comes in to add more depth. In a perfect world both Holden and Skjei play 50-55 games each (also covering for other D-man ijuries).

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'm willing to give him a chance but unless Holden can magically adapt to AV's system he's gonna be a train wreck.

I'm willing to bet on the latter.

Av's fans are dancing in the streets to be rid of this guy..

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

I disagree. The organization so far has shown more faith in Skjei then McI to this point. He got more important minutes towards especially in the playoffs. Holden is a lefty but he can play both sides decent.

I think this is the order of possible out comes:

Staal is dealt.
McI is the odd man out.
They do not think Skjei is ready.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I disagree. The organization so far has shown more faith in Skjei then McI to this point. He got more important minutes towards especially in the playoffs. Holden is a lefty but he can play both sides decent.

I think this is the order of possible out comes:

Staal is dealt.
McI is the odd man out.
They do not think Skjei is ready.

I agree with this assessment.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
And it's sad because I truly feel that the organization has soured on McI. I believe they feel that he cannot adapt his game to how defensemen need to play the game now VS when he was drafted in 2010.

Well, I'm hoping more for #1 on the list, but it's certainly possible, given the way AV used (or rather didn't use) McIlrath.

By the same token, wouldn't it be nice if they truly were treating last season as the "last kick at the can" for the last group, and are going to play this season willing to take some developmental lumps (i.e. slot McIlrath in and live with his ups and downs)?

One can dream...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad