Confirmed with Link: NYR trade 2017 4th to COL for Nick Holden

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I dunno. I think they see him as a cost controlled 4-6 guy who was played out of position by Roy, and who could thrive in a lesser role on a team that needs to save cap $.

Or, again, at least that's what I'm HOPING based on the analytics posts and visiting commentary from Avs fans... :)
If they see him as a #4, the defense will be worse than last year. The guy is another 7/8 dime a doze waiver level fringe player. Why it was necessary to give up a 4th round pick for him is head scratching.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He got a whole season of top minutes last year?

no argument about,
but Skjei's barely 22, has only 1 pro year completed,
he is a very young pro player, ALL pro minutes are valuable development

there is no urgency to be full time in NHL at start of this season.
same with Buch

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Like many have surmised, either something is close for Staal moving and we get back an not-so-bad 3rd line contract and a pick or Skjei moves over to the right and we have 3rd pairing coverage on paper. A 4th is fair value.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Is Staal owed some sort of signing bonus payable on July 1?

Edit: he is owed a $1 million bonus July 1 so his actual salary is $5 million next season.

Might be holding off on a deal until this is paged out, along with some salary retention. Also probably waiting for the UFA dust to settle as well.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Is Staal owed some sort of signing bonus payable on July 1?

Edit: he is owed a $1 million bonus July 1 so his actual salary is $5 million next season.

Might be holding off on a deal until this is paged out, along with some salary retention. Also probably waiting for the UFA dust to settle as well.

He and Girardi both get $1M in signing bonuses on July 1st. Very possible they are waiting for that day to pass so that the bonus is paid out by NYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad