Confirmed with Link: NYR trade 2017 4th to COL for Nick Holden

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Blockbuster. Offseason now complete. Cup contenders here we come!

In all seriousness, seems like a depth move as the poster above me mentioned.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Could be a transitional Staal replacement. Big size, decent point totals... If it means we can clear Staal, I'm all for it.

Just reading his wiki, and this isn't that important with regards to on-ice play, but...

Holden has purchased tickets to every Avalanche home game and donated them to numerous children's charity organizations.

Sounds like a good guy. Feel like he could do some great work with Garden of Dreams.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Haven't heard of him before, but at first glance seems like a terrible trade. Looking at the main board, Avs fans are really happy with the trade, and 1.65M is too much to pay for a 7D.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
http://www.milehighhockey.com/2016/...olorado-avalanche-year-end-review-nick-holden

Our survey was pretty down on Holden -- and rightfully so, as he's a big contributor on this defense we all don't like -- but he was second among the team's defenseman in shot differential and most of the time decent defending his own end. Holden's greatest deficiency will always be getting the puck out of his own zone with possession, and a good team can't have that kind of player on the ice nearly 22 minutes a game.

A depth player on the team I probably know the least about in the league, so I barely even knew the name. Doesn't a 4th seem a little high if we're not penciling him in as top-6? Wonder if we'll see a Staal or Girardi move real soon.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So, am I reading this right? We just traded a fourth for a lefty, 3rd pairing defenseman?

This has GOT to be a precursor to upcoming trades involving our D, no?

That's my thought...Skjei is going to get 2nd pairing minutes, so I'm thinking the Rangers believe they have a taker for Staal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't understand this trade. He fits in the Staal, Girardi, McIlrath, Klein mold of defenseman. Why do we need more defenseman in that mold, even if one of them gets traded?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't understand this trade. He fits in the Staal, Girardi, McIlrath, Klein mold of defenseman. Why do we need more defenseman in that mold, even if one of them gets traded?

He could also be a placeholder for if and when they deem Graves ready. And, $1.65 million is about what you'd want to pay for a bottom pairing D-man.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Our survey was pretty down on Holden -- and rightfully so, as he's a big contributor on this defense we all don't like -- but he was second among the team's defenseman in shot differential and most of the time decent defending his own end. Holden's greatest deficiency will always be getting the puck out of his own zone with possession, and a good team can't have that kind of player on the ice nearly 22 minutes a game.
Well, we have a type!

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania
That's my thought...Skjei is going to get 2nd pairing minutes, so I'm thinking the Rangers believe they have a taker for Staal.

I'm leaning in this direction as well. $1,650,000 cap hit seems high for a guy you have pegged as the 7th D-Man. Interesting to see if Gorton has a deal in place which results in Holden moving up the depth chart to our LHD on the 3rd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad