Confirmed Trade: [NYR/TBL] Barclay Goodrow's UFA rights for 2022 7th round pick

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Was howden really that bad? Or was it due to his expectation being a former 1st rounder

goodrow is a solid bottom 6 physical player with a high compete level, is that not very similar to what howden was? I didn’t watch him a ton with the rangers but that’s what he felt like. Obviously goodrow is an upgrade right now and a good vet for the room but I’m surprised at the rangers fans reactions given how young howden still is
This is the Goodrow thread and half the posts are celebrating trading Howden in a separate deal. That should tell you something.

I've seen worse players than Howden, but those players at least did something. Howden is the most useless player I've ever seen play for the Rangers.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I was holding out hope that we could somehow re-sign Goodrow, but at least we got something for his rights.

I will miss him a lot, really solid player.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
He’s the exact player the Rangers need for their bottom six. I am sure they’ll get him signed, but if not, I could not care less about a seventh and this shows Drury has a plan that makes sense.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Being rumoured that some teams are willing to offer him a 6 year contract, we can’t match that so may as well pick up a 7th for his rights. Cheers for the two cups Goodrow.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
its his rights but ok....

The rights are valuable as well though. Most of the action in UFA is on day one. If Goodrow is pricing himself far beyond what the Rangers are willing to pay, they can target other options at the start of UFA, rather than splitting their focus. It's worth a 7th rounder just to know whether Goodrow will be an option to sign. It's DEFINITELY worth a 7th rounder if they end up signing him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This is the Goodrow thread and half the posts are celebrating trading Howden in a separate deal. That should tell you something.

I've seen worse players than Howden, but those players at least did something. Howden is the most useless player I've ever seen play for the Rangers.
Alright, good to know lol

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
The rights are valuable as well though. Most of the action in UFA is on day one. If Goodrow is pricing himself far beyond what the Rangers are willing to pay, they can target other options at the start of UFA, rather than splitting their focus. It's worth a 7th rounder just to know whether Goodrow will be an option to sign. It's DEFINITELY worth a 7th rounder if they end up signing him.
its a 7th rounder thats how valuable they are......

Reactions: Ignite111

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I mean, Palat was a 7th rounder for us. He had a career high of 63 points in 75 games. Was a legit threat out there for us for a while. So it is possible. Unlikely, but possible.

Henrik Lundqvist was a 7th rounder. It happens, but RARELY. In 50 years of the draft, I think the Rangers have only gotten a real player like 4 times in round 7 (Lundqvist, Todd Marchment, Mike Mottau, and I think there's one or two more). So even then, hitting on a player who will have a solid career is something like 1/25 odds.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Please give this guy 5+ years and 3+ AAV, Drury. This dude was carried by Coleman and Gourde

Reactions: ultra63

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad