Mark Fayne 2 years remaining $3.625M cap/$3.5M salary per/$7M

Buyout is $1,291,667 for first two years and $1,166,667 for the last two years

Andrew Ference 1 year remaining/ $3.25M cap and salary

Buyout is $1,083,333 per for two years

$2.875M combined cap hit for 16-17
$3.375M combined cap hit for 17-18
$1,666,667 million for 18-19 and 19-20

Ference is expecting the Oilers to buy him after having hip surgery

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14806696/andrew-ference-edmonton-oilers-prepares-life-hockey

All three for Dan Girardi. Peter Chiarelli tried to acquire Girardi in 2009 when Boston was looking at trading Kessel.

Wonder if Ference could be put on LTIR? Either way, this is a fantastic idea. I'd like to see Glass going the other way to help even out the salaries, which would allow us to keep a guy like Korp on the team even with that high cap it.

Here's a roster I threw together.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/92501

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: M. Zuccarello ($4,500,000) - C. Smith ($4,250,000) - J. Fast ($950,000) - L. Korpikoski ($2,500,000)
Centre: S. Stamkos ($10,000,000) - D. Brassard ($5,000,000) - K. Hayes ($2,750,000) - O. Lindberg ($650,000)
Leftwing: C. Kreider ($4,000,000) - J. Miller ($3,000,000) - P. Buchnevich ($975,000) - M. Hrivik ($750,000) - A. Chiasson ($1,500,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: K. Shattenkirk ($4,250,000) - D. McIlrath ($1,000,000) - K. Klein ($2,900,000)
Left: R. McDonagh ($4,700,000) - K. Yandle ($6,000,000) - B. Skjei ($925,000) - R. Graves ($656,667)

GOALTENDER (2)
H. Lundqvist ($8,500,000) - M. Hellberg ($625,000)

BUYOUTS
M. Fayne ($1,291,667) - A. Ference ($1,083,333) - B. Richards ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
NHL Salary Cap: $74,000,000
Cap Hit: $72,756,667
Cap Space: $1,243,333

Marc has liked playing with Eric. There was an article on them yesterday from Mike Ziesberger. McKenzie does not expect Eric to play for Carolina. Could Marc and Eric be a package deal? The Rangers would need to work with the agent. What type of contract is Eric looking at? Eric signs for a cheaper price if the team trades for his brother. The Rangers retain $1.2M so Marc becomes a $4.5M D. The Rangers pay $6M of $27.2M remaining on the contract. In actual dollars, the average is $4.24M over 5 years.

I like both of these posts. Realistic and usable trade ideas. Eric and Marc could absolutely follow eachother--that was probably part of the price "paid" with those two 2nd rounders--the ability to have Marc follow Eric.

I've been saying this for a while, RB.

Toronto and Ottawa both will have a lot of cap space this summer, though the latter does run on an internal budget. Neither are exactly close to Thunder Bay, but are closer than New York and Carolina.

Toronto is a rebuilding team. Marc Staal could be a good mentor for their young defensemen coming through the system. Eric can be a good mentor for their young forwards.

Trade Marc to Toronto for their 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd next year. The Rangers could also get a decent prospect if they retain salary. Eric signs with Toronto as a free agent to a 5 year retirement contract.

Solid point

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trade Marc to Toronto for their 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd next year. The Rangers could also get a decent prospect if they retain salary. Eric signs with Toronto as a free agent to a 5 year retirement contract.
So for the privilege of taking on salary for multiple years, Toronto gives the Rangers a 2nd & 3rd round pick? AND E. Staal signs a sweetheart deal there as well? I would say the likelihood is low.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
So for the privilege of taking on salary for multiple years, Toronto gives the Rangers a 2nd & 3rd round pick? AND E. Staal signs a sweetheart deal there as well? I would say the likelihood is low.

At this point I'll take a 5th rounder for Marc just to get him off this team. Use that 5th rounder for Stamkos' rights

The only upside to dealing Staal this year is that there are hardly any good defensemen on the free agent market.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

The chances of it happening may be low, but the present roster composition and cap space available certainly makes Toronto a fit for the Staals. The one big obstacle, as has been mentioned, is the analytics heavy front office.

Marc will fetch back more in a trade than most here think, especially if the Rangers retain some salary.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
At this point I'll take a 5th rounder for Marc just to get him off this team. Use that 5th rounder for Stamkos' rights

The only upside to dealing Staal this year is that there are hardly any good defensemen on the free agent market.

Well I mean, if we trade Staal then the only D-man from the FA market we need to get is Yandle.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The chances of it happening may be low, but the present roster composition and cap space available certainly makes Toronto a fit for the Staals. The one big obstacle, as has been mentioned, is the analytics heavy front office.
I understand. But the same logic can then be used for Girardi. If having the ability to clog cap space is needed.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Arizona says they have the Rangers pick which is #22 right now. Bill Daly said the Rangers could defer the pick to 2017 and they had until the draft lottery to make their decision. Let them have the pick. I just find it weird Daly said something else. What does he know? He is only the deputy commissioner of the NHL. The Rangers could crash and burn next season and they will need that pick. First pick in 5 years. The 2017 first is the only pick the Rangers own in the first two rounds in the next 2 years. Gorton needs to add some more picks.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I agree, give Arizona #22. Next year's 1st rounder may very well be a better pick.

Gorton will replenish the prospect pool with some trades bringing some prospects in that may be closer to the NHL rather than 18 year old draft picks. The Rangers need young help that can contribute now.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
First pick in 5 years. The 2017 first is the only pick the Rangers own in the first two rounds in the next 2 years. Gorton needs to add some more picks.

Considering the closest I'll ever come to hockey GM was NHL EA and I always had like 12 picks every year. I going to keep acting as if it won't matter. :laugh:

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I wasn't crazy about yandle when we got him but now that he's comfortable in the system he's our 2nd best d now, he's not a liability on D and amazing offensively and can stand up for himself. We need to unload girardi and or Staal to make cap space for yandle. Skeji can probably play the right side and mcilrath is fine as a 3rd pairing RD. I just hope we don't do the typical ranger thing where we sign an aging d like Boyle again, just let the kids play . I want to see a lot of moves this offseason

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Toronto has an assistant GM that they're likely grooming for GM that's a big proponent of analytics, so it's a little different than the Rangers who have a guy in an office playing in R that no one talks to.

I hope you are joking...

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Don't we have one of those here?

:sarcasm:

60996032.jpg

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I wasn't crazy about yandle when we got him but now that he's comfortable in the system he's our 2nd best d now, he's not a liability on D and amazing offensively and can stand up for himself. We need to unload girardi and or Staal to make cap space for yandle. Skeji can probably play the right side and mcilrath is fine as a 3rd pairing RD. I just hope we don't do the typical ranger thing where we sign an aging d like Boyle again, just let the kids play . I want to see a lot of moves this offseason

He was our 2nd best D the day we traded for him. :laugh:

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
You know, i've been trying to look into young free agents we can sign. I'd like to get Oksanen, Jerret Smith, Bengtsson, but are there other guys we could get? Obviously we also got Chapie this year and we have yet to sign Buch(not an FA but you get what I mean), but all these guys would be helpful to our prospect pool.

I would love Caggiula, but I doubt we'd be able to get him. Don't think we're in much contention for him. Same for Vesey.

One guy who peaks my interest(although I haven't been able to do TOO much research on him) is Jordan Gross. He had 9 Goals and 31 Points in 37 Games this year for Notre Dame in the NCAA. He's 20 years old(birthday is May 9th though), and is from Maple Grove, MN. Stands 5'10" and weighs 190 lbs.

Here's an interesting scouting report on him too:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/3/9/11182480/top-nhl-free-agent-prospects-in-the-ncaa

Gross is an excellent puck-moving offfensive-minded defenseman. He's become a go-to on the Notre Dame power play because of his excellent vision and play-making ability. Size is a concern for Gross, and he may struggle a bit defensively at the next level, but his offensive abilities are exciting enough that it could overcome some of his other deficiencies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Same. I hope the Rangers take Jim Sullivan's input a lot more seriously than they apparently do.

But lol some people can't seriously believe some crap shot based stat will dictate every decision made by a front office in hockey?

And of course we and other teams use these stats to evaluate how we play and when scouting players. But a good team need a lot of things. Having the right attitude and chemistry on a team is for example extremely important. Experience is extremely important.

Sorry but the notion that team X "believes" in stats and hence will never want a player like Staal because of it is ridiculous.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
But lol some people can't seriously believe some crap shot based stat will dictate every decision made by a front office in hockey?

And of course we and other teams use these stats to evaluate how we play and when scouting players. But a good team need a lot of things. Having the right attitude and chemistry on a team is for example extremely important. Experience is extremely important.

Sorry but the notion that team X "believes" in stats and hence will never want a player like Staal because of it is ridiculous.

Eh, I subscribe to an opposite viewpoint. I think any analytically inclined GM/Organization would not want Marc Staal or Dan Girardi anywhere near their d-corps... but, that's just my opinion.

Now, therer are certainly analytically inclined teams out there that employ players who aren't necessarily good players. A great example of this is Thornton and the Florida Panthers. The Panthers are also a very analytically run organization, yet they employ Shawn Thornton.

The difference here is Shawn Thornton logs about 9 minutes a night, and is a $1.2m cap hit this season, and a $600K cap hit next season. Marc Staal and Dan Girardi on the other hand, well, we know their cap situation. Is $5.5m and $5.7m worth carrying around for 1/6 of your d-corps when you don't believe those players are contributing effectively on the ice?

I don't believe so. Your viewpoint may differ. That's cool!

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
The only reason i disagree with deferring the pick to next year is because this draft class is much deeper, and i think we should try and score this year. Maybe even use this 22 pick to tradeup

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The only reason i disagree with deferring the pick to next year is because this draft class is much deeper, and i think we should try and score this year. Maybe even use this 22 pick to tradeup

People always say how this year's draft is better than next year's draft.

I'd rather give Arizona this year's puck because I think the chances of the Rangers not making the playoffs next year are pretty significant if they don't make some major changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad