Speculation: NYR Roster Building Thread Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers are looking at Skjei on the right side. He is young enough to make the switch. Jeff Beukeboom can help him make the adjustment.

Niklas Hjalmarsson
Dion Phaneuf
TJ Brodie
Jonas Brodin
Fedor Tyutin

All of them are lefties who play on the right side.

The Rangers know what it will cost to keep Yandle. They can make the money work as part of a major roster overhaul. Move Skjei to the right side which wasn't an option until recently. Maybe they can trade Staal and not have a $5.7M D along with two other expensive LD. Maybe they trade Staal and still make the switch with Skjei on RD where he will see more minutes and have more responsibility. If you have McD and Yandle signed long-term,Skjei is probably better on the right side.

McD-Skjei will cover a lot of the ice.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Still would have to move one of Staal or Girardi (or both). You have Girardi, Klein, McI and Skjei on the right. I would not move Klein unless they got a massive overpayment.

Don't find too many second pairing guys that can fill in on the first in a pinch on that type of contract.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The only way Girardi is moved at this point is via buyout.

And although it's nice to have Skjei be able to play right, much rather have him play his natural side. I see no reason for him to have to accommodate the pylon Staal

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Yeah I don't see Graves being ready for at least another season, probably more than that. It does open up a spot but that's somewhat far off at the moment

BarbaraAlphanse

Graves is great. Having Skjei play on the right side adds flexibility. But I don't think he should. Graves has a bigger frame and bigger shot.

It should be

McDonagh
Skjei
Yandle

Next year. And then

McDonagh
Skjei
Yandle - Graves

The year after.

Fill in the next 2 spots after:

Skjei-Mcilrath
McDonagh-Shattenkirk

Voila.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If Skjei can play the right side,why not leave him there. Other quality NHL D have made the switch and remained there. Some of them prefer the right side instead of the left side. I asked Bob Crawford and he said Skjei has been solid on the right. There is also more ice time on the right. The Rangers have an issue with too many lefties. The Rangers can make the money work for Yandle and put Skjei on the right. They will need to make changes anyway. Skjei does not have to protected in expansion. Gorton and his staff will have options to consider. Gorton hinted to Craig Custance they can make the money work. They also love Skjei.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Sean Hartnett Retweeted
Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 17m17 minutes ago
Hearing the New York Rangers are close to signing UMass Lowell F Adam Chapie. Walked on as a frosh. One of Lowell's best F last 2 years.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah I don't see Graves being ready for at least another season, probably more than that. It does open up a spot but that's somewhat far off at the moment

I didn't mean for the upcoming season. If the Rangers intend to re-sign Yandle, the left side of the D becomes very crowded. Even if Staal was to be moved, you'd have four LHD's, and Graves would likely be fourth in line. Moving Skjei to RD would eventually open a spot for Graves if he merits it in the long term.

BarbaraAlphanse

Tanev is expected to sign today. Everyone assumed it would be VAN or Boston. McKenzie said no to VAN. Boston is running out of contracts.

He'll be lucky to stick on a team as a fourth liner.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The NCAA free agent process might be the most overhyped aspect of the NHL. And that is saying something.

90% of these signings would be lucky to be the next Ryan Bourque.

BarbaraAlphanse

The NCAA free agent process might be the most overhyped aspect of the NHL. And that is saying something.

90% of these signings would be lucky to be the next Ryan Bourque.

I think there is 1 jewel. Vesey. Get him.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
he was always one of UML's best players.

right handed shot.

you gotta sign these undrafted guys who develop late and hope they blossom. odds are against for sure that any of these guys do anything but this is a smart play by the organization.

we need cheap, elc guys to play for us if we want to compete and retain our higher priced fa's. need a balance.

good play here.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Don't see this Chapie guy being more than a trade bait piece or an AHLer. NCAA guys that are 24 and are just going into the league rarely make it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I didn't mean for the upcoming season. If the Rangers intend to re-sign Yandle, the left side of the D becomes very crowded. Even if Staal was to be moved, you'd have four LHD's, and Graves would likely be fourth in line. Moving Skjei to RD would eventually open a spot for Graves if he merits it in the long term.

Oh yeah I understand what you're saying. Sorry for not making that more clear Depending on how things shake out, Graves could be in an interesting scenario.

BarbaraAlphanse

These signings can be beneficial. Ryan haggerty yielded Raanta.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Don't have the best track of him, but I think Vesay is a bit overrated. Don't really see that much upside in him, definitely a more or less sure fire NHLer. But would be surprised if he tops like Umberger...

BarbaraAlphanse

Don't have the best track of him, but I think Vesay is a bit overrated. Don't really see that much upside in him, definitely a more or less sure fire NHLer. But would be surprised if he tops like Umberger...

I think he's gonna be a 40-50 point player. Floor of 35, ceiling of 55.

3rd liner initially with hope of becoming average 2nd liner.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The only way Girardi is moved at this point is via buyout.

And although it's nice to have Skjei be able to play right, much rather have him play his natural side. I see no reason for him to have to accommodate the pylon Staal

Plenty of reasons, most importantly: he's a good enough skater to make the switch and have a good chance at adapting. Not to mention Staal being a 9 year veteran is actually a legitimate reason as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad