Speculation: NYR Roster Building Thread Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Trading McD doesn't help. We need to improve the defense. And while Marc has played better he can't fill McDs's shoes

This.

Just because M. Staal had two good months doesn't change his other really bad ones, and also doesn't change that McD is simply just a way better player, who's on a way better contract. Who fits our team's style... way better. :laugh:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
McDonagh or Hayes isn't exactly the same value. And why would the Rangers have add to a McDonagh/Drouin trade? Why are people even considering moving McDonagh. I do not see Staal's play suddenly making McDonagh available.

Yandle's warrior chart says he's top pairing. Trade McDonagh for a stud on an ELC and use his cap for Yandle.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yandle's warrior chart says he's top pairing. Trade McDonagh for a stud on an ELC and use his cap for Yandle.

wBpgC.png

But seriously, I enjoyed that post.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Drouin is playing some really good hockey for Tampa. Yzerman will want 2x as much this summer assuming they trade the player. Yzerman could potentially need to replace Stamkos. Watch Drouin be that guy. The Rangers have interest in Drouin who would be a long-term solution at forward.

Great skills but no physical game. Bet he would flourish in Anaheim.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
not really. He's big and fast. So was Hagelin. So is Helm. So is Stalberg.

But tell me how often a 50 point defenseman that's affordable comes along. I'd love to hear the suggestions! (hint, you won't have any!)

Hags, Helm = fast not big
Stalberg not on par talent wise
:shakehead:shakehead

I am not saying don't try for the great D, just don't approve of using Kreider so routinely as the currency for it. :rant::rant::rant::rant:

Not really. Stepan might have peaked, but he's also a solid 2-way 60 point centerman, locked in for an additional 5 years at a $6.5M affordable rate.

For comparison, Paul Stastny, who is declining, makes $7M for the next 2-3 years.

And what could have possibly made you see this? The guy lived on the PP in college. He's a nice player, but his "upside" is no more than an average 3rd liner at best.

Again, what is the offer for Stepan? sell HIGH.
6.5 is not affordable now, it is top $.
Another 3-4 yrs and that approaches a bargain, maybe, but not today.
Again, do not want any more NMCs.

Starts with one of McDonagh or Hayes most likely...

It's something to consider though. McDonagh++ for Drouin+, keep Staal, resign Yandle, promote McIlrath and Skjei to full time duties. Move Nash for futures. Acquire Shattenkirk?

Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Drouin-Brassard-Zuccarello

Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Diaz
UFA 7th

do not trade McD unless MacKinnon coming back
let Shatt come here free
Hayes, not so fast cause height is at a premium

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Starts with one of McDonagh or Hayes most likely...

It's something to consider though. McDonagh++ for Drouin+, keep Staal, resign Yandle, promote McIlrath and Skjei to full time duties. Move Nash for futures. Acquire Shattenkirk?

Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Drouin-Brassard-Zuccarello

Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Diaz
UFA 7th

Haha, those lines look a little familiar except for Diaz. Where's Klein? And did Girardi retire?
Not a shot in hell but IF McD were to ever get traded this off season, Gorton would be an imbecile to not call Edmonton at a chance to get Laine at the draft.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Edmonton is team full of bad contracts.

Lauri Korpikoski 1 year remaining $2.5M cap/$3M salary

Buyout is $500,000 cap for 16-17 and $1M for 17-18

Mark Fayne 2 years remaining $3.625M cap/$3.5M salary per/$7M

Buyout is $1,291,667 for first two years and $1,166,667 for the last two years

Andrew Ference 1 year remaining/ $3.25M cap and salary

Buyout is $1,083,333 per for two years

$2.875M combined cap hit for 16-17
$3.375M combined cap hit for 17-18
$1,666,667 million for 18-19 and 19-20

Ference is expecting the Oilers to buy him after having hip surgery

After almost two decades in the NHL, veteran defenseman Andrew Ference says he is prepared for life after hockey and that he will likely retire if the Edmonton Oilers buy out his contract after the season.

"I think that's it for me," Ference told ESPN.com in a phone interview Friday morning. "More than likely [the Oilers] will probably buy me out this summer, and we'll probably part ways. That's it."

Ference, 36, was placed on injured reserve in January and is planning to have hip surgery to repair a torn labrum. He has been limited to six games this season and last played Nov. 27 at Detroit.

"Nothing is written in stone yet, but surgery is probably 95 percent that I'm getting it. All the other stuff, you can read between the lines. I've been around long enough," Ference said with a chuckle.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14806696/andrew-ference-edmonton-oilers-prepares-life-hockey

All three for Dan Girardi. Peter Chiarelli tried to acquire Girardi in 2009 when Boston was looking at trading Kessel.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Marc has liked playing with Eric. There was an article on them yesterday from Mike Ziesberger. McKenzie does not expect Eric to play for Carolina. Could Marc and Eric be a package deal? The Rangers would need to work with the agent. What type of contract is Eric looking at? Eric signs for a cheaper price if the team trades for his brother. The Rangers retain $1.2M so Marc becomes a $4.5M D. The Rangers pay $6M of $27.2M remaining on the contract. In actual dollars, the average is $4.24M over 5 years.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Marc has liked playing with Eric. There was an article on them yesterday from Mike Ziesberger. McKenzie does not expect Eric to play for Carolina. Could Marc and Eric be a package deal? The Rangers would need to work with the agent. What type of contract is Eric looking at? Eric signs for a cheaper price if the team trades for his brother. The Rangers retain $1.2M so Marc becomes a $4.5M D. The Rangers pay $6M of $27.2M remaining on the contract. In actual dollars, the average is $4.24M over 5 years.

I've been saying this for a while, RB.

Toronto and Ottawa both will have a lot of cap space this summer, though the latter does run on an internal budget. Neither are exactly close to Thunder Bay, but are closer than New York and Carolina.

Toronto is a rebuilding team. Marc Staal could be a good mentor for their young defensemen coming through the system. Eric can be a good mentor for their young forwards.

Trade Marc to Toronto for their 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd next year. The Rangers could also get a decent prospect if they retain salary. Eric signs with Toronto as a free agent to a 5 year retirement contract.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I've been saying this for a while, RB.

Toronto and Ottawa both will have a lot of cap space this summer, though the latter does run on an internal budget. Neither are exactly close to Thunder Bay, but are closer than New York and Carolina.

Toronto is a rebuilding team. Marc Staal could be a good mentor for their young defensemen coming through the system. Eric can be a good mentor for their young forwards.

Trade Marc to Toronto for their 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd next year. The Rangers could also get a decent prospect if they retain salary. Eric signs with Toronto as a free agent to a 5 year retirement contract.

Toronto employs analytics, ipso facto, they won't employ Marc Staal.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Speaking of Carolina though, I wonder if they could be a landing spot for Rick Nash. They only have something like $39M allocated for next year and are a pretty young team.

Edit: Maybe not. Forgot his contract is backloaded.

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Speaking of Carolina though, I wonder if they could be a landing spot for Rick Nash. They only have something like $39M allocated for next year and are a pretty young team.
Nash wouldn't waive for Carolina last time, wouldn't imagine he would now.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Isn't his NMC a limited NTC now? Carolina could still be off his list though.
I'm not sure of the specifics of his no-trade protection, but I'd imagine the teams that were interested in the past would get priority on a limited NTC.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Toronto employs analytics, ipso facto, they won't employ Marc Staal.

Why? I think all teams nowadays employ analytics, we do for example but AV does not always take the same decisions some fans would like him to take. Right?

You need a lot of things on a hockey team to be successful.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Why? I think all teams nowadays employ analytics, we do for example but AV does not always take the same decisions some fans would like him to take. Right?

Toronto has an assistant GM that they're likely grooming for GM that's a big proponent of analytics, so it's a little different than the Rangers who have a guy in an office playing in R that no one talks to.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Toronto has an assistant GM that they're likely grooming for GM that's a big proponent of analytics, so it's a little different than the Rangers who have a guy in an office playing in R that no one talks to.

^Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad