Speculation: NYR Roster Building Thread Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
chill the F out dude. its kinda meant as a joke, and kinda meant seriously. Like "hey G, we're gonna give you the regular season off to recuperate, and bc of the CBA rules, you'll actually be eligible to play in the playoffs"

honestly, none of that was really directed at you...it was a mini-rant against Girardi...didnt mean anything by it. :yo:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Its not the money per se that scares me of Stamkos, but I do not quite see him as an elite franchise player. He is way too much of a sniper to belong among the most valuable players in this league. IE guys that are good and make the players around them better.

But I would go after Stamkos at 11m per if we could deal Nash and Staal without taking money back, no doubt. You need high end players to, sometimes people make it out to be like a Nash dump would be addition by subtraction if Nash isn't scoring. A lot of aspects are neglected when doing that. Stamkos right handed shot would be very valuable on our PP, no doubt. He would help us. And most importantly, we aren't going to have many options getting top line talent in the coming years. If you can get one in Stamkos even if it's 11m per year, you got to look into it.

stamkos can skate too..hes not dany heatley shooting the puck but doing nothing else out there. the kid can move. the problem is, i dont think any player in this league is worth that much money...frankly im not even sure henrik is worth what hes being paid...but considering who he is, and what he means to this franchise, i understand the contract.

BarbaraAlphanse

Not if you ask Stamkos. The guy wants to play center.

Yea but I wonder if a cup contender comes calling with a more revered coach if he'll be more amendable.

I'm not really interested in him. But I definitely see him being a target. It is the ranger way.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Yea but I wonder if a cup contender comes calling with a more revered coach if he'll be more amendable.
I'm not really interested in him. But I definitely see him being a target. It is the ranger way.

unless both Nash and either Staal/Girardi are moved,
how would we retain the important FA's AND fit Stamkos under our Cap?

BarbaraAlphanse

Doubtful. Also I can't get behind signing a guy just to play him out of position.

I can't get behind paying a guy 10+ mill to perform comparably to Rick Nash. I don't care where he is playing. If you're being paid that much you sure as hell be setting the world ablaze with your play.

rvdnsx

Jun 30, 2003
Team we could have in hindsight:

Kreider-Stepan-Tarasenko
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Duclair-Hayes-Cherepanov
Miller-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Skjei-Klein

Lundqvist
Raanta

This is if we drafted Chere and he didn't pass away, drafted Tarasenko instead of McIlrath, signed Stralman instead of Boyle and did not make the Yandle or Staal deal.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I can't get behind paying a guy 10+ mill to perform comparably to Rick Nash. I don't care where he is playing. If you're being paid that much you sure as hell be setting the world ablaze with your play.

guy is scoring 70+ points every year and he's 25 years old. Max contract takes him to 33-34 years old, still time for him to sign a multi year non-35+ contract with either us or another team.

That's worth the $10M

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
As a unique specimen, kreider would be harder to replace

not really. He's big and fast. So was Hagelin. So is Helm. So is Stalberg.

But tell me how often a 50 point defenseman that's affordable comes along. I'd love to hear the suggestions! (hint, you won't have any!)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
kreider must stay but stepan must go?

Stepan is plateaued. Nice but no real upside.
Kreider is still just getting there and scratching the surface of HUGE upside.
Stepan = sell high

can't wait till Ryan Haggarty becomes a 20 point throwaway ECHL winger. That'll show bern. lol

glad our backup has done such a nice job, but would have assumed the reserves we have could have handled it. Haggery still a work in process but legit offensive ability, not to be discarded too quickly.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Stepan is plateaued. Nice but no real upside.
Kreider is still just getting there and scratching the surface of HUGE upside.
Stepan = sell high

Not really. Stepan might have peaked, but he's also a solid 2-way 60 point centerman, locked in for an additional 5 years at a $6.5M affordable rate.

For comparison, Paul Stastny, who is declining, makes $7M for the next 2-3 years.

glad our backup has done such a nice job, but would have assumed the reserves we have could have handled it. Haggery still a work in process but legit offensive ability, not to be discarded too quickly.

And what could have possibly made you see this? The guy lived on the PP in college. He's a nice player, but his "upside" is no more than an average 3rd liner at best.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Drouin is playing some really good hockey for Tampa. Yzerman will want 2x as much this summer assuming they trade the player. Yzerman could potentially need to replace Stamkos. Watch Drouin be that guy. The Rangers have interest in Drouin who would be a long-term solution at forward.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Drouin is playing some really good hockey for Tampa. Yzerman will want 2x as much this summer assuming they trade the player. Yzerman could potentially need to replace Stamkos. Watch Drouin be that guy. The Rangers have interest in Drouin who would be a long-term solution at forward.

Can't imagine what we would have to give up for him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Can't imagine what we would have to give up for him.

Starts with one of McDonagh or Hayes most likely...

It's something to consider though. McDonagh++ for Drouin+, keep Staal, resign Yandle, promote McIlrath and Skjei to full time duties. Move Nash for futures. Acquire Shattenkirk?

Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Drouin-Brassard-Zuccarello

Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Diaz
UFA 7th

Jan 8, 2012
NY

It's something to consider though. McDonagh++ for Drouin+, keep Staal, resign Yandle, promote McIlrath and Skjei to full time duties. Move Nash for futures. Acquire Shattenkirk?

Kreider-Stepan-Miller
Drouin-Brassard-Zuccarello

Yandle-McIlrath
Staal-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Diaz
UFA 7th

Yes let's trade a position of weakness for a position of relative strength.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, no. Let's not give that up for Drouin.

Why do people keep suggesting trading McDonagh here? Skjei has played like 12 NHL games, Staal is getting older and breaking down, and Yandle is a UFA. Yeah, let's trade our captain, one of our best players, and our mainstay on defense for a kid who's caused nothing but drama yet for Tampa.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I would never consider dealing McD for Drouin, but if EDM would give up Draisarl plus their first I would consiider it...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

McDonagh or Hayes isn't exactly the same value. And why would the Rangers have add to a McDonagh/Drouin trade? Why are people even considering moving McDonagh. I do not see Staal's play suddenly making McDonagh available.

BarbaraAlphanse

McDonagh or Hayes isn't exactly the same value. And why would the Rangers have add to a McDonagh/Drouin trade? Why are people even considering moving McDonagh. I do not see Staal's play suddenly making McDonagh available.

For me - concerns with durability. Play that is good but expected to be better. Defensive depth on the left side. And recouping 2 potential bonafide top liners before their prime years.

All of that makes trading McD fathomable to me.

BarbaraAlphanse

guy is scoring 70+ points every year and he's 25 years old. Max contract takes him to 33-34 years old, still time for him to sign a multi year non-35+ contract with either us or another team.

That's worth the $10M

Meh. I'd be cautiously optimistic. But I would allocate $$ elsewhere... If I had the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad