Confirmed Trade: [NYR/OTT] Rangers trade Vlad Namestnikov ($750k retained) to Senators for Nick Ebert, '21 4th

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's almost worthless due to the fact that the chances of drafting an NHL caliber player, let alone a superstar, is very low. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare.
Johnny Gaudreau

You're right, it's rare, but it's still a shot we rather have. Keeping Namesnikov on our current team was going to provide him with 3rd/4th line minutes and chances are he wasn't putting up more than 30 points, so even at trade deadline I'm not sure what realistic expectations would be.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well Namestnikov and JT Miller are both gone from their teams. I still say probably TB wins that one since they gained a 1st rounder for Miller.

Reactions: pld459666

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Chances of getting a regular player in the fourth are very low. Certainly worth trading a fourth for an established player.

I wouldn't bother as many have issues comprehending that just because something can happen , doesn't make it a good idea to plan around. Probability matters , most elite players come from the 1st round , it doesn't mean they don't exist beyond the first 31 picks...

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I wouldn't bother as many have issues comprehending that just because something can happen , doesn't make it a good idea to plan around. Probability matters , most elite players come from the 1st round , it doesn't mean they don't exist beyond the first 31 picks...
Not true for TB. Vasilevskiy is the only 1st round pick on the Bolts since Hedman on 2009.
Connolly, Namestnikov, Koekkoek, Drouin, Deangelo, Howden all traded and too soon for Foote brothers to make it to the NHL
Bolts do a lot better in letter rounds or undrafted players. Kucherov was bottom of the 2nd, Point 3rd, Palat bottom of the 7th, and Johnson (undrafted).

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Namestnikov is one of the lowest IQ players I've ever seen. He just didn't know what was going on during a game. Decent skill level, but a mouth breather.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Not true for TB. Vasilevskiy is the only 1st round pick on the Bolts since Hedman on 2009.
Connolly, Namestnikov, Koekkoek, Drouin, Deangelo, Howden all traded and too soon for Foote brothers to make it to the NHL
Bolts do a lot better in letter rounds or undrafted players. Kucherov was bottom of the 2nd, Point 3rd, Palat bottom of the 7th, and Johnson (undrafted).

So once again the minority case (one that is nearly impossible to replicate) is what others should be pointing to as a model of predictable success? Everybody trade your 1st round picks , you can find a 100+ point player in the 2nd round! What a simple (and inaccurate) way of looking at things , especially when you used J.T Miller (1st round pick) to get McDonaugh(another 1st round pick) , Sergachev is a top 10 pick (which you used your 3rd overall selection to acquire) , Stamkos/Hedman are both 1st overall picks...I don't understand what point you are trying to make? Good job Tampa is much better at finding gems , still doesn't change the fact that the 1st rounder will turn into an NHLer a lot more times than the other rounds (there are exceptions to nearly any rule , pointing that out is meaningless).

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
So once again the minority case (one that is nearly impossible to replicate) is what others should be pointing to as a model of predictable success? Everybody trade your 1st round picks , you can find a 100+ point player in the 2nd round! What a simple (and inaccurate) way of looking at things , especially when you used J.T Miller (1st round pick) to get McDonaugh(another 1st round pick) , Sergachev is a top 10 pick (which you used your 3rd overall selection to acquire) , Stamkos/Hedman are both 1st overall picks...I don't understand what point you are trying to make? Good job Tampa is much better at finding gems , still doesn't change the fact that the 1st rounder will turn into an NHLer a lot more times than the other rounds (there are exceptions to nearly any rule , pointing that out is meaningless).
IIRC when doing internal research we actually found that most players that were in the top 20% of players based on production came from picks 20-45ish, don't remember the exact. So... you're both right, and wrong.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
IIRC when doing internal research we actually found that most players that were in the top 20% of players based on production came from picks 20-45ish, don't remember the exact. So... you're both right, and wrong.

Nothing you've provided goes agaisnt what I've said...Especially since you didn't elaborate which part of the 20 to 45 produced more of the 20% and even if I take that statistic at face value it still doesn't disprove that most of the NHL talent comes from the 1st round...

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Nothing you've provided goes agaisnt what I've said...Especially since you didn't elaborate which part of the 20 to 45 produced more of the 20% and even if I take that statistic at face value it still doesn't disprove that most of the NHL talent comes from the 1st round...
"Nothing goes against what I said"
Players in the top 20 percentile came from picks positioned at the end of the first round and the front half of the second... but i'm afraid i'm no longer with the club and don't have access to those stats anymore.

What i'm getting at is you're arguing a very arbitrary point of "first round" when you should really look at it as picks 1-90, 91-120, etc.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's funny, I dont dislike the trade, the value is there, but I just dont get it from Ottawa's POV.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
4th line demotion well?

He had no future in NY ... now that he’s gone they have space to do something else or just play the kids

I am not saying we should not have traded him, but that return we got was brutal. It's as if after Zibanejad scored a hat trick against them they called up crying demanding for some compensation for getting screwed in that trade.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
"Nothing goes against what I said"
Players in the top 20 percentile came from picks positioned at the end of the first round and the front half of the second... but i'm afraid i'm no longer with the club and don't have access to those stats anymore.

What i'm getting at is you're arguing a very arbitrary point of "first round" when you should really look at it as picks 1-90, 91-120, etc.

But is there more players from1-20 then 21 - 41? Because the numbers you show seem like a random start place wheer a few players would skew the stats for a good ten years.
The gap of production from 1-10 vrs 31-41 is probably huge
Just like the gap of 1-31 vrs 32-63 is probably larger
There is zero reason to give props to the 90th pick just because the first 40 guys picked were good.

Last edited:

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
if Vlad does well and produces, he could end up on a contender come tdl, or he has some offers next off season. Or its just proof he belongs in the khl. Its just sad hes a better option then what we have in the minors. another teams 4th liner.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I am not saying we should not have traded him, but that return we got was brutal. It's as if after Zibanejad scored a hat trick against them they called up crying demanding for some compensation for getting screwed in that trade.
If the compensation was Namestnikov, they need to work on their puppy eyes and do better. Namestnikov looked engaged in the first 2 games but were you expecting him to start dominating games and putting up points with us on the 3rd or 4th line, upping his trade value? There's no point in having him in a bottom role. If this was the off-season I would have done this trade for a 6th just to gain some cap space, he's that irrelevant to us. Hopefully he has a bigger role with the Sens and gets himself a decent contract.

Reactions: bernmeister

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
if Vlad does well and produces, he could end up on a contender come tdl, or he has some offers next off season. Or its just proof he belongs in the khl. Its just sad hes a better option then what we have in the minors. another teams 4th liner.

That's not entirely accurate. We don't know how Batherson or Brown or Norris or Davidsson or Paul or Formenton etc. would do with an extended look in the NHL. He's a better option because Ottawa is in no rush to promote their youth (I assume).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad