Confirmed Trade: [NYR/OTT] Rangers trade Vlad Namestnikov ($750k retained) to Senators for Nick Ebert, '21 4th

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Maybe Namestnikov’s time in Ottawa will be a little more interesting especially at the prospect of playing on a line with Abramov and Anisimov.

Ottawa’s top 12 actually looks somewhat respectable.
Line 1 LW Tkachuk C White RW Ryan
Line 2 LW Duclair C Pageau RW C. Brown
Line 3 LW Abramov C Anisimov RW Namestnikov
Line 4 LW Ennis C Tierney RW Boedker

If only they didn't have AHL quality center depth then they might actually have a pretty decent set of forwards.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Good trade for the Sens. They'll flip him for a better return at the deadline.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You know they put Nieves on waivers in order to send him down to hartford right? I'm curious if you still think Boo Nieves is the future 1C with how zibanejad has been playing

they also sent Kravtsov and Chytil down to juggle the roster

I never said IN A VACUUM Boo was a 1C for them or anyone else.
In a vacuum his projected top mark is 3C, MAYBE 2C in a good fit.

However, as I am on record noting, the fit here is Kreider. Nieves on paper is an ideal complement to Kreider (driver of possession) and the correct RW who is a finisher w/acceptably high scorer skills. That should be Zib, not b'c he isn't good as a 1C, he is, but b'c we have other first line options, and we can return the righty shot Zib to bookend with lefty Kreider, which is known to work well in the past. Nieves has the size, superior speed, reach, passing skill, and defensive prowess [as seen by a very good +/- for a 4th liner w/no PP, and scrub Ws who are black holes for scoring, suppressing Boo's own point totals]. The dominance of these Ws w/some support presence by Boo, and better Ds [Fox, Trouba, etc] would exploit offensively while Nieves could be counted on to get back defensively if there is too much pinching/overreach.

Like I said, Nieves should be attached to Kreider. BK, Before Kakko, Chris was the undisputed 1LW. With addition of KK, Chris is 2LW, so Nieves, should be 2C allowing righty shot Zib to 2RW. Zib on 2nd line strengthens that unit.

Ist line? IMO should be KK-Krav-Panarin. KK may ultimately play pivot, and maybe not, let's not rush him and while all these guys can do what chemistry dictates/drawn up plays suggest is best, start with lefty shot at LW, breadman switches from LW to RW, again, mostly for purposes of faceoffs, etc so not using weaker side on draws. Kravtsov is phenomenal vision and good other skills, has played pivot briefly very well in high level international play, and only adjustment to NHL is to get acclimated to size of rink, which he can handle physically, but needs mental adjustment contrary to his initial impulse, which he will revise with experience.

Chytil and others are other possibles here, but I think we are best off pushing him to third line, strengthening that. Sell Buch high.

trust that covers it.

Reactions: egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
they also sent Kravtsov and Chytil down to juggle the roster

I never said IN A VACUUM Boo was a 1C for them or anyone else.
In a vacuum his projected top mark is 3C, MAYBE 2C in a good fit.

However, as I am on record noting, the fit here is Kreider. Nieves on paper is an ideal complement to Kreider (driver of possession) and the correct RW who is a finisher w/acceptably high scorer skills. That should be Zib, not b'c he isn't good as a 1C, he is, but b'c we have other first line options, and we can return the righty shot Zib to bookend with lefty Kreider, which is known to work well in the past. Nieves has the size, superior speed, reach, passing skill, and defensive prowess [as seen by a very good +/- for a 4th liner w/no PP, and scrub Ws who are black holes for scoring, suppressing Boo's own point totals]. The dominance of these Ws w/some support presence by Boo, and better Ds [Fox, Trouba, etc] would exploit offensively while Nieves could be counted on to get back defensively if there is too much pinching/overreach.

Like I said, Nieves should be attached to Kreider. BK, Before Kakko, Chris was the undisputed 1LW. With addition of KK, Chris is 2LW, so Nieves, should be 2C allowing righty shot Zib to 2RW. Zib on 2nd line strengthens that unit.

Ist line? IMO should be KK-Krav-Panarin. KK may ultimately play pivot, and maybe not, let's not rush him and while all these guys can do what chemistry dictates/drawn up plays suggest is best, start with lefty shot at LW, breadman switches from LW to RW, again, mostly for purposes of faceoffs, etc so not using weaker side on draws. Kravtsov is phenomenal vision and good other skills, has played pivot briefly very well in high level international play, and only adjustment to NHL is to get acclimated to size of rink, which he can handle physically, but needs mental adjustment contrary to his initial impulse, which he will revise with experience.

Chytil and others are other possibles here, but I think we are best off pushing him to third line, strengthening that. Sell Buch high.

trust that covers it.

I'm convinced you don't watch Hockey.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think that way too much is being made of this. Over a guy that most Ranger fans couldn't wait to dump this offseason. Am I over the moon about the return? Of course not. Am I crestfallen? No.

This move:
- Gives the Rangers flexibility: both on the roster and with the cap
- Allows them to give more ice time to Lemieux and maybe some to McKegg, who has certainly earned that opportunity
- In theory allow the Rangers to ice a team that should be harder to play against

Namestnikov is an example of a guy who's resume is more impressive than the candidate. He was far from noticeable in the first two games, when he really had no room to be. The Rangers can now add guys to the lineup who fit the team's identity and what the coach wants. While gaining cap space.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If only they didn't have AHL quality center depth then they might actually have a pretty decent set of forwards.

Hmmm. Now, we're terrible, make no mistake about it, but Pageau has been very good his entire career - with the exception of the year he tore his Achilles. White is a 22 coming off a 41 point season and doesn't look right yet this year, but should be pretty good. Anisimov...has been terrible thus far, granted. Tierney is another (kind of underrated guy). He can play and put up 40+ points (closer to 50 last year).

I don't really think it's the Cs, I think it's the lack of experience and the lack of elite talent...and the defence is green and not fantastic and Anderson just turned 108 and our owner is terrible and our GM has made some amazingly stupid moves.

You know how it goes...most fans of teams know exactly the position we're in (maybe minus the idiot owner).

EDIT: And man...we need someone (anyone) who can win a faceoff.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Really? Lol the king was a 7th round pick. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. There are hidden gems all over drafts. It's a shot in the dark but no pick iin a draft is worthless
It's almost worthless due to the fact that the chances of drafting an NHL caliber player, let alone a superstar, is very low. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Namestnikov in my mind is overrated, and he is what he is, a third-liner when he comes to play. He is en root to playing himself out of the league if you ask me

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
It's almost worthless due to the fact that the chances of drafting an NHL caliber player, let alone a superstar, is very low. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare.

While I agree the whole point is freeing up cap space. A 4th rounder still has value in a draft and in trades.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
A fourth is almost worthless.
Ryan Callahan was a 4th round pick

The pick traded for Mark Messier when was traded to the Sharks.
Screenshot_20191008-121718_Chrome.jpg

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Namestnikov was one of my least favorite players on the Ranger's in recent times. Very underwhelming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad