Confirmed Trade: [NYR/OTT] Rangers trade Vlad Namestnikov ($750k retained) to Senators for Nick Ebert, '21 4th

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
oooof, Nick Ebert. There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Dude was like a projected top-10 prospect his D-1 year, then had a horrific draft year and ended up being the last player taken in the entire draft in 2012.

I figured he was playing in Europe or something.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
It's funny, I dont dislike the trade, the value is there, but I just dont get it from Ottawa's POV.
Multiple people question this from a Sens POV but its actually pretty simple...give up a 4th rounder in a future yr for a player that they can showcase for a few months and trade at the deadline for likely multiple picks (and/or a much better and sooner pick). I wouldnt be surprised to see the Sens trade him at the deadline for a 3rd in the 2020 draft and possibly another pick in 2021. So essentially 3rd in 2020 (+any other pick) > 4th in 2021...worst case, they'll recoup the 4th at the very least.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Multiple people question this from a Sens POV but its actually pretty simple...give up a 4th rounder in a future yr for a player that they can showcase for a few months and trade at the deadline for likely multiple picks (and/or a much better and sooner pick). I wouldnt be surprised to see the Sens trade him at the deadline for a 3rd in the 2020 draft and possibly another pick in 2021. So essentially 3rd in 2020 (+any other pick) > 4th in 2021...worst case, they'll recoup the 4th at the very least.
That's probably the thinking... but Vlad is going to struggle mightily without elite talent around him. Weirdly, I think there's an outside shot he clicks with somebody. PP1 time would help, if you've got a spot to spare.

I don't know. I think you're right and Ott will be shopping him in a few months. At the same time, I think it's a huge gamble, because most teams/scouts are pretty aware that Vlad's best moments were a bit of a mirage.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
That's probably the thinking... but Vlad is going to struggle mightily without elite talent around him. Weirdly, I think there's an outside shot he clicks with somebody. PP1 time would help, if you've got a spot to spare.

I don't know. I think you're right and Ott will be shopping him in a few months. At the same time, I think it's a huge gamble, because most teams/scouts are pretty aware that Vlad's best moments were a bit of a mirage.

To be fair, huge gamble and 4th round pick aren't typically used in the same sentence.

Reactions: Steeler23

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I don't know why this is hard for some people to understand.
the value is even more then that. its 3m for the trade dead line and 2.5m next year savings as we most likely have rookies hitting performance bonuses. The overage carries to next season if it cant be paid under this years cap. His salary being shed ensures we don't get dinged with performance bonus dead cap next year. Moving Names for anyhing and not taking a contract back with a nhl cap hit is a massive win.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
the value is even more then that. its 3m for the trade dead line and 2.5m next year savings as we most likely have rookies hitting performance bonuses. The overage carries to next season if it cant be paid under this years cap. His salary being shed ensures we don't get dinged with performance bonus dead cap next year. Moving Names for anyhing and not taking a contract back with a nhl cap hit is a massive win.
Absolutely. This is the biggest value the Rangers got back. The pic and player are either gravy or semantics.

Flexibility—either in the form of roster spots or cap space—is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shootertooter

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

This logic would make sense for some teams, but I'm not sure it does for Ottawa. Namestnikov's salary this year is 4 mil. Even if he only spends half the year on Ottawa, that's still 2 mil out of Melnyk's pocket. Is he paying that in the hopes of adding a 3rd round pick? If so, that would be very out of character for him.

Reactions: TheNewEra

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
This logic would make sense for some teams, but I'm not sure it does for Ottawa. Namestnikov's salary this year is 4 mil. Even if he only spends half the year on Ottawa, that's still 2 mil out of Melnyk's pocket. Is he paying that in the hopes of adding a 3rd round pick? If so, that would be very out of character for him.
First off, .75m retained, and Nick Ebert makes 300k. That brings the salary down to 2.95m/yr. Second off, I don't think its just about that. It's about getting a decent player, too, and helping to ensure that we don't need to force a player who isn't ready into the lineup. I also wouldn't be entirely surprised to see us re-sign him if the price is right, and trade a player like Pageau, who will likely demand too much money and will get a very good return from a contender

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
First off, .75m retained, and Nick Ebert makes 300k. That brings the salary down to 2.95m/yr. Second off, I don't think its just about that. It's about getting a decent player, too, and helping to ensure that we don't need to force a player who isn't ready into the lineup. I also wouldn't be entirely surprised to see us re-sign him if the price is right, and trade a player like Pageau, who will likely demand too much money and will get a very good return from a contender
Garrioch said last night that he’s likely not here past this season, whether or not he’s traded at the deadline.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Garrioch said last night that he’s likely not here past this season, whether or not he’s traded at the deadline.

Ah interesting, I didn't watch the segment. Guess that theory goes. Either way I think Namestnikov will be a useful player for us for the reasons expressed above. Not gonna be an important player, but he's a useful enough plug who will recoup the assets sent out for him

Reactions: bernmeister

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ah interesting, I didn't watch the segment. Guess that theory goes. Either way I think Namestnikov will be a useful player for us for the reasons expressed above. Not gonna be an important player, but he's a useful enough plug who will recoup the assets sent out for him
Now, Garrioch isn’t exactly the most reliable guy, on the best of days, so that can be taken with a grain of salt. If he’s saying something, it’s usually based on what the organization wants him to say, as he is connected deeply with the organization. Whether or not it’s true (I’m sure him saying Sens expected to sign Stone was what the Sens wanted him to say, even if they knew it wasn’t true) is yet to be seen.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Remember that the Rangers retained 750K in cap hit/salary so its actually not 4m but 3.25m. But the cap isnt calculated "yearly", its actually calculated on a daily basis so its worth noting that because the trade occurred a few days after the start of the season, the Rangers paid some additional portion of his salary. Thus right now he's projected to account for 3,162,634 in salary/cap space assuming he makes it to the end of the season.

And no I dont think he makes it to the end of the year or even actually the trade deadline either. Last yr guys were getting traded in late Jan (1 month before the deadline) which saves a bit of cap hit that way. So thats probably when I'm guessing the Sens are going to try to trade him...around the time they will likely have spent 1M in salary which isnt a ton considering the potential return. I think even with Melnyk's typical M.O., 1M isnt too much to get a better pick.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Remember that the Rangers retained 750K in cap hit/salary so its actually not 4m but 3.25m. But the cap isnt calculated "yearly", its actually calculated on a daily basis so its worth noting that because the trade occurred a few days after the start of the season, the Rangers paid some additional portion of his salary. Thus right now he's projected to account for 3,162,634 in salary/cap space assuming he makes it to the end of the season.

And no I dont think he makes it to the end of the year or even actually the trade deadline either. Last yr guys were getting traded in late Jan (1 month before the deadline) which saves a bit of cap hit that way. So thats probably when I'm guessing the Sens are going to try to trade him...around the time they will likely have spent 1M in salary which isnt a ton considering the potential return. I think even with Melnyk's typical M.O., 1M isnt too much to get a better pick.

I know how the cap is calculated. That's why I said half the year, he would cost half. I forgot about the retained amount.

Namestnikov was on the Rangers roster for 6 days. There are approximately 186 days in the season. If the Senators wait until the trade deadline to trade him, he will be on their roster for more than half the season. It's likely that he will end up costing them at least 2 mil in actual money. Even if it's only 1 mil, that's still more than I would expect Melnyk to dish out just to get a 3rd round pick.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Now, Garrioch isn’t exactly the most reliable guy, on the best of days, so that can be taken with a grain of salt. If he’s saying something, it’s usually based on what the organization wants him to say, as he is connected deeply with the organization. Whether or not it’s true (I’m sure him saying Sens expected to sign Stone was what the Sens wanted him to say, even if they knew it wasn’t true) is yet to be seen.

Definitely, but if Garrioch is saying it theres a good chance that its a sentiment (posturized or legitimate) being expressed by the front office.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I liked his game last night. Hustled all over the ice, skates well, made a few nice passes.

Decent 3rd line guy from one game eye test

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
I liked his game last night. Hustled all over the ice, skates well, made a few nice passes.

Decent 3rd line guy from one game eye test

Namestnikov does plenty of things well, he just couldn't finish for sh*t. I liked the idea of him possibly getting a shot b/w Kakko and Kreider for the reasons you hit on

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Names is a UFA, do you think Ott. will resign him or move him at the deadline? Garioch isn't a swami suggesting he isn't back after the season.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, enjoyed his game. Was in the front row with the other 8 people who were there and paid attention to him. He really did well with Anisimov too, who needed a lift after his horrific debut.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's as if Namestnikov's stats were inflated playing in Tampa.
Not only in Tampa, but on a line with Stamkos and Kucherov. People who thought he was more than an average 3rd liner were out of their minds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad