Confirmed Trade: [NYR/OTT] Rangers trade Vlad Namestnikov ($750k retained) to Senators for Nick Ebert, '21 4th

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I haven't heard anything regarding his bad attitude. I heard Ott. took issue with his DJ'ing and questioned his dedication to hockey.........when he was 19. At the time, with the emergence of Pageau, that pushed Zib to 3C and they opted to send him to Binghampton instead......... it might be easy to assume a player could become disenfranchised with that.

Actually, they let him go because he couldn't elevate his game. He showed very little to no development / drive in the time he was there. It had nothing to do with him DJ'ing, lol.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I guess it is all how one values the "return"
3.25M in cap relief is a pretty decent return for a
guy who had no real future in their organization,
especially when you consider NY was close to the cap.
They gain flexibility, which could turn out to be invaluable moving forward
They also got a marginal AHL player and a mid pick.
That seems like gravy. I think both teams are happy with the outcome.
I think for NY, this is addition by subtraction.
I agree, but value-wise it wasn't that good. But the cap-flexibility is awesome.

I get why the Rangers did this. But they should've gotten a better prospect/player back. But all in all, I'm fine with the move. Due to the cap-flexibility we get.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
What better offer did the Rangers pass up on? Was it at last year’s trade deadline?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Actually, they let him go because he couldn't elevate his game. He showed very little to no development / drive in the time he was there. It had nothing to do with him DJ'ing, lol.

Drive and development?
His stat line in Ott reads like this........
2012-2013- 42 games.....20 pts
2013-2014- 69 games.....33pts
2014-2015- 80 games.....46pts
2016-2016- 81 games......51pts

He seemed to be getting better and better.
Isn't that improvement a testament to developing?

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Drive and development?

They traded him because they didn’t want to pay him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Are you really comparing what Zibanejad did in his last year in Ottawa to what Names did last season? LOLOL

Swift's entire reason for being is to defend Pierre Dorion at all costs.

If Pierre made the trade, it has to be a huge win for Ottawa.

Reactions: Kendo

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Drive and development?

More to the story than the points. I wouldn't have made that trade at the time, but there was a good argument for selling high on Zibanejad (not that this was the case lol). Depite those 46 / 51 pt seasons, he went invisible for long stretches and wasn't good defensively. He looked like he didn't care and wasn't the type of player you'd want in your top 6. He obviously turned it around from what I've seen.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
More to the story than the points. I wouldn't have made that trade at the time, but there was a good argument for selling high on Zibanejad (not that this was the case lol). Depite those 46 / 51 pt seasons, he went invisible for long stretches and wasn't good defensively. He looked like he didn't care and wasn't the type of player you'd want in your top 6. He obviously turned it around from what I've seen.

I guess it doesn’t matter as the Sens sold off the whole team shortly after, zibanejad was just the first to go.

Reactions: Shootertooter

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
At the time they said they wanted a LH centre and they targeted Brassard.
Sens gave up a 2nd to the Rangers to eat his signing bonus. This was the first red flag that the team was being ordered to shed salary.

Brassard helped in the playoffs and we thank him for that. It is easy to look back at a trade and see how badly it went.

This is a team that traded Heatley for Michalek and Cheechoo.
Spezza for Nick Paul and Alex Chiasson.
Signed Redden over Chara.
Tugnutt for Barasso.

Just add it to the list of regrets.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Sens gave up a 2nd to the Rangers to eat his signing bonus. This was the first red flag that the team was being ordered to shed salary.

Brassard helped in the playoffs and we thank him for that. It is easy to look back at a trade and see how badly it went.

Tugnutt for Barasso.

That's not fair at all. Heatley demanded a trade, had a NTC, and had already vetoed a trade. Good luck getting value for that.

Spezza - no one wanted. You think they didn't try to get the best possible package? You think they wanted to settle for what they got?

Signing Redden over Chara will haunt this franchise forever, that was before capologists and no one knew what they were doing, but it was still horrible.

Talk regrets and the Hoffman for Boedker comes to mind, as does Bishop for Conacher.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

Tugnutt for Barasso.

Forget the second.. trading zibanejad for brassard was the red flag.. the second on top.. we should have all known right then. We were blinded by the success of our team but that was move one, the first dominoe

Reactions: h2owned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->