Post-Game Talk: NYR @ Montreal - October 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
i think the problem with the slow starts is awful line combos that AV tries to force to work before changing up to something at helps everyone.

still waiting to c
Kreider-Stepan-nash
Miller-brass-zucc
lindberg-hayes-fast
Stalberg-moore-stoll

I like those lines

Need to change the PP. It's absolutely insane how little they change despite it being so unsuccessful.

Try two on the half boards and Yandle alone at the point. We ran it through McD like that at some point and it did decent.

What's stopping them from hiring a dedicated PP coach? It's been a problem for so long.

I don't really get it either a 1-3-1 where either side of the 3 falls back to the point when they do not have possession seems like their best bet.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
AV's teams always start slow. As fans, we should not be worried at all. Just go back to the beginning of the 2013-2014 season. BRUTAL. The Rangers ended up as EC champs. I don't remember last year starting so peachy either. This team will get it going. After all, we are 3-2-0. If we were 0-5, yeah, I might be worried...a little.
I had a nagging feeling that the 3-0 start was too good to be true. Now the team is back to normal "October" play.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I had a nagging feeling that the 3-0 start was too good to be true. Now the team is back to normal "October" play.

As long as they go back to normal "April" play, it doesn't really matter.

There's a reason the Blackhawks board wouldn't give a **** about a "bad 3-2 start"

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I like those lines

I don't really get it either a 1-3-1 where either side of the 3 falls back to the point when they do not have possession seems like their best bet.

They do run a 1-3-1 already. Problem is there's no shooting threat on the half-boards so teams don't have to worry about the shot.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They do run a 1-3-1 already. Problem is there's no shooting threat on the half-boards so teams don't have to worry about the shot.

But it does not look like this, I can not find any recent Ranger PP screenshots, and this is just from memory but it sure looks a lot more like the Rangers have two point men out by the blue line to me when I watch.

CBJ-PP4.png

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Rangers don't have a heavy enough shot for this.

They used to use a similar formation and have Zucc as the near board QB player.

As far as not having a shot, I don't see how having two point men who do not have a shot helps. It's not like it opens up any cross ice passing lanes or down low ones that way either, it appears to me that it only accomplishes what we see, lots of outside the slot keep away.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
They used to use a similar formation and have Zucc as the near board QB player.

As far as not having a shot, I don't see how having two point men who do not have a shot helps. It's not like it opens up any cross ice passing lanes or down low ones that way either, it appears to me that it only accomplishes what we see, lots of outside the slot keep away.

I know its not recent but that's what they run. Stepan in the slot is exactly where he should be too.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The 3-0 start was mostly a mirage, very little sustained offense and chemistry among the lines, except maybe for the 3rd. This is what happens when you run into a good team that doesn't hand you grade A chances. So glad AV realized the issue with Hayes at wing. Is Av also seeing the decline of Girardi? or did he drop down McDonagh instead? I couldn't tell but McDonagh-Boyle and McDonagh-Klein seemed to play ok. .

I'm all for:
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Brass-Zucc
Lindberg-Hayes-Stalberg
Etem-Moore-Fast and a few games for Stoll

I'm all about moving Hayes back to Center if there is no improvement in the next 3-5 games...

McDonagh-Klein was actually working as a pairing. The issue is that now you have to work with Staal-Boyle (average pairing) and Yandle-Girardi, which is going to kill Yandle's effect on the game...

The solution internally is moving some guys out of position:

Staal-McDonagh
Yandle-Klein
Boyle-Girardi

It's a bit more top heavy, but the top 4 now looks formidable.

If they can't do this, then some guys need to be traded. Girardi is a complete anchor. Advanced stats had been telling this story for two years but everyone was all "ZHSDIUFSDOMGGGG GIRARDI IS A WARRIOR OMG SO GOOD **** corsi"...

now all the sudden his partner isn't playing well and now he looks like complete doodoo...

3 Stanley Cup Finals appearances
3 President's trophies
Different teams, Different players

Team goes 3-2 to start the season....coach sucks

Offense scores 1 goal in the past 2 games...defense sucks (0 defenses can go 2-0 in those two games, FYI...since it'd be oh I don't know..physically impossible)

The logic on here is terrifying

Please, go ahead and tell me the defense looked GOOD in this game... Go ahead...

I'll retort by calling you crazy..

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I know its not recent but that's what they run. Stepan in the slot is exactly where he should be too.

See that is how I remember it being, and maybe I am way off, but it has not seemed like that in the past couple games. Maybe they have been using Boyle or something, like I said I may be off and have to re-watch but it just seems like they are doing something different.

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
I thought Hank played great and Klein played well. I kind of feel this way about most games thus far this season. The rest of the team looked like trash after the first period. Defense is brutal at times especially when you think of salaries that they pull. I don't really care for Yandle and seeing Duclair do well makes it harder. Tis early on though who knows where the team will be come December.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
2 zip ( not counting the e/n goal) aint that bad against this team in that building. we never win there.

offensively, this team is challenged. big time. no shooters. too many straight ahead players who have tunnel vision. we can create with speed and size but then we have no ability to finish. we waste chances that we create via hard work because we cannot hit the net nor can we pick corners.

we hit shins.
legs
pipe
net
glass
or just flub shots.

our best (most highly paid players) are not producing. period.

if you take away the 4 goals from oscar lindberg, this team look pretty weak.

rick nash 1 assists in 5 game and tons of minutes. highest paid player and goal scorer extrordinaire.
ryan mcdonagh zero points in 5 games. never leaves the ice.
chris kreider 2 assists in 5 games. breakout season ?
dan boyle. 1 assists in 4 games. offensive dman ?

still believe this team will struggle to score and without a top 10 power play, prepare yourself for many 1 goal losses and shutouts against.

fix
the
powerplay

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
2 zip ( not counting the e/n goal) aint that bad against this team in that building. we never win there.

offensively, this team is challenged. big time. no shooters. too many straight ahead players who have tunnel vision. we can create with speed and size but then we have no ability to finish. we waste chances that we create via hard work because we cannot hit the net nor can we pick corners.

we hit shins.
legs
pipe
net
glass
or just flub shots.

our best (most highly paid players) are not producing. period.

if you take away the 4 goals from oscar lindberg, this team look pretty weak.

rick nash 1 assists in 5 game and tons of minutes. highest paid player and goal scorer extrordinaire.
ryan mcdonagh zero points in 5 games. never leaves the ice.
chris kreider 2 assists in 5 games. breakout season ?
dan boyle. 1 assists in 4 games. offensive dman ?

still believe this team will struggle to score and without a top 10 power play, prepare yourself for many 1 goal losses and shutouts against.

fix
the
powerplay

Sure some of that is true for the year but seriously most of what you said is just wait...what about:

The beginning of the season is meaningless in terms of long term projection. Does anyone else remember how awesome we looked when Aaron Voros started the season hot?

Does anyone truly believe that this Rangers team with a cold Rick Nash, a cold Derrick Brassard, a cold Chris Kreider, a cold Derek Stepan, and a cold Kevin Hayes is really representative of what this team is really like?

Absolutely not. For some reason, October is the bubonic plague to this team.
lmao for real.

Kreider, Hayes, Brassard, Nash all play great for years (well not Hayes but you get it). 5 games of not being good is apparently their true colors.

So remember the next time you want to make definitive analysis about a team merely 5 games in just stop. Chicken littles trying so hard. Folks it isn't complicated. A sports season is loaded with ups and downs. Seriously. That's it. 2 years in a row we got shellacked 6-0 in early season games ok? I swear it's like goldfish memory mode around here for some folks

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Need to change the PP. It's absolutely insane how little they change despite it being so unsuccessful.

Try two on the half boards and Yandle alone at the point. We ran it through McD like that at some point and it did decent.

What's stopping them from hiring a dedicated PP coach? It's been a problem for so long.

I really don't get why we have two pointmen. I always look to Philly's PP. They have Giroux and Voracek on their off-wing, playing on opposite half walls. Mark Streit on the point, and two big players in the slot/in front of the net. And that works so well for them. We have the players necessary to run that style of PP - it's just the idiot Arniel that refuses to change anything.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I really don't get why we have two pointmen. I always look to Philly's PP. They have Giroux and Voracek on their off-wing, playing on opposite half walls. Mark Streit on the point, and two big players in the slot/in front of the net. And that works so well for them. We have the players necessary to run that style of PP - it's just the idiot Arniel that refuses to change anything.

Exactly. And on top of that, we definitely, definitely don't have 4 players who are worth putting on the point on the PP. We have 2 in McD and Yandle. One point man on each unit makes so much more sense.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Exactly. And on top of that, we definitely, definitely don't have 4 players who are worth putting on the point on the PP. We have 2 in McD and Yandle. One point man on each unit makes so much more sense.

I think a Philly-style PP would make so much sense for this team. None of the PHI players I mentioned have great shots (although Giroux can sometimes really get a lot on his), but they make it work. Yandle in Streit's position. Stepan in Giroux's, Brassard in Voracek's. Kreider and one of Nash/Hayes/whoever in the low slot looking for quick one-timers/deflections/rebounds. Hell, the person in front of the net doesn't even need to be that skilled. Ryan White has found himself on Philly's 1PP unit many times.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I think a Philly-style PP would make so much sense for this team. None of the PHI players I mentioned have great shots (although Giroux can sometimes really get a lot on his), but they make it work. Yandle in Streit's position. Stepan in Giroux's, Brassard in Voracek's. Kreider and one of Nash/Hayes/whoever in the low slot looking for quick one-timers/deflections/rebounds. Hell, the person in front of the net doesn't even need to be that skilled. Ryan White has found himself on Philly's 1PP unit many times.

Streit has an excellent shot. Giroux loves one-timers, as does Voracek, and their both ideal half-wall players with different handedness.

Some insight into their powerplay, albeit from a couple years back.
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/570661

I would put Yandle and Stepan on opposite boards, Kreider in front, Nash in the high slot, and McDonagh at the point. 2nd unit would be Brassard and Miller on the boards, Boyle up top, Zucc in the high slot, and Hayes in front. But what do I know.

Point is, we're never going to play with a man up like Philly until we have a talent like Giroux. That's an elite offensive talent. And now they have Voracek too.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Streit has an excellent shot. Giroux loves one-timers, as does Voracek, and their both ideal half-wall players with different handedness.

Some insight into their powerplay, albeit from a couple years back.
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/570661

Good write-up. I'll admit the large drop off between Giroux and Stepan, but I think the Rangers could make it work. Brassard has a great shot that he's afraid to use. That could work.

It's worth trying anything new instead of the same crap we've been seeing for 2+ seasons under Arniel.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I agree that we want a stronger powerplay. However, the special teams situation can often distract from where the real improvements need to come. How many odd man rushes did we have last night where we didn't get a shot, either from overpass or indecision? How many times did we miss the net?

Fixing the powerplay is important. Fixing the PK, which hasn't been great, is slightly more important. Executing properly at even strength is way more important. It's fine to focus on the PP. let's just not forget about the bigger issues.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I agree that we want a stronger powerplay. However, the special teams situation can often distract from where the real improvements need to come. How many odd man rushes did we have last night where we didn't get a shot, either from overpass or indecision? How many times did we miss the net?

Fixing the powerplay is important. Fixing the PK, which hasn't been great, is slightly more important. Executing properly at even strength is way more important. It's fine to focus on the PP. let's just not forget about the bigger issues.

Very much so. I think it's too early into the season to worry about the PP anyway; the %s vary widely under such small sample sizes.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Streit is also a much more lethal shooter than Yandle but overall, Yandle is at worst == to Streit as a pointman with his vision/passing/ability to keep pucks alive at the line.

As you said, Stepan is a clear downgrade to Giroux but Giroux is an elite player in the league, not much you can do about that.

Simmonds is one of if not the best player around the net in the league. Dude is a lock for just under 30 goals a year by cleaning up the garbage in front.

Not sure if NYR have the personnel to play that kind of PP.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm not convinced that you need a lot of talent to have a good PP. There's not enough chaos out there with the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad