Confirmed with Link: [NYR/LA] Lias Andersson for 60th overall 2020

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Ya I was surprised he was not in over Amadio. That said Amadio was not the worst guy out there last night.
With the short camp it wasn’t a big surprise. It is the same for the late arrivals from the WJC, give it some more practice time and he’ll play...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
With the short camp it wasn’t a big surprise. It is the same for the late arrivals from the WJC, give it some more practice time and he’ll play...

I was more surprised with Anderson thanthe WJC guys. The WJC guys made sense to me .

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Andersson was probably in good shape and ready to go from playing, but keep in mind a lot of these newer guys in any form are still learning a system that many much more experienced nhlers struggled with last year.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I was more surprised with Anderson thanthe WJC guys. The WJC guys made sense to me .
I think he missed a practice or 2, and hadn’t spent time in LA before camp, unlike many had, so I suspect that both were factors. Also he doesn’t have the same system familiarity as Amadio etc. I’m playing devils advocate, as I don’t know for sure. He’s definitely a better player than Amadio IMO.

Reactions: YP44

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Also the waivers situation. A waived Amadio or Luff might get claimed to begin the season. A waived Amadio or Luff who hasn't produced 5 games in and gets dropped due to play is more unlikely to get claimed.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Is Lias on the team because of his dad or he is actually playing well?

He's been great so far, but to be fair, my expectations weren't that of a game-breaking seventh overall pick. He looks like he could fit on our second or third line very well right now. He's one of only a couple guys playing with an edge and he seems to always make the right, simple play. Pretty much every shift he takes resets the ice if the Kings are hemmed into their own zone, or else tilts it in LA's favor by providing sustained pressure for sixty seconds or so.

Ultimately I would like to see him find some chemistry with some of our better players. I wouldn't mind seeing a second line of Andersson - Vilardi - Carter, but hey, they don't pay me to make decisions around here. All of that to say that Andersson's play thus far has at the very least warranted the second round pick we traded away.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He's looked good. Plays hard both ways, his speed is better than in the past. The one criticism I'd have is his vision. He needs to use his linemates more but that could be just a chemistry thing that needs to build.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
So, this guy scored a goal. Off a breakaway after being in the box. Had to take 3 attempts/whacks before it got in, but at least, it's in. Could only go better from there right?

Reactions: BringTheReign

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
He was a top 10 pick for a reason. The talent is there and it could be a case of him just needing a change of scenery/swift kick in the pants to help get things clicking.

You like to think he’s moved well past the Lias Andersson who threw his world junior silver medal into the stands phase and has matured.

Had no issue at the time of deal in taking a swing for the fences with this kid. Might look back on this one in a few years as a very solid trade for this club.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
You like to think he’s moved well past the Lias Andersson who threw his world junior silver medal into the stands phase and has matured.

I know this is controversial, but I'm on the side of, I kind of understand and can appreciate why he did that. In some ways it reminds of of Justin Williams or Mike Richards, not that either of those players would do something like that, but more so in the sense of that ' just win' competitive mentality. That saying, "You win the gold and lose the silver" really does apply in this case and it's hard for me to look down on that.

I may be in the minority, but that made me like him even more and I hope he doesn't lose that mind set.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Plus, in my opinion, it shows tenacity that he didn’t just blow by the net and lose the chance to stuff in the loose puck. Many players would not have stopped quickly enough to get the 2nd/3rd chance.

Agreed. He's as promised thus far with regards to his nose around the net. He's always digging and taking flack in front.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
So Brad Richardson wasn't some amazing player for us but he was serviceable and has made a nice career for himself. DL traded a 2nd for him since the Kings had a ton of picks and prospects. This is similar in that sense but there is more upside when simply looking at draft pedigree. Even if Lias tops out as a Richardson type, this is still a great move because you can't just use all of your picks on prospects when you have a ton of them already.

It's not like DL's rebuild was some sort of newfound genius but I do think that Blake is pretty much following it to a tee.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
That was actually a great thing and said that back then as well.

I never understood this mature thing but over the years I have learnt there are big differences between how people from NA look at things compared to Europeans.

Reactions: Statto

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That was actually a great thing and said that back then as well.

I never understood this mature thing but over the years I have learnt there are big differences between how people from NA look at things compared to Europeans.

You may be right on the grand scale but I think in this instance it was just good old fashioned Canadian hockey superiority sneering at the Euro.

You can be damn sure if it were Dylan Cozens tossing that medal rather than Lias Andersson the narrative would have been different.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Lias reminds me a bit of the way Ryan Smyth played the game minus the crooked nose and stringy hair falling out of his helmet.

Token

May 15, 2019
Give Andersson a dozen games and he will work his way to the top-6. Gotta earn Todd’s trust.

Let’s smell the roses here, Lizotte is barely hanging on to that 2C pivot spot, and with Turcotte injured, Lias got a chance.

Besides, Blake has slowly built a solid pool of Swedes in LA, Andersson’s BFF, Moverare, is here, Grundy, Björnfot, Fagemo, Kempe, Sodergran ... and later Lee and Grans.

Kid is set up for success, and he has the right stuff to play NHL.

Shrewd move by Blake.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Give Andersson a dozen games and he will work his way to the top-6. Gotta earn Todd’s trust.

Let’s smell the roses here, Lizotte is barely hanging on to that 2C pivot spot, and with Turcotte injured, Lias got a chance.

Besides, Blake has slowly built a solid pool of Swedes in LA, Andersson’s BFF, Moverare, is here, Grundy, Björnfot, Fagemo, Kempe, Sodergran ... and later Lee and Grans.

Kid is set up for success, and he has the right stuff to play NHL.

Shrewd move by Blake.

That was a pretty shrewd move ala Dean Lombardi. :nod:

Reactions: Token

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad