Confirmed with Link: [NYR/LA] Lias Andersson for 60th overall 2020

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I know this is controversial, but I'm on the side of, I kind of understand and can appreciate why he did that. In some ways it reminds of of Justin Williams or Mike Richards, not that either of those players would do something like that, but more so in the sense of that ' just win' competitive mentality. That saying, "You win the gold and lose the silver" really does apply in this case and it's hard for me to look down on that.

I may be in the minority, but that made me like him even more and I hope he doesn't lose that mind set.

Well, a young Muhammad Ali threw his olympic gold medal into the Ohio River (although for radically different reason) and things seems to have worked out nicely for him.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
That was actually a great thing and said that back then as well.

I never understood this mature thing but over the years I have learnt there are big differences between how people from NA look at things compared to Europeans.
I sad before on here most NA pro’s I know, would toss a silver medal in the bin...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, a young Muhammad Ali threw his olympic gold medal into the Ohio River (although for radically different reason) and things seems to have worked out nicely for him.

I didn't know this story, will have to look it up!

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
You may be right on the grand scale but I think in this instance it was just good old fashioned Canadian hockey superiority sneering at the Euro.

You can be damn sure if it were Dylan Cozens tossing that medal rather than Lias Andersson the narrative would have been different.

I do recall Corey Hirsch who is Canadian supporting Lias. Recall he was on one of the networks but can’t find a clip of it. He did post to Twitter.

Swedish player Lias Andersson throws silver medal into stands

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Lias success is important because he fits into the Vilardi, Grundstrom, Clague class of youth that is breaking into the lineup right now. We can't have 8 rookies in the lineup. If these four 21 to 23 year olds become regular this season, then you're looking at Bjornfot, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Kupari, Madden and Akil Thomas getting a shot. Depending on how much ice time QB gets in whatever freaking league he plays in, he could make the big leap too next season. Good lord that's a lot of bullets in the chamber

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
If these four 21 to 23 year olds become regular this season, then you're looking at Bjornfot, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Kupari, Madden and Akil Thomas getting a shot. Depending on how much ice time QB gets in whatever freaking league he plays in, he could make the big leap too next season. Good lord that's a lot of bullets in the chamber

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Lias success is important because he fits into the Vilardi, Grundstrom, Clague class of youth that is breaking into the lineup right now. We can't have 8 rookies in the lineup. If these four 21 to 23 year olds become regular this season, then you're looking at Bjornfot, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Kupari, Madden and Akil Thomas getting a shot. Depending on how much ice time QB gets in whatever freaking league he plays in, he could make the big leap too next season. Good lord that's a lot of bullets in the chamber

I am always amazed on how Mikey Anderson is so underrated, sometimes forgotten that he is 21 with what..10 games played in the league?

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal

A lot of bullets indeed.

I know we're still coveting that high scoring winger, but I think we are set on our forwards. That is IF the kids hit their potential or close to it. The way I see it is it will be a huge success if Byfield turns into a superstar and Kaliyev's goalscoring translates into the NHL level. So you're looking at this

Primary Scoring: Byfield, Kaliyev, Vilardi, Turcotte
Secondary Scoring: Kempe, Fagemo, Madden, Kupari
Bottom 6 Scorers: Thomas, Andersson, Grundstrom

In every line you know you got a guy that has the skills and able to put the puck in the net. You have a constant threat on the ice. It might be a pipe dream that all our prospects will pan out or would only happen in EA NHL but it's certainly nice to think about.

Reactions: cyclones22

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
A lot of bullets indeed.

I know we're still coveting that high scoring winger, but I think we are set on our forwards. That is IF the kids hit their potential or close to it. The way I see it is it will be a huge success if Byfield turns into a superstar and Kaliyev's goalscoring translates into the NHL level. So you're looking at this

Primary Scoring: Byfield, Kaliyev, Vilardi, Turcotte
Secondary Scoring: Kempe, Fagemo, Madden, Kupari
Bottom 6 Scorers: Thomas, Andersson, Grundstrom

In every line you know you got a guy that has the skills and able to put the puck in the net. You have a constant threat on the ice. It might be a pipe dream that all our prospects will pan out or would only happen in EA NHL but it's certainly nice to think about.

I would kick the tires on Ryan-Nugent Hopkins.

Turk Kopitar Kaliyev
RNH Byfield Vilardi
Kempe Andersson Fagemo
Grundstrom Kupari Thomas
JAD\Madden

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
I know he's kind of been lost in the shuffle, but since being sent down he's looked really good in ONT, arguably their best forward. Creates offense and plays a fairly competitive, gritty game. Definitely not afraid to mix it up a little bit. I know he won't replace anyone on the Kings at the moment, but I'm a fan of his game and really hope he can eventually make the transition to the NHL. Still young so there's time. I think he could be a very good 3rd line player if everything pans out.

In the ONT comeback win today, Thomas of course went alpha male, but Andersson (and Byfield) played big roles in that as well.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I know he's kind of been lost in the shuffle, but since being sent down he's looked really good in ONT, arguably their best forward. Creates offense and plays a fairly competitive, gritty game. Definitely not afraid to mix it up a little bit. I know he won't replace anyone on the Kings at the moment, but I'm a fan of his game and really hope he can eventually make the transition to the NHL. Still young so there's time. I think he could be a very good 3rd line player if everything pans out.

In the ONT comeback win today, Thomas of course went alpha male, but Andersson (and Byfield) played big roles in that as well.

I mean, this was his M.O. in Hartford (AHL) as well. He always had good/decent AHL numbers (except the final time he was sent down).

The constant knock on him is that he doesn't have the footspeed to process the game as slow as he currently does, and doesn't process the game fast enough considering his foot speed, at the NHL level.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I still think he gets a spot on the Kings.

He brings a more unique element being a monster on the boards and within 15 feet of the net. Trying to make him a 200 ft C was a bad idea especially when you have Vilardi doing the same.

I guess then again so did Michael Mersch, but imo the tools are there, he'll get another season to try.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Even if he’s an only an AHL lifer, he’s contributing and providing valuable depth for the Reign. With the amount of younger prospects with higher value we have that need some insulation and support, that’s worth a very late 2nd.

But I do think he’s got a bottom six future in him at the NHL level.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Even if he’s an only an AHL lifer, he’s contributing and providing valuable depth d aq for the Reign. With the amount of younger prospects with higher value we have that need some insulation and support, that’s worth a very late 2nd.

But I do think he’s got a bottom six future in him at the NHL level.

Yup. Either he develops to be an NHL regular or he is helping develop future NHL regulars. The Reign have benefitted from him.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Andersson is a skilled offensive AHL player. Three primary areas of concern. His defensive awareness, which is still lacking at times even at the AHL level, his slightly below average but competent skating, and his face off skills as a center. You can't teach his skill, so he has a chance. When the Kings go 7-3-1 in the expansion, it will be interesting to see if he is protected. He'll be on the bubble, but there will be some pressure due to the trade to obtain him.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Andersson is a skilled offensive AHL player. Three primary areas of concern. His defensive awareness, which is still lacking at times even at the AHL level, his slightly below average but competent skating, and his face off skills as a center. You can't teach his skill, so he has a chance. When the Kings go 7-3-1 in the expansion, it will be interesting to see if he is protected. He'll be on the bubble, but there will be some pressure due to the trade to obtain him.
I don't see how the trade adds pressure to keep Andersson. Plenty of teams would give up a 2nd round pick to get out of the expansion draft intact. Several teams did that last time.

The pressure to keep Andersson has to come from Andersson. He's gotta make the Kings protect him.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I don't see how the trade adds pressure to keep Andersson. Plenty of teams would give up a 2nd round pick to get out of the expansion draft intact. Several teams did that last time.

The pressure to keep Andersson has to come from Andersson. He's gotta make the Kings protect him.

I agree, complete sunk cost fallacy to protect him because you (over)paid for him.

Hell would rather he gets grabbed and Kings keep Walker or Clague.

Reactions: Vino

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Lias is a helluva lot better than Lizotte and Wagner. Lizotte has been atrocious. Energy and effort without any ability to do anything else is worthless. No goals in 21 games and
isn't making plays. His game has way fallen off. AND YET. He will ALWAYS get 10-13 minutes. WHY?
Is he going to snap out of a 25 game funk and have a good game?

Luff sucks and has had more opportunities than Lias. Lias' skating is not that bad. He would beat Kopitar and Vilardi in a race.
The Kings need players that battle on the walls and go to the net. He has much better hands than Lizotte and Wagner and as good as half the forwards. Need some forwards with
some bite and he has that too. He has not had a real chance. All of the Ranger fans that chime in, have not seen him in over a year. His skating has improved since he was there.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Lias is a helluva lot better than Lizotte and Wagner. Lizotte has been atrocious. Energy and effort without any ability to do anything else is worthless. No goals in 21 games and
isn't making plays. His game has way fallen off. AND YET. He will ALWAYS get 10-13 minutes. WHY?
Is he going to snap out of a 25 game funk and have a good game?

Luff sucks and has had more opportunities than Lias. Lias' skating is not that bad. He would beat Kopitar and Vilardi in a race.
The Kings need players that battle on the walls and go to the net. He has much better hands than Lizotte and Wagner and as good as half the forwards. Need some forwards with
some bite and he has that too. He has not had a real chance. All of the Ranger fans that chime in, have not seen him in over a year. His skating has improved since he was there.

Agreed. He'll never land a top six role here and ideally he good be a very valuable bottom six player, potentially. People talk about his skating.. I'm no expert, but I can tell Vilardi is slow af. I can tell Wagner is a speed demon. Andersson seems to get from Point A to Point B just fine. He may not win the Ice Capades, but it's not like he's some lumbering slug.

All I know is when I saw his few games he got in LA, he looked pretty good initially until he got split up from Moore (I think) and Grundstrom. In ONT, he looks really good... the type of player I'd hope he can be in the NHL playing in the bottom six. Provide a little offense, compete, grind and go to the dirty areas.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad