Proposal: NYR-EDM: 25th + 30th Overall for 10th Overall

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, the only trades you propose or consider are ‘if X steps up and overpays’. If Edmonton is going to overpay for anything it’s for a proven #1 defenceman, not kids that could have just been riding a heater.

I am on record as saying deals are made for a couple of different reasons.
Off top of my head, includes, but not limited to:
a) complementary equal value {e.g., lefty for righty comparable D or W}
b) non hockey $ deal {cap dump, etc.}
c) other strategic basis [NY was reaming TB on the McDonagh deal until it was agreed to dial it down a bit by adding Namest. + JT Miller. The subcomponent of a smaller deal added to a larger combo to save that package is the cost of doing business.}
d) finally, to profit by adding more talent, upside potential, production, etc., than what is paid to obtain same.

Item "d" is what usually applies here, and what typically applies to most deals.

Now, relevant to your comment, as I have often noted, why swap coke for pepsi? Change of scenery? Yes, sometimes that applies.

But usually, while no one expects swindle, which is not a good biz strategy, no on should be expecting something for nothing, or too substantially discounted.

No one does anyone any favors, except as an exception to the rule for a you owe me later backscratch that can be redeemed later.

You want Pionk.
He is not PK Subban
But he is an emerging, defensively responsible, actual righty RD
RDs, esp those coveted, are in short supply.
Supply and demand

You don't get to insist on less than full value paid --- even if Pionk is not yet established as a premium player --- because in addition to general supply and demand, he seems to be a desirable young asset, and not some yutz who is filling an empty uniform.

Discussion exists to discover what currency is best or at least mutually agreeable as to that full value.

But it is not outrageous for NYR fans to want something to make it worth their while for Pionk surrender, any more than it is for EDM fans to want not to take less for their more prized assets.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Rangers need to add or take back a bad contract. I don't see the rangers willing to take a bad contract so they would need to add someone with decent value and a better contract. Rangers don't really have anything like that right now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
1zvkBa3_d.jpg

Curious where you got this particular value chart?

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of these things this close to the draft because at this point you get a feel for groupings. 4-10th this year is far closer than that chart would suggest imo. I might argue that it would make more sense if you grouped tiers, and averaged those tiers to account for it. Charts like this make sense in a vacuum, or far enough in advance that there still isn't much of an idea where guys will eventually land, but at this stage, you could make a good trade look bad, or a bad one look good imo.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Oilers don't want Pionk. He's not what we need. Only Ranger fans are pushing him onto us. Same with Hab fans and MaxPac.

Shattenkirk (with 15% retention) for Russell might be better.

If that is the consensus on Pionk, fine.
Others on your side were happy to explore a deal for him.

Shatty is not going anywhere this year at least and possibly rest of his term depending on how well he plays recovering from injury

No interest in Russell

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Oilers don't want Pionk. He's not what we need. Only Ranger fans are pushing him onto us. Same with Hab fans and MaxPac.

Might be better? Why don't the Rangers retain 50 percent on Shattenkirk will that get it done for Russell?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Below zero interest in Russell for NYR

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Would the Rangers do #12 from the Isles for #25, #30 and one of the 2nds?

You can't get #12 for the two late 1st's by themselves.

Reactions: TFHockey

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
#25+#30 comes nowhere close to getting the #10 pick, Peter Chiarelli wants a player that can help him not picks.
If we were poised to take Kotkaniemi, I'd ask for a bit more, but I'd probably do it. Those other pieces could be parlayed at the draft to address current roster needs. I agree we need to come out of this draft with one or two real solid prospects but this pick is something of value that should be capitalized on.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Would the Rangers do #12 from the Isles for #25, #30 and one of the 2nds?

You can't get #12 for the two late 1st's by themselves.
I would for Boston's 2nd. I wouldn't add our 2nd, not because I don't think it's the value in moving up, but there's still 3 good picks there if we don't.

EDIT: NJD 2nd

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I would for Boston's 2nd. I wouldn't add our 2nd, not because I don't think it's the value in moving up, but there's still 3 good picks there if we don't.

That's 25, 30 and 48 for 12 then?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's 25, 30 and 48 for 12 then?
Yeah, when you type it out it seems like a lot of assets we're spending - essentially 3 pieces with a shot at making the team, but I think coming away with 2 players in the top 15 would be good for the Rangers.

Pulling away with 2 of Dobson, Hayton, Smith, Wilde, Farabee, Veleno, Kotkaniemi sounds better than picking Dobson/Smith, and 2 later picks.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wow, a Ranger-Islander agreed upon trade! You're right about this. The Rangers are more likely in need of the two top pieces and we are more likely in need of more depth in this draft.

I would love to see Kotkaniemi, Hayton or maybe even Wahlstrom if he falls at #11, a group of Miller, Alexeyev, Woo and Samuelsson (2 of them) with the late 1st's. Then go after players like Dellandrea, Gustafsson, Wise, Ginning, etc. with the first 2 seconds and hope Ylonen is still there at 48. I'd be quite happy with that draft!

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Wow, a Ranger-Islander agreed upon trade! You're right about this. The Rangers are more likely in need of the two top pieces and we are more likely in need of more depth in this draft.

I would love to see Kotkaniemi, Hayton or maybe even Wahlstrom if he falls at #11, a group of Miller, Alexeyev, Woo and Samuelsson (2 of them) with the late 1st's. Then go after players like Dellandrea, Gustafsson, Wise, Ginning, etc. with the first 2 seconds and hope Ylonen is still there at 48. I'd be quite happy with that draft!

I think it's a pipe dream that Wahlstrom falls to 11. I think it's a bit of a dream that he falls to #9 so we can grab him. I'd prefer him over any of the guys I mentioned earlier. I think Kotkaniemi has potential to end up being a really good player available at the Islanders pick, especially if teams view him more as winger than a center based on his current season. There could end up being a center or 2 picked before him. That would be a steal of a pick at 11. With more time to showcase his ability he could have risen much higher.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think it's a pipe dream that Wahlstrom falls to 11. I think it's a bit of a dream that he falls to #9 so we can grab him. I'd prefer him over any of the guys I mentioned earlier. I think Kotkaniemi has potential to end up being a really good player available at the Islanders pick, especially if teams view him more as winger than a center based on his current season. There could end up being a center or 2 picked before him. That would be a steal of a pick at 11. With more time to showcase his ability he could have risen much higher.

Some of the buzz about Wahlstrom is if he is a one-trick pony. I don't think he'll drop but what if the Rangers have a choice of Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi? They might well go With Kot and then Edmonton might be deciding between a top defender or Wahlstrom. It's not likely but there's a path to possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad