Confirmed with Link: NYR claim Adam Cracknell off waivers from Dallas

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The AV bashing when it comes to young players is so off base. Who has he ruined? Nobody. He doesn't hand minutes to rookies and he shouldn't. We aren't the Yotes or the pre McDavid Oilers.

His methods work. We know all the home grown players who have developed and improved under AV.

Some think he ruined McIlrath. McIlrath is a bust who was demoted by 3 different NHL franchises in less than a year. It isn't AV who ruined his career. McIlrath just didn't do enough to make something of it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Smart pick up. Necessary player.

Good Saskie boy for the 4th line.

11 NHL forwards on the roster now. This isn't a world beater by any means but he adds a lot that this team is missing.

Another RH shot.

Big body.

Grinder.

Will drop the mitts.

Not soft..

Smart pick up.

Yeah, I looked at that. I think you must be thinking of someone else. He's had one NHL fight and that was in preseason this year. Watching some of his minor league fights at Hockeyfights I'd have to say that's not really an area he's very good at and he should avoid fighting if at all possible.

He does have a big body and big bodies can wear other teams down. He's a 4th line guy. He'll find a niche or he won't. If he works out great--if not give someone else a shot.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Some think he ruined McIlrath. McIlrath is a bust who was demoted by 3 different NHL franchises in less than a year. It isn't AV who ruined his career. McIlrath just didn't do enough to make something of it.

What ruined McIlrath more than anything were the injuries. He lost too much development time and he needed that more than most.

Reactions: bernmeister

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
AV didn't ruin McIlrath, he isn't ruining youth, he's just a bad coach... He obviously should have stuck with that Yandle-McIlrath pairing (Atleast for a while to see if it was a fluke or not), but he didn't change it because he hates youth, he did it because he's a bad coach, there's a difference.

Reactions: Off Sides

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
IMO the team doesn't have great depth at forward. Adding Cracknell might make it marginally better. Have to wait and see.

Holden and Kampfer each played pretty well. They weren't spectacular--aren't really capable of that like Tony D. but they were efficient at the defending part. There was less traffic in front of the net, cross slot/crease passes and deflections from the slot area that made the defending in our own zone against Toronto an abomination. There is a major difference though between Montreal and Toronto's offensive profiles. One is just so much better than the other. Should AV and Ruff have found more ice time for DeAngelo?--yeah, it would have been nice.

Montreal had a billion shots and chances when they were on the ice. They didn't do anything efficiently.

The difference was Hank being abysmal vs Hank being spectacular.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
I dont think AV is looking for an 18-year old rookie with potential for the 4th line... a 32 yr old hardworking vet with no expectations or "need" of minutes to develop will be just fine.

Cracknell-Desharnais-Fast is not a bad 4th line ladies and gents...!

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I dont think AV is looking for an 18-year old rookie with potential for the 4th line... a 32 yr old hardworking vet with no expectations or "need" of minutes to develop will be just fine.

Cracknell-Desharnais-Fast is not a bad 4th line ladies and gents...!

Yea it’s solid . Not sure how people can complain on a 650 k pickup w nhl experience . He’s played more nhl games than Carey and is a better spare part

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah. Let's replace one rookie with another because the one is lacking experience. My God, Larry Brooks is basically bernmeister now.
Bad enough you take my name in vain, but you invoke the Lord when doing so. This will catch up with you, methinks....

Bernmeister is a living legend don't speak to him that way
... and that was pretty quick.
Thanks for the kind words.
"legend" I guess most of us aspire to.
Notable and with reason is fine.
Again, thanks for the solid stand up.

We ****ed our depth when we traded Stepan. As much as many disliked the guy, he was our best center and we traded him, forcing us to play a teenager because we have 0 centers good enough in the system to join the team. Cracknell is a good 4th line option to have. It's a free asset. People act as if he is going to see top 6 minutes.
Stepan was not our best C. That lie of an illusion needs to be killed, immediately. Emphatically.
Zib was. AINEC
Miller is clearly more gifted in every way and will show he is the guy we should use at 1C as he has great chemistry w/Kreid + Zib and would be a dominant line.
If you insist on revisionist history, you will have to stand by your statements.

The AV bashing when it comes to young players is so off base. Who has he ruined? Nobody. He doesn't hand minutes to rookies and he shouldn't. We aren't the Yotes or the pre McDavid Oilers.

His methods work. We know all the home grown players who have developed and improved under AV.
Our young core has succeeded in spite of, not because of, AV.
Brilliant tactician, leaves lots to be desired on personnel decisions.

AV didn't ruin McIlrath, he isn't ruining youth, he's just a bad coach... He obviously should have stuck with that Yandle-McIlrath pairing (Atleast for a while to see if it was a fluke or not), but he didn't change it because he hates youth, he did it because he's a bad coach, there's a difference.
It's a bit of both, IMO.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No problem with letting Letteri get his feet wet in the AHL. No need to dump him into the NHL on the fourth line right now.

Reactions: Off Sides

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lettieri looked good during the exhibition slate, but in his small sample of AHL action he has produced 1 assist in 11 games. Even setting that aside he clearly has room to grow as a player, and is better served playing meaningful minutes in Hartford than a handful in New York.

And remember, exhibition games are just that. Looking good in a couple exhibition games doesn't mean you're ready. Ask Chytil.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Lettieri looked good during the exhibition slate, but in his small sample of AHL action he has produced 1 assist in 11 games. Even setting that aside he clearly has room to grow as a player, and is better served playing meaningful minutes in Hartford than a handful in New York.

And remember, exhibition games are just that. Looking good in a couple exhibition games doesn't mean you're ready. Ask Chytil.

This. I wanted Lettieri to start with the team, but now that he's down he should stay there until he earns the call up and shows he's ready.

OTOH, I thought Chytil looked good in the very very limited action he had. He broke out on two 2 on 1s if I remember correctly and if he had shot on that first one against the Avalanche instead of tried to pass we could all be singing a different tune right now.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I looked at that. I think you must be thinking of someone else. He's had one NHL fight and that was in preseason this year. Watching some of his minor league fights at Hockeyfights I'd have to say that's not really an area he's very good at and he should avoid fighting if at all possible.

He does have a big body and big bodies can wear other teams down. He's a 4th line guy. He'll find a niche or he won't. If he works out great--if not give someone else a shot.

Yeah you're right, mixed him up with his former Blues teammate Peluso.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I got that from him playing Chytil 9 minutes in 3 games and scratching him when we literally didn't have a 12th forward. Not a ringing endorsement.

I think it is a bit much to say that AV hates the kid. Actually, it is beyond a bit much. Additionally, Chytil was bad. Not just "some growing pains that a rookie has to play through" kind of bad, he was really, really bad. You can tell he looked out of place and uncomfortable. It isn't always best to just throw the rookie back in for more minutes as you can also really ruin his confidence that way.

AV handled Chytil just fine. I am still seriously :laugh: at those folks who said Chytil should have gotten power play time.

Additionally, Vesey has been playing well. Coaching is more than just throwing your highest possession players out there for as many minutes as possible. It is managing each player in each game. Every game, situation, it is different. AV does some things well. He does some poorly.

This is claim is a good move by Gorton. Gives us some more depth and sandpaper. As others have said, it is likely that Ruff had a lot to do with this.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
The narrative of people that think AV hates young kids and destroys development

which he's been dragging along like a corpse since he left western canada, yeah that one.

he's got a quick trigger to default back to older players who he can"trust". on its face its the safe play for sure, but at some point you have to let the kids grow and play. its called development and he seems allergic to it.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Chytil will be fine. What I'd like to see, instead of sending him back or down right away, scratch him a couple more games, if the team gets it's defensive house in order, put him back in, give him some games in sheltered situations and on the 2nd PP unit. See if he can get a point or so then send him back/down while he is on a high note. If he's honest with himself like Buch apparently was he will know the NHL is a different deal and quite difficult to reach and stay in and he'll put in the work to get back in the NHL and be a better player for it.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
Lettieri, imho, should have made the roster over Carey. Has a lot of energy for the 4th line and seemed to be responsible. The statement about replacing one rookie with another is not warranted because the roles are different. Promote Lettieri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad