Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CAR] Adam Fox for 2019 2nd round pick and 2020 conditional 3rd

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
1) There's value in getting him in now vs. next year in terms of his development.
2) There's a chance (slight as it may be) that he changes his mind before next year had he stayed in school, particularly if he felt the Rangers didn't want to make a move to get him in now.
3) As been shown the past number of years, a "worse" record doesn't do all that much for chances at #1 and #2 picks.

Yes, because 30 games on a good team vs. 30 games on a worse team is the be all, end all when it comes to saying if someone is "just as good".

There's more value in bottoming out and not frivolously spending assets. Between their buyouts, pick giveaways, overpayments for guys like Trouba they're basically cementing themselves into a slightly above average team down the road. At least get a franchise C or D prospect before cutting corners on the rebuild. As things stand they're not looking any better than 3rd/4th in the metro. If you want to snag potential young players do it the Yzerman way with virtually nothing given up for Fabbri/Perlini/Erne

Devils tried to do the same corner cutting thing, thankfully for them Sheros GMing was trash trash and should be able to net a franchise D prospect to go with 2 young #1 centers. Will be on practically the same timeline as Rangers as well. Not even getting into flyers, canes or Isles

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
x3TmZIr.jpg
Can't blame us for asking.. (NYR, the Carolina Hurricanes Kryptonite.)

Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
Fox is amazing, may end up being the best D they've had since Leetch. Canes didn't win this one but they at least got assets where the possibility was they got nothing.

edit: jeez like 4-5 posts were deleted. i didn't bump this one, was just responding. have a nice weekend all.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Fox is amazing, may end up being the best D they've had since Leetch. Canes didn't win this one but they at least got assets where the possibility was they got nothing.

Canes got Noel Gunler, Jamieson Rees, and Anttoni Honka out of the deal which are a few nice darts. Fox was destined for NYR so I'd consider that doing well.

The lack of hype that Fox gets is interesting. Playing 25 minutes a night in all situations for a huge market. He is a special talent offensively. I'm not saying he should get Makar/Hughes levels of hype, but I think he has the potential to get there. Especially as NYR improves. I suppose he just got lost in the hype shuffle with Kakko, Lafreniere, Shesterkin, etc. all coming in rapidly.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Canes got Noel Gunler, Jamieson Rees, and Anttoni Honka out of the deal which are a few nice darts. Fox was destined for NYR so I'd consider that doing well.

The lack of hype that Fox gets is interesting. Playing 25 minutes a night in all situations for a huge market. He is a special talent offensively. I'm not saying he should get Makar/Hughes levels of hype, but I think he has the potential to get there. Especially as NYR improves. I suppose he just got lost in the hype shuffle with Kakko, Lafreniere, Shesterkin, etc. all coming in rapidly.
Fox is better than Hughes by quite a bit

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Still can't believe the Rangers gave up 2 perfectly good picks for someone who was gonna go there anyway. Then did it a couple months later with Trouba

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It helps preserve relationships between GMs. Does the Skjei trade get done if the Rangers rake Carolina over the coals in the Fox trade? I'm not sure it does

And besides that how many times have we seen guys get to free agency out of college, it seems like a sure thing they're going to one team and oops, all of a sudden another team makes a pitch that's too good to refuse. Take Jimmy Vesey for example: literally everyone thought he was going to Boston. Did the Rangers really want to risk Fox ending up in say Pittsburgh or Washington instead when they knew they could sign him immediately?

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Fox is better than Hughes by quite a bit
Which one do you sign to an 8-year deal? I take Hughes. He is young and treading water in a franchise that lacks identity. Put Hughes in NY on a rising team and its a different story (regardless of DeAngelo and Lundquist, David Quinn is such an excelletn coach for young talent).

So, Fox is great. Hughes? We haven't seen his ceiling by a long shot. Two good D though.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Which one do you sign to an 8-year deal? I take Hughes. He is young and treading water in a franchise that lacks identity. Put Hughes in NY on a rising team and its a different story (regardless of DeAngelo and Lundquist, David Quinn is such an excelletn coach for young talent).

So, Fox is great. Hughes? We haven't seen his ceiling by a long shot. Two good D though.

Look at Hughes playoffs last year. Says a lot about what he ACTUALLY is.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
lol, i swear there were 4-5 posts before I replied that were since deleted. I promise I'm too lazy to look for year old posts to bump.

Mod who deleted...help a brother out.
Haha just teasing i saw your message where ya mentioned that ;)

Reactions: RickChartraw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad