Confirmed Trade: [NYR/CAR] Adam Fox for 2019 2nd round pick and 2020 conditional 3rd

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still can't believe the Rangers gave up 2 perfectly good picks for someone who was gonna go there anyway. Then did it a couple months later with Trouba

At the time, I said the same thing as you did, but it was a good decision. Fox is such a crucial player to the Rangers that losing a year of his development in the NHL was not worth two second round picks. The Rangers rebuild would be far behind where it was if Fox was only just starting out in the NHL this season.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
At the time, I said the same thing as you did, but it was a good decision. Fox is such a crucial player to the Rangers that losing a year of his development in the NHL was not worth two second round picks. The Rangers rebuild would be far behind where it was if Fox was only just starting out in the NHL this season.

I suppose that's fair with how he developed

Still not a fan of paying what they did for Trouba. Even if they identified him as the guy he was gonna force his way to the Rangers as a UFA anyway. And they wouldn't have had to buy Shattenkirk out so early on if at all

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
2 second round picks was no joke of a return for a guy that was apparently ready to force his way to the Rangers via the college UFA system. We'll see if any of Gunler, Rees, or Honka (the net return for Carolina) pan out for us. I do wish that Fox chose to sign here, though. A Slavin/Hamilton/Pesce/Fox top-4 would've been ridiculous, basically four #1 defensemen on one team. Skjei and Gardiner aren't exactly bad hockey players, however.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I suppose that's fair with how he developed

Still not a fan of paying what they did for Trouba. Even if they identified him as the guy he was gonna force his way to the Rangers as a UFA anyway. And they wouldn't have had to buy Shattenkirk out so early on if at all
If you want the player, you go and get him rather than risk him testing the market at age 26.

What I find odd with the NYR, they aren't using the full cap space from the Staal trade. He counted $5.75 mill against the cap and a replacement for his spot would run $1 mill, so did they truly need to move a second round pick for that $4.75 mill in cap space? They could push any rookie bonuses to next season when the Shatty and Lundqvist dead cap hits drop by $8.5 mill, and they free up the Smith and Staal contracts to gain another $10 mill in space.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If you want the player, you go and get him rather than risk him testing the market at age 26.

What I find odd with the NYR, they aren't using the full cap space from the Staal trade. He counted $5.75 mill against the cap and a replacement for his spot would run $1 mill, so did they truly need to move a second round pick for that $4.75 mill in cap space? They could push any rookie bonuses to next season when the Shatty and Lundqvist dead cap hits drop by $8.5 mill, and they free up the Smith and Staal contracts to gain another $10 mill in space.

They have 31.5 million dollars in buyouts, buried or inactive players. Plus another 5.5 in Brandon Smith and Jack Johnson

I have no idea what NYR are doing and neither do they

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad