Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BUF] Jimmy Vesey for a 2021 3rd round pick

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Why would you give up assets for Jimmy Vesey...

Good question. Why would you trade an asset that might become a serviceable NHL player in 3+ years for a guy that's a serviceable NHL player now?

Wait, sorry, stupid question. Meant to say stupid question, my bad.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
oh sorry, good luck with Vesey..

Hopefully the Sabres do the right thing and bury him in the minors for rejecting them the first time. That might be worth another 3rd.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Vesey is not a terrible bottom six player, and he can slide up in the lineup for short periods if necessary. He was the obvious choice to get the short straw, but there's guys on every NHL roster who are worse than Vesey.

Reactions: White Death 24

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
So the Sabres give up a 3rd to negotiate when people thought Vesey might a be a good hockey player which made sense at the time.. after rejecting them, they give up another 3rd years later when there's proof that JV is not a good hockey player. And at the same time also freeing up cap space for the Rangers, allowing them to get a franchise forward which they will use to blow past them in the rebuild.

I guess that makes sense in a Buffalo sort of way.

Reactions: BomaLightDevils

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
That is comical for a guy who is a third line NHL player, a liar and a mercenary. I don't think that many posters on HF are jealous of him and everything that he has accomplished with that Harvard degree.

Hahaha the kid could retire whenever he wants and get a job 5x as valuable as yours with “that Harvard degree”

Reactions: White Death 24

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Imo this is a good low risk pickup for the Sabres. He can be a solid 3rd line contributor. Just lacks consistency.

Reactions: klingsor

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That is comical for a guy who is a third line NHL player, a liar and a mercenary. I don't think that many posters on HF are jealous of him and everything that he has accomplished with that Harvard degree.

LOL, he's made more money than anyone posting on this website to go on top of his academic achievements. He's living life as a pro athlete while the rest of us only get to type about it. I'd wager most would love to switch places with Vesey. Living life as a petty poster on a website or as a pro athlete making millions in the best sport in the world? hmmm

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
When did he lie?

When he led on Nashville for 4 years after being drafted by them that he would sign with them after finishing his degree. He graduated and his camp refused to sign with Nashville. Nashville traded their rights to Buffalo for a third round pick. The Sabres could not sign him. He became a free agent and signed with the Rangers. He went back on his word to the Preds after being at their development camp four times.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but my recollection was that there never was a hype in the sense of "oh my god he's a game breaker!!!".
Most rational people knew that he was a free asset, namely a young prospect with some upside.
On the contrary there were A LOT of people who wished ill on him and his family for simply making a career decision.
Sometimes I wonder if those exact people ever had the luxury of picking a job they enjoy and not just work at the only place that was willing to accept their job application.

Funny enough, to THIS day those same people continue to deem this guy (a total stranger) as some kind of spoiled brat/anti-christ. From the few times I've seen him in and out of the ring he is NOTHING like any of what those people describe him to be.

He is an okay hockey player that has his place in the game. If he didn't he wouldn't be getting offers from NHL teams AND still score and deliver some points.
Buffalo got a good player if they place him into the proper role.
I don't think anyone in New York or Buffalo ever expected him to be a first line winger scoring 60 goals and maybe potting another 40 assists. If you did or still do maybe hockey isn't the sport for you.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
In before the season gets going and Sabres fans come back and say they like Vesey.
Pretty pathetic that people are attacking the guy for exercising his right.

Nobody is attacking him for "exercising his right" he is being attacked for lying to David Poiles face about his intentions

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He’s a serviceable player... 3rd/4th line winger. He doesn’t play special teams but 15-20 goals on a good line is possible if he’s moved up. I’m not sorry to see him go, but wish him the best... seemed like a good guy.
But he got 15-20 goals playing on the 3rd line most of his career? Why does he need to play on a good line to now attain that?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
When he led on Nashville for 4 years after being drafted by them that he would sign with them after finishing his degree. He graduated and his camp refused to sign with Nashville. Nashville traded their rights to Buffalo for a third round pick. The Sabres could not sign him. He became a free agent and signed with the Rangers. He went back on his word to the Preds after being at their development camp four times.

Or maybe things changed and there wasn’t room for him and he knew this. Wanting to better his situation, he wanted to go to a team that would give him a shot to have an NHL career and make some money, because you know, after all, they’re people and need money to live too, right?

But hey, let’s fault someone for trying to do the best for themselves and set themselves up for a good life and a good future, being able to take care of their kids and grandchildren after they’ve passed.

Imagine being this petty and not being able to see past the game itself.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
But he got 15-20 goals playing on the 3rd line most of his career? Why does he need to play on a good line to now attain that?

He had the 3rd most ice time of any Rangers forward last year and was 5th in TOI/game. Wouldn't exactly call that producing from the 3rd line.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He had the 3rd most ice time of any Rangers forward last year and was 5th in TOI/game. Wouldn't exactly call that producing from the 3rd line.

Conveniently leaving off Hayes and Zucc? Of course his time went up after they left. He average just a hair over 16 minutes a game, much less before those 2 left. And had 4 players with just 20 seconds less than him a game. C'on man. He was a 3rd liner who at times would move to the 2nd line and at times move to the 4th line. Lets not just stat watch, 20 seconds the other way and he is 8th among forwards.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Conveniently leaving off Hayes and Zucc? Of course his time went up after they left. He average just a hair over 16 minutes a game, much less before those 2 left. And had 4 players with just 20 seconds less than him a game. C'on man. He was a 3rd liner who at times would move to the 2nd line and at times move to the 4th line. Lets not just stat watch, 20 seconds the other way and he is 8th among forwards.

Even with Hayes and Zucarello, he was 5th in TOI/game. The guy was given plenty of opportunities last year. He's just an incredibly mediocre NHL player.

Reactions: Chainshot

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Even with Hayes and Zucarello, he was 5th in TOI/game. The guy was given plenty of opportunities last year. He's just an incredibly mediocre NHL player.
Who is arguing otherwise? Just saying he still manages to put up about 16-17 goals a year playing on a 3rd line which isn't terrible but don't expect much more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00