Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BUF] Jimmy Vesey for a 2021 3rd round pick

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t really understand some of the hate for this move.

Buffalo needs depth more than most NHL teams. Their bottom 6 has been a black hole for offense.

So they trade a 3rd round pick 2 drafts from now for a guy that’s scored at least 16 goals every season of his short 3 year NHL career.

Why is that a bad thing?
That pick wasn’t going to help buffalo anytime soon. That player drafted in 2021 would help the Sabres when?
In 2024-2025 if they’re lucky?

It was a cheap depth pickup. Buffalo needs to make more of those types of moves. Yes, they need a couple top 6 players. But they also need good depth in their bottom 6.

Obviously the Sabres still have a lot of work to do. They desperately need a couple more top 6 forwards (especially someone that can help fill in at 2C for now).

But that’s not a reason Not to add Vesey while he was available for trade.

Personally, I thought both the Vesey and Miller trades were good moves by Botterill to pick up depth players for cheap from teams in need of cap space.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who is arguing otherwise? Just saying he still manages to put up about 16-17 goals a year playing on a 3rd line which isn't terrible but don't expect much more than that.

Being fifth in total ice time kind of means he’s not on the third line. Math…

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Being fifth in total ice time kind of means he’s not on the third line. Math…
20 seconds away from the 6th, 7th, and 8th. And those players didnt get as much PP time as him. You didnt watch him did you last season? Funny how I as a ranger fan did so I know what line he mainly played on.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
20 seconds away from the 6th, 7th, and 8th. And those players didnt get as much PP times as him. Math

And he was fourth in total time on ice among Ranger forwards the year prior. Yes, math. He may be best suited for a third line role, but it turns out he played most the last two seasons for the Rangers soaking up second line minutes. This is an a phenomenon unique to Ranger fans, we talk about where players should slot instead of where they actually have played in terms of overall contribution and time on ice.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
And he was fourth in total time on ice among Ranger forwards the year prior. Yes, math. He may be best suited for a third line role, but it turns out he played most the last two seasons for the Rangers soaking up second line minutes. This is an a phenomenon unique to Ranger fans, we talk about where players should slot instead of where they actually have played in terms of overall contribution and time on ice.
Enjoy your 3rd liner buddy.

Thank god our rebuild isn't dreadfully as slow as your team. Guess our math works better.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Enjoy your 3rd liner buddy.

Thank god our rebuild isn't dreadfully as slow as your team. Guess our math works better.

I don’t expect to. I don’t see where he’s going to get the same sort of ice time. And even if he is not playing with Holden, he hasn’t really shown that he generates much other than some net front goals. He doesn’t offend well and is not particularly fast. That said if they can get 10 to 12 goals out of a third round draft pick two years from now while they’re trying to fix other places in the roster, I’m fine with that.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He was 8th in 5on5 TOI/G among rangers forwards, one second behind Buchnevich. Admittedly, two people ahead of him were traded.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
20 seconds away from the 6th, 7th, and 8th. And those players didnt get as much PP time as him. You didnt watch him did you last season? Funny how I as a ranger fan did so I know what line he mainly played on.

I'm not sure why you think this helps your argument. Not only was Vesey among the top 6 most-played Ranger forwards, his numbers were inflated by getting PP time. But you think he's going to score 17 goals getting actual 3rd line minutes.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don’t really understand some of the hate for this move.

Buffalo needs depth more than most NHL teams. Their bottom 6 has been a black hole for offense.

So they trade a 3rd round pick 2 drafts from now for a guy that’s scored at least 16 goals every season of his short 3 year NHL career.

Why is that a bad thing?
That pick wasn’t going to help buffalo anytime soon. That player drafted in 2021 would help the Sabres when?
In 2024-2025 if they’re lucky?

It was a cheap depth pickup. Buffalo needs to make more of those types of moves. Yes, they need a couple top 6 players. But they also need good depth in their bottom 6.

Obviously the Sabres still have a lot of work to do. They desperately need a couple more top 6 forwards (especially someone that can help fill in at 2C for now).

But that’s not a reason Not to add Vesey while he was available for trade.

Personally, I thought both the Vesey and Miller trades were good moves by Botterill to pick up depth players for cheap from teams in need of cap space.

Agreed. Not like Vesey is some great player or anything, but if he can provide some scoring depth for the Sabres it will be a good move. They were a one line team last year, need depth as much as anyone in the league.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Agreed. Not like Vesey is some great player or anything, but if he can provide some scoring depth for the Sabres it will be a good move. They were a one line team last year, need depth as much as anyone in the league.
Well said.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

He was somewhat highly touted,yet,the performance is not there. Not sure if he can up his game at this point

CoverYour5

Sep 25, 2018
What's funny and ironic about this is that O'Reilly "loses his love for the game," doesn't want to be in buffalo, you name it from the pundits - and gets shipped out for peanuts.

This guy refuses to sign with buffalo after they trade for his rights. Then they go out and trade for him later anyway.

Strange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad