Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BUF] Jimmy Vesey for a 2021 3rd round pick

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hysterical, because I thought that rumor was a smart move for BUF and all the Sabres fans here hated it. Wonder what the reaction is now.....
giphy.gif

Still hate it, thanks

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If only they could use the Large Hadron Collider to smash them together into one player! Granted, instead of getting big, fast and solid offensively they would get short, slow and completely unable to defend. Actually, they'll likely get the completely unable to defend regardless. :biglaugh:

But with 2 of them, now they can compete for soft, sheltered minutes that the team would be much better off giving to players who have enough talent to actually do something with them. So a lot to look forward to here.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But with 2 of them, now they can compete for soft, sheltered minutes that the team would be much better off giving to players who has enough talent to actually do something with them. So a lot to look forward to here.

Hey, why try to make sure that a line of say Olofsson-Mittelstadt-*heave*Thompson*heave* doesn't get that 70-30 split like Sheary did last season instead of a bunch of bad defensive mid-20 something "Botts guys"?

Anywho....

Reactions: tsujimoto74

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hey, why try to make sure that a line of say Olofsson-Mittelstadt-*heave*Thompson*heave* doesn't get that 70-30 split like Sheary did last season instead of a bunch of bad defensive mid-20 something "Botts guys"?

Anywho....

You know, when you frame it that way...:pullhair:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You may be surprised. He's not a bad player.

Vesey for a 3rd > Deslaurier for a 4th
Vesey for a 3rd >>>>Tanev for 6 x 3.5

Cool, but we didn't need another defensively inept 3rd line winger to take soft minutes away from more talented lines who could really take advantage of more offensive zone starts. We need more guys to play on those talented lines and more forwards who are good without the puck.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You may be surprised. He's not a bad player.

Vesey for a 3rd > Deslaurier for a 4th
Vesey for a 3rd >>>>Tanev for 6 x 3.5

I do feel like there is a lot of "less worse" that goes on in the NHL. In terms of comparison to a few of those other moves, yes, this isn't as bad. In similar "less worse", the likelihood of the Sabres finding quality in the third round is also probably low based on their history. So... I can go with "at least it isn't Des bad or Tanev term bad or Sabres drafting bad".

Yet it still isn't a lot of "yay! this is awesome!"

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I do feel like there is a lot of "less worse" that goes on in the NHL. In terms of comparison to a few of those other moves, yes, this isn't as bad. In similar "less worse", the likelihood of the Sabres finding quality in the third round is also probably low based on their history. So... I can go with "at least it isn't Des bad or Tanev term bad or Sabres drafting bad".

Yet it still isn't a lot of "yay! this is awesome!"
Eichel got 63% OZ starts
Mittlestad got 72%

How much more protected and soft minutes do those guys need? And if they need more.... maybe that's the crux of the problem.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Cool, but we didn't need another defensively inept 3rd line winger to take soft minutes away from more talented lines who could really take advantage of more offensive zone starts. We need more guys to play on those talented lines and more forwards who are good without the puck.

From your keys to Botts eyes, we could only hope.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Another good depth move for the Sabres this offseason that i like. They're making some smart roster upgrades with Miller and Vesey.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Remember when Tim Murray said 3rd round picks arent valuable then gave one up to talk to Vesey? Now we get a signed Vesey under contract for a third round pick. Just kind of funny I guess, I wonder why Tim Murray doesnt have a job.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Seems like a fair trade. The 3rd is 2 drafts away. Would have been nice if Buffalo could have got it done for a 4th this year instead. But I can live with a 3rd in 20201 for Vesey.

Any player picked with that 3rd round pick is easily 4-5 years (if not more) from being able to help buffalo, and the Sabres desperately need to improve NOW.

Hopefully they are able to sign him to a reasonable extension if he works out. But one step at a time...

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Remember the Jimmy Vesey sweepstakes? Good times

I remember that he told Nashville that he would sign with them after his 4 years at Harvard were up. He went to their development camp several times and then signed with Boston. Now the Rangers and then Buffalo. Will he play for all 32 teams?

I feel sorry for Buffalo getting this hose bag! Two thirds is too much for him and his personality issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad