Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Artemi Panarin signs with the Rangers (7 years, $11.642 AAV)

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
NYC is seen as utopia by outsiders but honestly it's run-down and dirty in many parts, though yes it has people partying at all hours of the night (won't apply for guys with a morning skate). Bottom line, it's more appealing in NYC for a 20-something compared to other cities, but reality will set in especially for these guys who have to check themselves. Have fun riding the filthy subways. Or you can get car service and be in gridlock. Have fun.

Your opinion of filthy might not be the same as some one from Russia, or wherever else.

I agree it’s one of the dirtiest cities in the USA, if you know what I’m saying... maybe you’ve never been there.

Compared to other cities in the USA and around the world NY is up there. I’ve seen some gross things, and most of them have been on my brief trips to Europe. I think Panarin can handle NYC

Last edited:

ZacUSNYR

Mar 16, 2009
Upstate, NY
"NY Islanders to sign Panarin, we're guessing 12+ million a year! Lou is doing some spending and doing amazing things on the Island! Going to be such a good signing!". "New York Rangers Signed Panarin for 11.6 million a year. Such a bad contract! They are so dumb paying that! LOL Rags! Derpy derp."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know this seems strange, but I think there probably is something to the idea that the Rangers treat their players better than anyone else. They have the best facilities, support staff, travel conditions, access to doctors, etc, etc. Why don’t other teams treat their players quite as well? It’s likely at least partially how much money the Rangers have, though other big market teams might have as much. And the Devils and Islanders are waaaay behind when it comes to this stuff.

Now, I have no way of knowing this for sure as far as how it compares to other teams, but this really just comes from seeing the edges of this stuff and vague comments here and there. For example, on the medical front... the Rangers are the ones who figured out Stralman’s asthma and permanently fixed Gaborik’s groin issues (though that didn’t stop him from having other injury issues down the line). Neither of those players previous organizations were able to correctly diagnose those problems. It seems strange that this would be true, but it is.

Combine the first class nature of the organization with the prestige of NYC, the lifestyle of living in NYC, and the feeling that the team will always be willing to put resources into improving... its a really great combination. And one more thing about the prestige of NYC. Unlike in Toronto, Montreal and even Chicago, being a New York Ranger gives you a spotlight but not an overwhelming one. Especially when put up against what you see in the Canadian cities. The media is relatively low key, but you’re still a star. It’s an interesting balance that I think a lot of hockey players find appealing.
I believe that. Sean Avery described it in a Players Tribune piece and it sounded like being royalty.

From my perspective, as a fan, that's something that's not as important to me as it would be to an athlete.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
let PK buy it, why have bridges/tunnels between both home<>practice and home<>arena

AP probably lives in Manhattan for a while, then maybe Westchester

Sure PK could buy it but he’s not Russian, and he didn’t sign a 7-year deal.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
let PK buy it, why have bridges/tunnels between both home<>practice and home<>arena

AP probably lives in Manhattan for a while, then maybe Westchester

Alpine is not a convenient place to live at all. If you're an athlete coming and going constantly, it would suck. I never understood why Kovy bought a house there, besides wanting to feel fancy.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Great number. Always nice to see a star forward wearing number 10.

Agreed. Nice to see 10 back in play.

This contract does make me a bit apprehensive long-term, but there's no way management signs this contract without a plan in place. When you figure there are going to be a lot of guys potentially on the move in Kreider, Strome, Names, etc, never mind that Shattenkirk, Lundqvist, Staal, and Smith will be coming off the books in the coming seasons, this isn't so bad. Add in cap increases and I think we'll be just fine.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I believe that. Sean Avery described it in a Players Tribune piece and it sounded like being royalty.

From my perspective, as a fan, that's something that's not as important to me as it would be to an athlete.

There's an analogy about different price points of guitars that I think somewhat applies to this. The quality of a guitar is higher the more you pay, but as the prices go up, the quality differences start to become smaller. In other words, there's a bigger quality difference between a $300 guitar and a $1000 guitar than there is between a $1300 guitar and a $2000 guitar. But those smaller differences definitely become more magnified the more you pay. Money is no longer the determining factor. I imagine that when everyone is willing to pay you millions of dollars, the small differences in how you're treated by each team start to become magnified in the same way. At least I imagine. I have no idea from experience.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's an analogy about different price points of guitars that I think somewhat applies to this. The quality of a guitar is higher the more you pay, but as the prices go up, the quality differences start to become smaller. In other words, there's a bigger quality difference between a $300 guitar and a $1000 guitar than there is between a $1300 guitar and a $2000 guitar. But those smaller differences definitely become more magnified the more you pay. Money is no longer the determining factor. I imagine that when everyone is willing to pay you millions of dollars, the small differences in how you're treated by each team start to become magnified in the same way. At least I imagine. I have no idea from experience.
I like this analogy.

Reactions: Tawnos

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Ya, they went to the Nets over the Knicks because the Nets are extremely well run and only going up, whereas the Knicks...are the Knicks.

I’m guessing Panarin used similar reasoning. And please, spare me from “the Islanders just finished ahead of the Rangers”, because last year was the last time that’ll happen for a while, and I’m sure Panarin understands that.

Comparing the Islanders to the Knicks is just uncalled for, and - frankly - ridiculous. They have the world class arena and are suffering from years of shitty management. NYI have no arena and have one of the most widely respected GM/Coach combo in the league. They couldn't be more dissimilar.

As for this the bolded - Congratulations on the excellent Panarin signing and the ridiculously good Trouba trade. Still, your exuberance is getting the better of you.

Rangers have a bunch of Russians whereas Islanders just signed Varly

Yeah, I think this + the Manhattan thing + NYI not having an arena yet explains everything. What NYI had going for them was Trotz + a #1C who passes the puck + a bit more bucks. It wasn't enough.

Last, about Brooklyn vs. Manhattan - I think quality of life is significantly better in much of Brooklyn than it is in Manhattan. Why? Easier access to essentials, better transportation, cheaper real estate, green space (unless you live near central park), better public primary schools, etc., etc.

Reactions: 17 others

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Zibanejad is no slouch.

"a #1C who passes the puck"

I've watched plenty of Zibanejad. Really good player. Not a natural playmaker. All I mean to say is that playing with Barzal is relatively more of a draw for a scorer. But I doubt that factor moved the needle significantly. So this is really just a quibble over nothing.

Reactions: Kendo

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
"a #1C who passes the puck"

I've watched plenty of Zibanejad. Really good player. Not a natural playmaker. All I mean to say is that playing with Barzal is relatively more of a draw for a scorer. But I doubt that factor moved the needle significantly. So this is really just a quibble over nothing.

Barzal is a special talent, for sure. There's no quibble here. Just saying that he's "not nothing." Cheers.

Reactions: dano16

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Last, about Brooklyn vs. Manhattan - I think quality of life is significantly better in much of Brooklyn than it is in Manhattan. Why? Easier access to essentials, better transportation, cheaper real estate, green space (unless you live near central park), better public primary schools, etc., etc.

There is alot of half-truths, and a lot of wrong information, in this statement.

"Easier access to essentials"

What 'essentials'? besides, everything in Manhattan is walk-able. Access is also irrelevant to a multi-millionaire for most things (you are going to have your food shopping delivered, for example).

"better transportation"

The subway is way more efficient, and covers more area of Manhattan than it does Brooklyn. Taxi and uber is a taxi or an uber anywhere.

"cheaper real estate"

its not 1988 anymore. There are some brooklyn zip codes (the ones where someone like Panarin might want to live) that cost more for housing than a big share of Manhattan. Its cheaper to live on the LES than it does in Park Slope or Greepoint these days. Sure, you can find a great deal out in Carnarsie, but surely thats not what Panarin is thinking about.

"green space"

there are many large swaths of Brooklyn that lack green space. Most of the Brooklyn green space is either in Prospect Park, or our to the east along Jamaica Bay (again, not a place i see Panarin going to relax). I'd much rather live up near Riverside Park than near any greenspace in Brooklyn.

"better public primary schools,"

First, the best public school in the country is in Manhattan (Stuyvesant). But again, if we are talking multi-millionaires, they are going to be using private schools, anyway (again, Manhattan wins out).

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It's Panarin's gf who wants to be in Manhattan. If a country bumpkin like Panarin wanted to live in Manhattan from the outset, he would've signed with the Rangers, not the Hawks.

The only people who desperately want to live in Manhattan are women and Henrik Lundqvist because they want to live the Sex and the City lifestyle. Everyone else knows that Manahattan is a rat infested dump.

A lot players don't live in Manhattan. They live in Westchester County or Fairfield County. There are some nice places outside of Manhattan if you want to live in the City. Riverdale in the Bronx for example. Or Dumbo in Brooklyn.

Lundqvist lives in Tribeca which is a pretty amazing place to live if you can afford it. Peasants like you and I don't know about that kind of lifestyle. You sound bitter and jealous though which makes me happy:)

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad