Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That's what everybody was saying about Kadri after he was drafted.

What does Kadri have over Nylander that enabled him to become a center?

well, everyone but me.

kadri was always a center to me, and moving him off was ridiculous.

its not really easy to describe what imo makes one fuy a center and the other a winger, but i'll try.

kadri for me is a guy without a dominant side - equally good going left or right, with the east-west variety being integral to his game. he also plays a heads up, lean back type game which really lets him utilize the whole ice, whether he's passing, dangling, or shooting. when you put him on the wing, you take away half of his game. moreover, kadri leans more to physical play than speed play. for all the talk about his size, the kid is a nasty piece of work who loves to mix it up down low. at the same time, while pretty fast, he doesn't have that great acceleration or extra burst that lets a skill winger like kessel dominate out there. his game is built on dangling and playmaking - that's how he gets defenders to back off him, not with speed.

now fair enough nylander does have some of those attributes, and while he's kind of a cross between the two he leans more towards the kessel type than the kadri type imo. physically he's more of the kessel/ mogilny type - i.e. he won't ever mix it up physically, period. also like them speed and acceleration are elite, which makes him a terror down the wing for any defender. now nylander does have that east-west heads up playmaking element to his game too, but imo his game is built on that plaform of speed, with thr dangling coming more into play when the defenser is backed off and he cuts back and looks for trailers.

for me he falls right into that kessel/mogilny style....which isn't all bad, because some would argue that those guys are/were pretty much centers on the offensive side of the ice anyways.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I think Nylander has a lot of Kane in him. He certainly can play center but will likely always be more dangerous off the wing.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
well, everyone but me.

its not really easy to describe what imo makes one fuy a center and the other a winger, but i'll try.

kadri for me is a guy without a dominant side - equally good going left or right, with the east-west variety being integral to his game. he also plays a heads up, lean back type game which really lets him utilize the whole ice, whether he's passing, dangling, or shooting. when you put him on the wing, you take away half of his game. moreover, kadri leans more to physical play than speed play. for all the talk about his size, the kid is a nasty piece of work who loves to mix it up down low. at the same time, while pretty fast, he doesn't have that great acceleration or extra burst that lets a skill winger like kessel dominate out there. his game is built on dangling and playmaking - that's how he gets defenders to back off him, not with speed.

now fair enough nylander does have some of those attributes, and while he's kind of a cross between the two he leans more towards the kessel type than the kadri type imo. physically he's more of the kessel/ mogilny type - i.e. he won't ever mix it up physically, period. also like them speed and acceleration are elite, which makes him a terror down the wing for any defender. now nylander does have that east-west heads up playmaking element to his game too, but imo his game is built on that plaform of speed, with thr dangling coming more into play when the defenser is backed off and he cuts back and looks for trailers.

for me he falls right into that kessel/mogilny style....which isn't all bad, because some would argue that those guys are/were pretty much centers on the offensive side of the ice anyways.

Thanks for the reply...but I respectfully disagree with much of it (bolded). I think his style is much more like Kadri's than it is Kessel's or Mogilny's. I especially disagree about him having and using elite speed and acceleration, his strengths in skating are more like Kadri's, shifty and elusive, and I don't see him blowing past others on speed alone. He's more of a cerebral type than you are describing imho, usually looking to make a pass first instead of driving to the net.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Buddy on TSNradio made an interesting point.

The schedule and travel in Sweden is a lot easier then in the AHL. By sending him to Sweden you are giving him less game days and less travel days that can be spent in the gym putting on the weight that he needs to handle the NHL game.

It's not like you can work out all day. A couple hours of travel 2 or 3 times a week can't really impede a workout schedule.

William Nylander*

What you just described is more of a description of someone like Ehlers. Nylander doesn't have elite speed in a straight line like those guys do, he's more of a shifty and elusive type of player like Kane/Giroux. Hopefully that's established to fans by the end of all the preseason games

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I think a large part of Nylander's game that's being overlooked is his penchant for takeaways whether he's in the offensive or defensive zone. You could see that in one play where he took the puck away from an opposing forward driving to the net and then turned around the net and fired a seeing-eye pass to David Broll.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I agree with Kypreos. Even on the Marlies, this is still too close to the hotbed of the toronto media. We don't know what's going to happen to Carlyle and Nonis. This could be a transition year. There could be another roster overhaul by next year. I can just imagine a #freewilly scenario coming from the average fan if the main team struggles.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
I think playing him in AHL is the best option for us. We can keep him under our eyes and develop him whatever is more suitable to him, LW-center-RW. If he lights it up in the AHL then he can obviously push guys like Santa, Kontiola, Winnik, Booth out for picks and always play a big role with the team. Also gives us a chance to get few draft picks at TDL if he and Leivo push for the spots.

So far he has been a special player IMO.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I feel like some on here don't think you can develop into a Centre unless you are 6'5.

I see no reason why Nylander can't develop into one and based off of Nonis' comments pre-draft about the only way to get as top line Centre is to draft one to me suggests the team will at least TRY to develop him as one.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I also prefer the AHL. Get him re-acclimated to the smaller ice, closer to what the NHL schedule is, right there for a call up, more control over his development.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The kid is 18. I think heading back to Sweden, as far away from TO as possible, is best and let him dominate over there.

This way if there is an injury or something people won't be freaking out when we don't call him up.

THERE IS NO RUSH. We won't be winning the cup in the next few years so let the kid be. Let him have fun at home where he is comfortable.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
The kid is 18. I think heading back to Sweden, as far away from TO as possible, is best and let him dominate over there.

This way if there is an injury or something people won't be freaking out when we don't call him up.

THERE IS NO RUSH. We won't be winning the cup in the next few years so let the kid be. Let him have fun at home where he is comfortable.

You never know that. Nobody even thought NYR will survive first round of the playoffs. So that's that

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Sandpaper.

iASMhWIFjCGlG.gif

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Kyper is smart enough to know he will develop better in SEL than here. The only other option is NHL and i prefer him to bulk up a bit first.

He's going to play a couple regular season games with the big club and be sent down to the Marlies, count on it.

DoubleDouble*

I love how people compare Schenn and Nylander when saying he should,'t make the team. There couldn't be two less similar players in the world. What hurt Schenn long term wasn't becoming a Leaf at a young age, it was that his speed never got better. Schenn"s entire game is limited by his slowness.

Nylander is ready. I say play him. Our top 6 could use the talent and I think he's ready. I don't see it hurting his development in any way.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Why do the Leafs need to play Nylander?

Can anyone say that in his career right now he's better(or more NHL ready) than:

Kessel
Bozo
JVR
Lupul
Kadri
Santorelli
Booth
Clarkson
Holland
LEOOOOO
Winnik
Frattin

?

Does he have more raw Skill than some of those guys? Of course he does, but there is no reason to put him in the line-up because the team doesn't need to worry about him providing offence. So let him develop by playing a lot of hockey minutes, and then come back better.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
well, everyone but me.

Just more of Zeke's self-affirmed always-rightness :laugh:

If Nylander could skate like Kessel or Mogilny he would not have been left for the 8th overall draft pick.

DoubleDouble*

Why do the Leafs need to play Nylander?

Can anyone say that in his career right now he's better(or more NHL ready) than:

Kessel
Bozo
JVR
Lupul
Kadri

Santorelli
Booth
Clarkson
Holland
LEOOOOO
Winnik
Frattin

?

Does he have more raw Skill than some of those guys? Of course he does, but there is no reason to put him in the line-up because the team doesn't need to worry about him providing offence. So let him develop by playing a lot of hockey minutes, and then come back better.

He is better than everyone you listed after Kadri. He is the real deal.

Sending him back to Sweden won't do anything for his development. Playing a 36 game schedule for another year would be a waste. Get him into a 82 game schedule. Surround him with pros. Let him learn how to be a pro.

He is physically ready: half the guys in the NHL won't be able to catch him.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
He is better than everyone you listed before Kadri. He is the real deal.

Sending him back to Sweden won't do anything for his development. Playing a 36 game schedule for another year would be a waste. Get him into a 82 game schedule. Surround him with pros. Let him learn how to be a pro.

He is physically ready: half the guys in the NHL won't be able to catch him.

He's going to get killed, he needs another season to bulk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad