Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
he has flat outplayed all of those names other than jvr and kadri so far.

he hasn't outplayed any vets there - they are just trying to make it through the camp unscathed; we know that the regulars are not going all out; late next week should be different - we'll see if the kid is still in the lineup by then.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
If Jeff Skinner 5'10 and 182 lbs can play in NHL as an 18 yo, Nylander can play at 5'11 and 179 lbs for sure. Nylander also plays with his head up like Kadri. Question is which of the leafs fans are just a bunch of losers and who want to see this *****ing team win.

I want to see us win so count me in with those who want to see Nylander with the team. Go Leafs Go. :yo:

Jeff Skinner had a great rookie season at 18, but he also had three major concussions over the following two seasons.

But sure, let's pretend there's no risk. Not for undersized young players accustomed to a rink that's just over 4m wider. Nuh-uh. Because he's 'elusive' and hasn't been crushed in a couple preseason games.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Jeff Skinner had a great rookie season at 18, but he also had three major concussions over the following two seasons.

But sure, let's pretend there's no risk. Not for undersized young players accustomed to a rink that's just over 4m wider. Nuh-uh. Because he's 'elusive' and hasn't been crushed in a couple preseason games.

Boom. Excellent point. There is NO reason to rush this kid at all. He needs to adapt to the North American pro game before he's ready to crack the Leafs lineup. There's no reason to waste all his talent by throwing him to the wolves right away.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
What's the best case scenario if Nylander did play in the NHL this season? Average second line winger type of offensive production with below average defense would be an optimistic but somewhat realistic prediction.

The question for me is this. Does that makes us a significantly better team? I don't think it does, so why use up a year of his ELC when a year later he could make an even bigger impact and contribute to what's hopefully a much improved team.

If you are not ready to accept that he can light it up this year, how can you ever expect him to make a bigger impact only a year later. Does he have any kind of a magic stick?

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

Boom. Excellent point. There is NO reason to rush this kid at all. He needs to adapt to the North American pro game before he's ready to crack the Leafs lineup. There's no reason to waste all his talent by throwing him to the wolves right away.

Diamonds can only be shaped by scratching them a lot. You can't expect to not get killed a year or 2 later. He has shown excellent ability to stick with the team so far. I am not gonna say anything else, but he is exceptional. May be he is not as good as Jeff Skinner or may not put the same points, but you won't ever know unless you play him.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I'm ok with Nylander going down. With Carlyle still the coach, this season is a write-off anyways. Might as well keep him away from the oncoming mess.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Diamonds can only be shaped by scratching them a lot. You can't expect to not get killed a year or 2 later. He has shown excellent ability to stick with the team so far. I am not gonna say anything else, but he is exceptional. May be he is not as good as Jeff Skinner or may not put the same points, but you won't ever know unless you play him.

I don't see why there should be any rush? How many wingers do the Leafs need, exactly? There is no risk in developing him more patiently. There is risk in rushing him to the NHL, and the potential reward is mostly appeasing rabid fans.

People said the same thing about Kadri, going as far as to invent conspiracies by coaches against him. Ignoring that each time he got called up he was being physically dominated and spent half his shifts getting back up off the ice, from which he probably didn't learn anything valuable. Some fans just need to have the newest, shiniest thing right now. There are many more examples of players flourishing after patient development than there are of players excelling in the NHL at 18 or 19 years old.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
I don't see why there should be any rush? How many wingers do the Leafs need, exactly? There is no risk in developing him more patiently. There is risk in rushing him to the NHL, and the potential reward is mostly appeasing rabid fans.

People said the same thing about Kadri, going as far as to invent conspiracies by coaches against him. Ignoring that each time he got called up he was being physically dominated and spent half his shifts getting back up off the ice, from which he probably didn't learn anything valuable. Some fans just need to have the newest, shiniest thing right now. There are many more examples of players flourishing after patient development than there are of players excelling in the NHL at 18 or 19 years old.

Do you have to be a rabid fan to not subscribe to any rigid rules/guidelines regarding how to treat a prospect? I don't want to sit here and argue about whether to treat him like Sundin or Kadri or Zetterberg. He's not Sundin or Kadri or Zetterberg. I don't want to say he can't be in the NHL at 18 or 19 on a message board after a couple preseason games. I want him to get a good tryout and for the team to make the evaluation based on what they see from him - regardless of age. And if they decide he's ready and can help us, then be prepared for any inconsistencies that might come with that age.

Putting him in the lineup at 18 isn't necessarily impatient to me and supporting that doesn't automatically mean you're a rabid fan.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009

Boom?...no. 19 year old Jeff Skinner didn't get three concussions because he played in the NHL as an 18 year old. There isn't a concussion meter that fills up based on the number of times you get hit to generate a concussion. Skinner got concussions because he put himself in positions to get hit and his personal threshold or brain injury was met on those collisions.

Nylander's pretty good about keeping his head up on the ice and avoiding those railroad type plays.

The reason Nylander won't make the team is because he's absolutely lost at times in the defensive zone. Like fundamental mistakes in terms of reading the defensive assignments. It's something he will get better at over time, but his offensive abilities shouldn't and wont' trump his lack of defensive acumen as an 18 year old. The Leafs aren't screaming for another top 6 winger aside from maybe dumping Clarkson down to the 3rd line.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

Lol. You are just outta mind I guess. You shouldn`t judge players on their age. If a player is good to play for the team he should play for the team, and I don`t think we don`t need a 2nd line winger unless if you are trying to find your answers in Clarktard`s turn around.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Boom?...no. 19 year old Jeff Skinner didn't get three concussions because he played in the NHL as an 18 year old. There isn't a concussion meter that fills up based on the number of times you get hit to generate a concussion. Skinner got concussions because he put himself in positions to get hit and his personal threshold or brain injury was met on those collisions.

Nylander's pretty good about keeping his head up on the ice and avoiding those railroad type plays.

The reason Nylander won't make the team is because he's absolutely lost at times in the defensive zone. Like fundamental mistakes in terms of reading the defensive assignments. It's something he will get better at over time, but his offensive abilities shouldn't and wont' trump his lack of defensive acumen as an 18 year old. The Leafs aren't screaming for another top 6 winger aside from maybe dumping Clarkson down to the 3rd line.

He got run over tonight by Weber.. Why do we have to rush the kid? Another year and he'll be physically stronger and grow into a more experienced player. Let him play for the Marlies/SHL, get WJC experience and come back to camp next year vindicated to make the roster

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think there are positives in whatever you decide to do with him. Honestly, I would not mind him taking a year in the AHL or back in Sweden. Just about making him the most effective you can be for the longer term.

At least it's not like some guys where you don't have a good place to put them. Not like his only options are the NHL or Junior.

Tyler Biggs*

Nylander is looking snazzy, now he just has to beef up a little bit.

snizzbone*

That game sealed the deal for me. He isn't ready. Needs to go back to Sweden or the AHL.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I'm just hoping they send him to the AHL rather then the SHL. Main reasons:

- Needs to get more accustom to the smaller ice, North american style and physicality.

- He can literally play for 3 teams and not have to leave Toronto. He can play Marlies, we can call him up at any point to the Leafs, and he can play in the Juniors (in Toronto) for Sweden.

Seems like a good situation to me.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I'm starting to like the idea of sending him to the Marlies. If Leivo makes the team (I think he will), it probably means we lose a veteran to waivers. So it would be nice to have a callup top 6 winger if we lose a guy to injury.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
I'm starting to like the idea of sending him to the Marlies. If Leivo makes the team (I think he will), it probably means we lose a veteran to waivers. So it would be nice to have a callup top 6 winger if we lose a guy to injury.

SHL is a better league than the AHL. they have legit "men" and ex.NHLers playing vs. prospects

CoveySteele

Dec 12, 2012
Cape Breton Island
I hope they keep him here in North America to work on the smaller ice surface and gain some solid chemistry with players he will be playing with for years. Leivo and Percy in particular.

Sep 18, 2009
Leivo's game is much better than Nylanders right now. I don't think there is any way he is making the team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Its an unexpected result but of all the challengers for a top 9 spot on the Leafs it looks like Nylander might get beaten out by Josh Leivo.

The veteran 1-year players have put of less of a fight and Nylander has been better than most of them.

The last couple of games Nylander hasn't been as impressive as he was in his debut and likely sealed his fate for more development time needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad