Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
He's got a those stellar hands that give him a quick stick to pick players pockets ... If he can develop a strong defensive game positionally, he could generate a lot of takeaways in the future

Yeah it definitely is a big factor, for sure, it seems to me like he anticipates where the other guy is going to stickhandle to and gets his stick there at the perfect time. And the extra little bit that gets me excited about him is that he's not just knocking it off their sticks, he's controlling it afterwards too.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
He's an NHL player but doesn't have the body. I would like him to stick for the 9 games. He will definitely help this team on the power play and put wins on the board. I believe he is better here, working with what the Leaf's have then send him back home and you have no control over it. In my opinion, he is too good for the AHL, guys will just run him there.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Watched both games. Being able to produce offense like that with his body is pretty impressive, tempo and small ice was no problem for him. He has 2 major flaws at the moment that will keep him from playing in the NHL this year and maybe next year as well. 1) Strength and 2) Defensive zone coverage, he looks passive and is often on the wrong side of the puck when the other team gets on the cycle. Luckily these things can be corrected and then you have yourselves a hell of a player if they are.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Gilmour was good at everything, I would be curious how good he would be on a Mirtle chart.

Somehow, I do not think it would do him justice.

You look at Gilmour early in his career. Offensively Nylander is a better player, defensively Gilmour was great and on the face off dot as well. That series against the Leafs when he was the Blues third line centre was pretty impressive.

Watched both games. Being able to produce offense like that with his body is pretty impressive, tempo and small ice was no problem for him. He has 2 major flaws at the moment that will keep him from playing in the NHL this year and maybe next year as well. 1) Strength and 2) Defensive zone coverage, he looks passive and is often on the wrong side of the puck when the other team gets on the cycle. Luckily these things can be corrected and then you have yourselves a hell of a player if they are.

And as Ray Ferraro said last night, '....in all fairness, players much older than him make the same mistakes...'

Problem is, guys expect perfection and you will not get it. Especially from a young player. This is one player, who quietly can help the Leafs. I hope he at least gets nine regular season games. Being on the wrong side of the puck in the defensive zone is easily corrected.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I really hope we keep him for at least a nine game tryout.

He's clearly the leafs best forward after Kessel, JVR, Kadri and Lupul and could really help shoulder the load and add another dynamic to our top 6

CalgaryLeaf*

He's clearly the leafs best forward after Kessel, JVR, Kadri and Lupul and could really help shoulder the load and add another dynamic to our top 6

I also think Kadri is better than Nylander at this stage...oops my bad...I see you have Kadri included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2003
KW

I'm at least pleasantly surprised with his defensive effort. He might not yet have the defensive instincts but appears willing to make the effort, and has the smarts to learn and adapt.

If I'm not mistaken, you were probably his biggest booster well before the draft and in return William is making you look pretty smart right now :thumbu:

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

No he is not.

Maybe the next best offensive threat after these guys, but the other areas of his game are going to need time. He's a kid...and he's built like one.

He needs time to develop - away from the spotlight.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
You look at Gilmour early in his career. Offensively Nylander is a better player, defensively Gilmour was great and on the face off dot as well. That series against the Leafs when he was the Blues third line centre was pretty impressive.

The thing that made Gilmour so great (particularly during his small "prime" window) was that in addition to his skill in all areas of the game, the guy had otherworldly intensity.

That man cared on another level.

But odd comparisons aside, Nylander looks extremely raw. His offensive side is raw, and his defensive side is raw beyond raw. His anticipation and stick skill on the defensive side is very promising though.

I can't see him sticking this year, but he's an exciting prospect no doubt about it. Happy to have him in the system.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kid has played well in both games....if he continues to do well, he will stay for a least a few regular season games.

Lets watch and see his adjustments in how he plays. He needs to play above the puck more in the offensive zone as he is often caught below the puck, nothing you do not expect from a rookie.

I love his game with the puck!

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Still gotta see how he warms up from here on out, lots more preseason to be played.

So far he doesnt look out of place at all and if he continues to gain confidence I'd consider a 9 game stint for him to give him a taste.

ultimately though he looks destined for the AHL for this season, but I can see him being ready next year, he's got like 80% of what he needs for the NHL, just has to get rid of some junior level offensive tendencies and defensive zone coverage.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I'm at least pleasantly surprised with his defensive effort. He might not yet have the defensive instincts but appears willing to make the effort, and has the smarts to learn and adapt.

If I'm not mistaken, you were probably his biggest booster well before the draft and in return William is making you look pretty smart right now :thumbu:

Yes I'm his biggest fan after watching him for a season in the swedish U20 junior league. He was the youngest and smallest guy every game but he dominated like there was no tomorrow. I can't think of a more gifted swedish prospect the last 20 years or so. That said, there are some flaws in his game and I'd rather see him make big impact consistently from the start rather than just showing flashes. I think he's capable of doing that if you give him time.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Nylander has NHL skills but an OHL body. He needs to man up.

Is there anyway we don't burn a year of his entry level deal? AHL or SHL, don't they both burn a year regardless? They are both PRO leagues. Essentially, if this is true, he can go up and down throughout the season...

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
No he is not.

Maybe the next best offensive threat after these guys, but the other areas of his game are going to need time. He's a kid...and he's built like one.

He needs time to develop - away from the spotlight.

Who else would you put ahead of William right now?

Obviously kessel, jvr, kadri and lupul are in another tier right now. Maybe holland. Hes definitely a better option at wing than clarkson

Tyler Biggs*

They didn't rush Kadri and they shouldn't rush Nylander even though he is more advanced than Kadri at the same age....let him mature in the A or back in Europe one more year.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
They didn't rush Kadri and they shouldn't rush Nylander even though he is more advanced than Kadri at the same age....let him mature in the A or back in Europe one more year.

Kadri was handled incredibly poorly by this organization, his development shouldn't be a bench mark for anything.

I'd advocate a year of AHL play where he plays center regardless of how good he is right now. Nothing wrong with letting him dominate a NA mens pro league.

On a related note, does anyone know why he hasn't had any tries at center? Seems like an awful big waste for a team lacking high end centers to not let him try out his former natural position.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
AHL did nothing for Kadri, and playing the likes of Tim ****ing Brent instead of Kadri only hurt the leafs.

so, so dumb.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
To be very honest and there is no question in my mind that he is going to be a top line forward but a grooming of a year or two is not going to hurt

He still need some maturing

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
AHL did nothing for Kadri, and playing the likes of Tim ****ing Brent instead of Kadri only hurt the leafs.

so, so dumb.

Exactly. In my mind Kadri would be a better player today if he wasn't held back in the AHL for so long by this organization. Remember that stint where they put him on the wing? Ya me too :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad