Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
If Nylander doesn't make the Leafs in September, his options are either go to the AHL with the Marlies, or back to Sweden.

What I'm wondering is how many players have actually played in the AHL at age 18 and how well did they do? I remember when the Leafs put D'Amigo in the AHL when he was just 19 and he was pretty bad so they loaned him to Kitchener, but then again Nylander is no D'Amigo.

If players historically have been unsuccessful in the AHL at 18 years maybe it would be best to loan him to Mississauga (closest OHL team to Toronto) or send him back to Sweden?

edit: ok, has to be drafted in the upcoming import draft to be loaned to a OHL team

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Nylander can also play in the CHL correct?

Preferably for me, 1 year in the OHL, 1-2 years in the AHL and then up with the big boys.

Jacob8hockey*

He probably goes to the Marlies. No point of having him play against men and then putting him down to play against boys. Backwards imo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd like him to stay in Sweden for a couple of years, stay in a comfort zone, develop as a C, and then come over, or at the very least one year in Sweden.

Backstrom took 1 year before coming over and it was beneficial for him. I don't want to ruin this kid's development.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I don't believe he is CHL eligible seeing as he wasn't drafted to a team.

Edit: NVM. Import draft is July 2nd. Doesn't sound like he has any intention of taking part though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sorry I'm not sure how this all works. The Leafs can loan a prospect to an OHL team? Who?

To be eligible to play in the CHL (OHL, WHL or QMJHL) a Euro player must first be selected in the CHL Import draft for a team to obtain his rights.

Then a CHL is limited to 2 Euro imports per team.

A NHL can't loan a player to any CHL team, only the one that owns his rights.

Jacob8hockey*

I'd like him to stay in Sweden for a couple of years, stay in a comfort zone, develop as a C, and then come over, or at the very least one year in Sweden.

Backstrom took 1 year before coming over and it was beneficial for him. I don't want to ruin this kid's development.

Sweden wouldnt exactly be more comfortable for him. He lived all but like 4 of his years in NA.

So there is a chance he is drafted July 2nd to a CHL team?

Probably almost certain, but hes more than likely not going there.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
To be eligible to play in the CHL (OHL, WHL or QMJHL) a Euro player must first be selected in the CHL Import draft for a team to obtain his rights.

Then a CHL is limited to 2 Euro imports per team.

A NHL can't loan a player to any CHL team, only the one that owns his rights.

Jacob8hockey*

Nylander is Canadian born who last played in NA in 2010-2011. Hes got a unique story which makes this pick even better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Yes

However teams tend to makes selections generally of players they have a chance of recruiting. Otherwise its a wasted pick.

Nylander is an interesting situation because he can play in the AHL and if he doesn't play there he can also go back and play in the Swedish Elite league.

The CHL might be a level below he is playing now and the AHL and SEL would be higher levels. The odds of him ending up there would be very slim. IMO

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
It would be best to give him 1C minutes with the marlies. There's no sense in sending him to the CHL to play against kids when he's been playing with men the last 2 years. Also, sending him to sweden doesn't make sense as we want him to get used to the smaller north american ice.

Send him to the marlies to get used to north american ice, while playing with men. Makes the most sense, this kid will dominate.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Sweden wouldnt exactly be more comfortable for him. He lived all but like 4 of his years in NA.

Probably almost certain, but hes more than likely not going there.

Let me rephrase, because you're correct, he's played a lot of higher end hockey in his life over in Sweden.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Leave him in Sweden with his papa, no better way to mature professionally then to be directed by your former nhl star father.

This is much better than having him live with 3 other kids his age, in a unfamiliar city.

Jacob8hockey*

Leave him in Sweden with his papa, no better way to mature professionally then to be directed by your former nhl star father.

This is much better than having him live with 3 other kids his age, in a unfamiliar city.

Sign his father to play for the Marlies or coach :sarcasm: But that would be the least of his worries and it wouldn't take much to work that out.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Yes

However teams tend to makes selections generally of players they have a chance of recruiting. Otherwise its a wasted pick.

Nylander is an interesting situation because he can play in the AHL and if he doesn't play there he can also go back and play in the Swedish Elite league.

The CHL might be a level below he is playing now and the AHL and SEL would be higher levels. The odds of him ending up there would be very slim. IMO

CHL seems like a step backward for him seeing as he have already played in mens pro leagues for 2 years. And even do him playing one more year in Sweden could be good for him I think he will get the best development with the Marlies.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
I'd like him on the marlies, see what Spott can do with him. And with what could be a few marlies graduating or not being resigned there will be a spot for him.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Lol why would he play CHL. He just played pro...CHL would be a step down. And before you mention "getting used to NHL ice", he's played on NHL sized ice most of his life. He's going to either the Marlies, Leafs, or back to the SHL. Book it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
CHL seems like a step backward for him seeing as he have already played in mens pro leagues for 2 years. And even do him playing one more year in Sweden could be good for him I think he will get the best development with the Marlies.

Level of competition lower agreed, but ice size and NA game style and more games and more TOI/g would likely be an advantage in the CHL.

Still unlikely as AHL and SEL would be more logical options.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
It would be best to give him 1C minutes with the marlies. There's no sense in sending him to the CHL to play against kids when he's been playing with men the last 2 years. Also, sending him to sweden doesn't make sense as we want him to get used to the smaller north american ice.

Send him to the marlies to get used to north american ice, while playing with men. Makes the most sense, this kid will dominate.

you burn a year on his ELC that way, if he can still grow as a player in Sweden why not leave him over there and keep that 1 extra year on his ELC. I get the ice size argument but others have come over and adjust just fine without playing in the AHL.

Edit: this is assuming he doesn't make the Leafs out of camp. which if the leafs don't acquire someone or don't re-sign Bolland I think he will have a real shot at beating Holland out for the 3rd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad