Speculation: Nylander XII - The Saga Continues (ALL NYLANDER DISCUSSION HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
This league is so boring. Wish the Canes just made the offer sheet and see how it plays out. Then trade the D to recoup some picks.

I wonder if the Canes have been in contact with Nylander camp and have a contract negotiated

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Gardiner is essentially a D version of JVR, and we all know what he got for a contract.
Mirtle (The Athletic) had suggested that Gardiner was aware that he'd have to take a pay cut to stay with the Leafs. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a deal around 5.5 to stay with the team. Especially if they make it past the 1st round this year.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
TheFourthPeriod reporting that they have.

Thanks I missed that. They would have to have a deal worked out before trading for him.

Would be cool if Nylander and Canes were just waiting to late Nov and trying to work this out the "right way."

Then if that doesn't work go for the offer sheet.

Could be why Nylander is so firm in his demands. He knows someone will pay him what he wants.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Yup, that's conclusive proof.
The post you quoted is just brutal. Anyone who thinks this team wouldn't be substantially better with Nylander in the lineup doesn't know hockey. We're trying to progress to winning a championship, not make the playoffs.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Last I checked Pens aren't in the Atlantic and that wasn't a playoff game.
You can't seriously think you're the same team without Nylander than with him.

If he refuses to sign then they have to trade, him, or absolutely should.

Sitting him for a year would be the stupidest thing they could do.
They aren't sitting him. He is sitting himself. Not asserting their rights to maximize their investment in a RFA is stupid. Setting a precedence with disgruntled RFA's by trading him with an inadequate return is not good business. The right thing to do is to act like Tampa and be patient

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The post you quoted is just brutal. Anyone who thinks this team wouldn't be substantially better with Nylander in the lineup doesn't know hockey. We're trying to progress to winning a championship, not make the playoffs.

Yeah I want him to sign. Sure we could use an upgrade at RD but the D issues are, like most things with the Leafs, blown way out of proportion. Are they Nashville? No. But they don't have a bottom end defense or an "AHL" defense like they always say. They do a good job suppressing high danger chances against and this year are doing well at shot suppression as well.

Getting Matthews and Willy back on the team means that they don't need Tavares to be on every game like they did even with Matthews. It means you have two lines who can go hot and cold and cover for each other. And hopefully, when the games matter, both lines get hot in the playoffs.

I want Willy to sign already. Hate this and wish he would just play. If he gets traded it better be a big impact piece coming back to make up for it.

Reactions: smitty10

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Still think a deal gets done.
He will get a big signing bonus to offset some of his losses from this year.
Years 2 going forward have a bit less cap hit, which are the years the Leafs need to worry about.
Something like 4x5.5 or 6x6.75 or 8x7.25

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Dubas still holds all the cards. If it's a homerun for the Leafs you move him if not then just let Nylander sit out the season and look to move him in the offseason.

They're trying to win the Cup. I don't think they should consider waiting until next year. They need to make the team better this season, either with him in the lineup or adding the trade return player(s).

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
They're trying to win the Cup. I don't think they should consider waiting until next year. They need to make the team better this season, either with him in the lineup or adding the trade return player(s).

Leafs not close to cup contenders at the moment. I’d just wait it out, if he sits for season, no big deal. If Nylander was worth anything in trade market, it would be done by now.

At 4 or 5 million Nylander is a nice add for teams, anything above 6, hard pass by every team.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

The want to be contenders for the next 10 seasons.

They're not trading Nylander so they can be marginally better this season.

The Mentalist

Jun 29, 2018
Leafs not close to cup contenders at the moment. I’d just wait it out, if he sits for season, no big deal. If Nylander was worth anything in trade market, it would be done by now.

At 4 or 5 million Nylander is a nice add for teams, anything above 6, hard pass by every team.

You're right Nylander worth 5 million or less just like Marner is worth Matt Benning;

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/138589541/

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The want to be contenders for the next 10 seasons.

They're not trading Nylander so they can be marginally better this season.

A Nylander return wouldn't be a marginal difference. Whoever they got back would be a significant addition.

His value will only be lower next year with fewer years until UFA.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I take it you are a cricket fan? Because clearly hockey ain't your thing.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
A Nylander return wouldn't be a marginal difference. Whoever they got back would be a significant addition.

His value will only be lower with fewer years until UFA. Why put it off?

If it's Pesce like everyone is saying, then the improvement is marginal.

Mar 26, 2010

Nylander would be the second best player on the Oilers.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Couple thoughts from a Canes fan:

Regardless of players involved, any Canes trade for Nylander would obviously first require that he agree to a contract the Canes consider "reasonable" (which could be more than what Leafs are offering). Canes can't significantly overpay Nylander because of the effect it would have on negotiations with the current players they'll need to re-sign next year.

An offer sheet from the Canes doesn't make much sense imo. Just on principle, the Leafs would match more on an offer sheet than they'd be willing to offer Nylander without one. So unless it's a significant overpayment, which the Canes can't do, all an offer sheet does for the Canes is make cap issues slightly tougher for the Leafs (not even a Division foe), and create a grudge.

Necas isn't going to be a plus in any package from the Canes (unless it's for Matthews, which obviously isn't going to happen). Anyone suggesting otherwise clearly has no clue about the Canes organization.

Pesce's contract does increase his value. Another team signing Nylander will likely require at least a slight "overpayment", which doesn't help his. Even taking that into account, I don't see the Leafs adding in a Nylander <--> Pesce trade. Canes might add, but I don't see it as being very much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad