Speculation: Nylander XII - The Saga Continues (ALL NYLANDER DISCUSSION HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I’ve heard he’s in the 7-7.5 range these days...
Either way I don't see any sense in speculating about all this. I have no idea exactly why he isn't signed yet, but the fact is that it's November and he still doesn't have a contract. I can't say what I'd be comfortable giving up when we still don't know what exactly Minnesota would be trading for.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Why would Arizona buy him out? Surely Marleau playing with the Coyotes for $1.25m is much better for Arizona then paying $833k to buy him out plus paying $1m or more for the player to replace his roster slot on the team?
Thats still peanuts compared to the $6.25m cap hit they're taking.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Either way I don't see any sense in speculating about all this. I have no idea exactly why he isn't signed yet, but the fact is that it's November and he still doesn't have a contract. I can't say what I'd be comfortable giving up when we still don't know what exactly Minnesota would be trading for.

Sadly, the only explanation that I've heard that remotely sounds plausible, is papa Nylander being the root of all this. Given Nylander's obvious market value it's difficult to find a logicial reason for his holdout. It also doesn't make sense because he is a prominent piece in a team full of young superstars of the same age in the biggest market is like a goddamn lifelong money printing machine. I mean really? I cannot imagine a better career building scenario.
Get your shit together Nylander.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Free agents are getting overpaid regardless. William is probably worth $6 million now but on the open market he would get $7 million easily from a team with cap room. A lot has to do with age and skill. He may also be a Center. What I'm saying is the return the Leafs get by allowing an offer sheet won't be worth it. They would be better off trying to trade him. I doubt a team with a top five overall pick is making him an offer. More like a team outside the top 15 which lowers the first rd value. Since he hasn't asked to be traded yet the best course of action is for Dubas to continue negotiations. Nylander is losing money and doesn't have leverage but at the same time he's hurting the team. The longer this drags on the worse it is in terms of future dealings with the player.
I'm not sure whether Leaf fans are siding with player or owner.
Nylander as a UFA probably makes $7.5-8 million. As an RFA however, without arbitration rights at that, anything above $7 million puts him well above his comparables. As to the position of that 1st rounder the Leafs would get in an offer-sheet, what genuine contenders right now have the cap-space to offer Nylander a $7.5-8 million contract? Would a team like Montreal or Vegas really be willing to gamble that they won't turn into this year's version of Ottawa and regress to being a lottery team? The risk of giving Toronto a shot at Jack Hughes seems like a big dettereant (and this is coming from a Leafs fan that vividly remembers when those 1st rounders for Kessel that were supposed to be in the 20s became Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton).

As to it dragging out, the Leafs are as pointed out, facing cap pressure; if they overpay Nylander above market value now, that means they are under even more pressure when it comes time to sign Marner and Matthews, who are both quite frankly, more valuble to the Leafs than Nylander is. There is only so much money to go around, and quite frankly, if you have to put the screws to someone it might as well be Nylander; Dubas is also showing all the pending RFAs right now (more than just Matthews and Marner it should be remembered) that Toronto is indeed willing to play hard-ball and that hold-outs won't be effective for pressuring an exorbitant salary from the team. If Toronto shows it is willing to cave to the excessive contract demands of its RFAs just because they are willing to sit out a month of the season with Nylander, don't you think that sends a very dangerous method to all their other young players up for new contracts in the next few seasons?

Reactions: Mork

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I don’t expect it to happen, but if somehow Nylander and another team did agree on a 5x $8.1m offer sheet then Toronto has to match. Nylander overpaid at $8.1m is still worth more then a 1st/2nd/3rd. Worst case the Leafs should be able to move him somewhere in the future (after the 1 year matching limit) for a better value then those picks.
Considering that paying Nylander that exhorbitant sum and not even buying his UFA years means they absolutely have to let Gardiner walk, can't afford to upgrade their blue line, and possibly even have real challenges affording Marner (if he really does turn into a point-per-game plus player this season), then no, it isn't worth it. Sometimes no contract is better than a bad contract, and also it all depends on what that 1st is. If it is from a team that could end up in the lottery (which is the vast majority of teams that have the free cap-space to be able to give Nylander such a rich contract), then suddenly the compensation looks more than fair.

Reactions: Mork

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Lots of buzz on talk radio here in vancouver this morning that the Leafs want Oli Juolevi badly and have coveted him for a while now.
( London Knights connection)

Some rumors being discussed is

Juolevi
Gudbranson
Virtanen

For

Nylander
3rd rnd pick

Take out Virtanen and increase the TO pick to a couple of unprotected first and maybe.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Take out Virtanen and increase the TO pick to a couple of unprotected first and maybe.

LOL absolutely what?

Virtanen is alright, I guess.

Gudbranson is a pylon.

Juolevi finally seems to have put it together, but he shoots left and between Rielly, Dermott and Sandin were crowded there. Who does he supplant there, because it sure as hell isn't Rielly and Dermott has an inside track.

Try take out Gudbranson and Juolevi and add Demko and a pick.

Willy + 3rd

For Virtanen, Demko and a 2nd.

...that's at least palatable, but another team would probably front a better offer.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
LOL absolutely what?

Gudbranson is a pylon.

Juolevi finally seems to have put it together, but he shoots left and between Rielly, Dermott and Sandin were crowded there. Who does he supplant there, because it sure as hell isn't Rielly and Dermott has an inside track.

Willy + 3rd

...that's at least palatable, but another team would probably front a better offer.
What the Hell is this garbage?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
What the Hell is this garbage?

Here in the real world, sharks smell blood when you dump a big bucked of chum into the water.

Pesce + 1st+?
Toffoli + Martinez + 2nd?

It ain't a week before the first game of the season anymore.

Id almost rather give him a one year deal and either ship him at the deadline or have to deal with all this again next year than trade him for a lower package, but it is what it is.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Here in the real world, sharks smell blood when you dump a big bucked of chum into the water.

Pesce + 1st+?

Id almost rather give him a one year deal and either ship him at the deadline or have to deal with all this again next year than trade him for a lower package, but it is what it is.
You know how RFA works....right? I would let him sit before moving him for that trash.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Pesce + 1st+?

Knowing that sharks are incapable of staying still (always have to move), my guess is you will starve waiting 5 years for that chum to hit the water.

Reactions: bukwas

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
You know how RFA works....right? I would let him sit before moving him for that trash.

So he sits, and gets bitter and hopefully realizes he f***ed up, good for him. Wouldn't consider either of those packages trash, just the names that come to mind.

You think this whole debacle is going to impress Matthews and Marner, the two superior players who will need to be signed next year?

If this drags on and somehow willy doesn't have a deal next summer, we can't stop him from reporting to camp and we can't stop him from demanding a trade.

I think the absolute most I would give willy is 7.2 - it's a little rich but it factors in what he's accomplished and his potential, but really I want him in at like 6.8.

Hes unwilling to come in at less than 7 (but more than 6.5)...he's gone.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I dunno. Both sides have maintained that they want long-term deals. Seems odd to compromise in that way. The bridge-deal speculation is just that, speculation by the media and fans.

Not to mention that on a bridge deal Nylander is getting hosed for the next two years based on what he’s lost so far this year and not making very much on a bridge deal, which would be probably in the $4.5 to $5.25M range.
Could have had 48 million guaranteed (6 x 8 years) instead he may end up with 15 million (5x3 years). Good decision William.
:sarcasm:

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
LOL absolutely what?

Gudbranson is a pylon.

Willy + 3rd

That’s garbage. Virtanen is a dime a dozen player, and goalie prospects don’t hold much value at all... and the Leafs have some good ones of their own.

Swap Nylander for Kap and I’m still not sure I do this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad