Speculation: Nylander XI - All rumors, proposals, discussion, etc. HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Leafs assume more risk. You know what Nylander is. Teams have been burned by defense-only defenseman before. I don't doubt Pesce is fantastic but until we can quantify defense better and more independently from the system I'm not comfortable walking into what could easily be another Hall for Larsson.

You don't have to agree, that's fine. But you should be able to see where I'm coming from.
I get where you’re coming from, but Nylander isn’t going to ever be confused with Hall. This isn’t that trade by a long shot. If we “know what Nylander is” then you don’t have anything to worry about. We definitely know what Pesce is.

Reactions: SvechNecas

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Its not going to be a 1 for 1 deal.

Almost always, in 1-for-1 deals, the team giving up the more valuable asset loses.

Hall, Subban, F. Forsberg, etc.

It will be Nylander for a package.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
This is an exact replica of the Kessel scenario, coming off a ELC, the star winger who could be a center wants money traded in the fall.

Eventually he was traded for two 1sts and a 2nd.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
No worries...

But yeah, Toronto got hosed on that trade. Thanks to Burke.

It helped fast forward the rebuild and change the culture. Kapanen is a solid piece as well. On paper sure Pitt won the deal that was expected. Stepping back they both won. Pens won 2 cups and Leafs have a great foundation for the future

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
I know this isn’t an official article or anything but this guy hit the nail on the head.

It’s not a rumour or anything just an opinion

Toronto Maple Leafs May Be “Open” to Complete Disaster
Horrific article, at least at the end. The author claimed Zaitsev, Marleau, and Hainsey could be easily replaced by AHL call-ups.

I know Zaitsev has his issues but he has easily been a top 4-D this year. Could you imagine taking out Hainsey and Zaitsev and putting in random AHL call-ups in their place. Our D would be horrific. Our D hasn't even been bad this year....

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Fixed that for you....

And before you answer, consider this: we cannot agree on this thread what his market value is, most Leafs fans throw low numbers while other fans throw in 8 mils offer sheets.

But, I think we all can agree that if Nylander would have been OK with what TML offered him, he would had signed.

It's all rumours and word of mouth but Leafs do seem to be right around his market value when you consider his comparables like Ehlers. if they were offering him 6 million and he wanted 6.75 this would have been settled by now. Nylander is asking closer to 8 according to rumour which I lean towards believing, It can't be that close and this big of a stalemate.

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto
It's all rumours and word of mouth but Leafs do seem to be right around his market value when you consider his comparables like Ehlers. if they were offering him 6 million and he wanted 6.75 this would have been settled by now. Nylander is asking closer to 8 according to rumour which I lean towards believing, It can't be that close and this big of a stalemate.

If I could have Ehlers at 6.75 or Nylander at 6.75 I'd choose Ehlers. So I guess that says something to me about his value.... Then again, if I was asked if I could have Bobby Ryan at his current cap hit or Nylanders at Ryans cap hit id take Nylander.....

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If you factor in that:
A) he’s a RD, which whether anyone likes it or not carries high value.
B) is exactly what the Leafs need as he’s the defense first but with quick feet and a good breakout pass with great size making him the prototypical current day two way guy.
C) he’s saving the Leafs money as he’s cheaper than Nylander and signed for years, and you’re investing the money in defense where it’s needed. On a team that has to contend, is a cap team and needs to save every penny.

Canes have to add my ass. I hate the idea that this trade is probably being considered. Pesce was a miracle that fell in our laps, I’m not remotely happy about giving him up but I get like you say that we inflate our guys values. You have to give to get. I just don’t want to hear about Pesce having less value than Nylander.

I agree. I could see a Pesce for Nylander one for one MAYBE, but more likely Toronto will have to add a B prospect likely just due to contracts

Reactions: Canadian Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad