Speculation: Nylander XI - All rumors, proposals, discussion, etc. HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Uh okay? That doesn't address anything I said. How do the Kings improve by swapping a #2 defensemen and a 2nd line winger for a 1st line winger? They take a huge hit on defense only to get a better top-6 forward. They're going from a 40 point Pearson to a 60 point Nylander and giving up a top pair defenseman to get that swap. How do the Kings improve there?

Losing Muzzin wouldn't be a huge hit to the defense. They wouldn't be trading him if it would be. He's on the ice for as many even strength goals against as for. He's just not the difference maker that a lot of people, especially outside observers, think. If I were LA, I'd take Nylander for Muzzin and Pearson and run.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I feel like that would be very stupid for LA to do, tbh. Nylander isn't worth both Pearson and Muzzin unless Toronto is adding a moderately significant piece with Nylander.

I think it would be the most idiotic trade I have seen so far for Toronto. Toronto would be a million times better off just paying Nylander 7.75 million a season for the next 7 or 8 years then paying Muzzin and Person that for the next ~ 2 years before they are UFA.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Signing Tavares has nothing to do with Nylander. The fact is that the Leafs are not willing to pay him what he wants. In other words, they are not willing to overpay. That would be true whether they had signed Tavares or not.

Huh?
So not having 11m in contract money to spend has nothing to do with locking up another big contract? Brilliant

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
We'll have to agree to disagree. This is clearly in favour of the Kings since they are not losing any long-term assets and get rid of a pretty mediocre player in the same breath.

"I don't care if the Leafs like it or not" Well you should because that's who you have to entice in order to get something done, not the other way around.

I'm just telling you from the POV of the Leafs, it would be terrible in a lot of ways and makes zero sense based on needs.

When you make a trade for a good player, and don't feel bad about the assets you're losing, then it's probably not a deal the other team should make.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
CAR fan here. IMO, I'd rather not overpay in assets for Nylander in order to have the privilege of overpaying in cash for Nylander, who may or may not be our solution at center. I also think we have enough young players (Aho, Svechnikov, Necas, Foegele, Teravainen, etc.) and could use a veteran center option. So, in short, I want Jeff Carter.

So how do we get Carter to CAR and Nylander to L.A.?

L.A. gets: William Nylander
CAR gets: Jeff Carter
TOR gets: ???

Carolina would give up Faulk (plus maybe a little more), L.A. obviously has more to give. There's definitely a deal here.

So let's start with Faulk, Pearson and say, Nicolas Roy. What else?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
CAR fan here. IMO, I'd rather not overpay in assets for Nylander in order to have the privilege of overpaying in cash for Nylander, who may or may not be our solution at center. I also think we have enough young players (Aho, Svechnikov, Necas, Foegele, Teravainen, etc.) and could use a veteran center option. So, in short, I want Jeff Carter.

Carolina would give up Faulk (plus maybe a little more), L.A. obviously has more to give. There's definitely a deal here.

Ask yourself why Toronto would do that trade. If Nylander is traded...think 1 for 1....a really good young Dman, Faulk and Pearson would be an easy pass. Also an easy pass on the Muzzin talk in here.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Why complicate things by adding a third team. Each can put together a good package if they really wanted him

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
only rumours from the media which over history have been incorrect many times.
When was the last time everybody in the sports media reported the exact same thing for over 2 months, and the truth about a contract was completely the opposite?

It's interesting how easily people believe the media for everything else, especially when it supports their narrative, but something that paints the Leafs as being reasonable in a negotiation? Nah, can't have that.

At this point we have no reason to believe that one side is being anymore unreasonable then the other side.
Yeah, we do. Everything points to Nylander being unreasonable with his valuation.

My personal opinion is similar to what some of the media has stated Nylander is likely being asked to leave some money on the table and doesn’t want to be looking up at Marner who he likely sees as his equal signing for 7.5-8+ million when there were rumours of him wanting 10 million few months ago (never mind AM huge new deal).
Marner was never getting 10m. The Leafs aren't sticking strong on market value with Nylander just to overpay Marner or Matthews. That makes no sense.

Also, Nylander is not equal to Marner, so if he's expecting to be paid the same, he'll be waiting a long time. Marner has outproduced him at every step, despite being younger and having less opportunities. Marner is the better player, has the better resume, will have 1 less RFA year left, and will be signing under a higher cap.

Again, contracts are based on market value, and the results on the ice, not on what Nylander wishes he was.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Ask yourself why Toronto would do that trade. If Nylander is traded...think 1 for 1....a really good young Dman, Faulk and Pearson would be an easy pass. Also an easy pass on the Muzzin talk in here.

I haven't even proposed a trade. I started with a framework. And I didn't include Muzzin because you all made it clear you weren't interested. There have got to be two assets you'd take -- one from L.A. and one from Carolina -- that would make a Nylander trade work.

Why complicate things by adding a third team. Each can put together a good package if they really wanted him

IMO, Nylander isn't a perfect *fit* for Carolina, and Carter-for-Faulk is pretty close. If you want CAR and L.A. to just do that, it can probably be arranged, but I think L.A. wants a young player to build around, so I thought I'd see if I could get Nylander to L.A. and Carter to CAR.

Scrapy1980

Dec 25, 2016
Ontario
I always said keep Nylander but if Toronto can’t sign him to 6.66 @7 years max or 2 year bridge then this is a deal that interests me.
Brett Pesce + Teuvo Teravainen
For
Nylander, Andreas Johnsson and Justin Holl.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I haven't even proposed a trade. I started with a framework. And I didn't include Muzzin because you all made it clear you weren't interested. There have got to be two assets you'd take -- one from L.A. and one from Carolina -- that would make a Nylander trade work.

IMO, Nylander isn't a perfect *fit* for Carolina, and Carter-for-Faulk is pretty close. If you want CAR and L.A. to just do that, it can probably be arranged, but I think L.A. wants a young player to build around, so I thought I'd see if I could get Nylander to L.A. and Carter to CAR.
Sure...the piece from Carolina needs to be Pesce, no interest in Faulk.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas also said all 3 of the Leafs big young forwards will be signed no problem....

So what he says holds little value.
He didn't say no problem. He had we can, and we will, and that still may very well be true.

Even if it doesn't happen, that doesn't devalue Dubas' word. He based that statement off of a reasonable understanding of what those contracts would require, and there is no way to anticipate one player suddenly deciding he's worth 33% more than he actually is.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The reason you want Pesce is he is really good.... the reason why nylander doesn't get you pesce is cause hes really good.
Fair enough. The reason i wpuldb't trade Nylander for Faulk+ is because Faulk is not at all what the Leafs need.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fair enough. The reason i wpuldb't trade Nylander for Faulk+ is because Faulk is not at all what the Leafs need.
Who is on your RHD right now? I feel like faulk is an overall upgrade on most/if not all of them

the way the ducks are playing id consider something around manson+ for nylander +

Reactions: Stickpucker

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Who is on your RHD right now? I feel like faulk is an overall upgrade on most/if not all of them

the way the ducks are playing id consider something around manson+ for nylander +
Faulk is another Gardiner....we have a Gardiner, don't need another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad