Nylander won't be traded (core piece)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
his contract is going to look like gold once the others are making 10+ million. This will slowly repair his relationship with the fans.

Reactions: Walshy7

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I disagree. The contract is fairly front loaded, most of his salary, 40% is paid by July 1st this coming year. I believe he becomes a very valuable tradeable asset to shore up the back end. With Mariner and Mathews up and JT already signed we just can't have that much salary tied to a few forwards. Nice player but he held out till the last minute, still was given too much money. Before all you guys go off with percentages and all that stuff, he is paid more than Pasta and Ehlers. Let that sink in.

My thoughts as well, I hope he kicks ass the next 6 months-2 years because eventually he will be gone for D help, and that contract will look great to a cash strapped team. If he stays the whole 6 years I'd say Dubas lost like 60-40 nothing crazy, but if he is traded then its a no brainer win with that contract.

Reactions: daveleaf

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed! At the least it shows how smart our GM is
Him and his team certainly seem to be. It’s a good feeling.
This is a good discussion, where there are very valid points to be made either way. I love the idea that there will be two-three head-spinning lines rolling for the next six-seven years....but, ya know, damn cap.
The other threads were busy announcing winners and losers, but, looks like both sides came out with what they wanted and both sides made some concessions. The AAV needle slightly in favour of the player side. But, otherwise, I think that’s how deals are supposed to work.

Reactions: saltming

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
It seems like they structured his contract to make it more tradable but that doesnt mean he isnt also a core player.

But if it was between losing marner, matthews or nylander due to cap reasons or what ever, I know who I'd rather trade

Reactions: daveleaf

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Dubas and the Leafs arent going through another negotiation with him. No way he finishes this deal as a Leaf, and the way its strucured would support that.
His next deal he's ufa so there will be no negotiating like this one

Reactions: Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Front loading a contract does not mean they want to trade him. Front loading it could be the strategy used to make both parties happy.

Could be? That’s the reason dubas said so. I mean we have a poster who says we have to take dubas at his word so looks like nylander is here to stay. Unless someone knocks our socks off of course, which goes for any player

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Him and his team certainly seem to be. It’s a good feeling.
This is a good discussion, where there are very valid points to be made either way. I love the idea that there will be two-three head-spinning lines rolling for the next six-seven years....but, ya know, damn cap.
The other threads were busy announcing winners and losers, but, looks like both sides came out with what they wanted and both sides made some concessions. The AAV needle slightly in favour of the player side. But, otherwise, I think that’s how deals are supposed to work.
How to build a perennial cup contending team in the new NHL? Hmmm this could be the new template

Reactions: aingefan

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think the plan is to trade him either. Fair to say it wasn't an easy contract to get done. I'd guess that was more due to the current cap situation and the other important negotiations that are to come though, not so much a reflection on this one being difficult for any wrong reason. Always great to have flexibility with contracts as much as possible. I'd say what makes the contract appealing in trade (the long term, perhaps the payout structure, etc.) can also be argued as having appeal to the Leafs as well.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Could be? That’s the reason dubas said so. I mean we have a poster who says we have to take dubas at his word so looks like nylander is here to stay. Unless someone knocks our socks off of course, which goes for any player
But you know just because dubas said it doesn't mean anything? :sarcasm:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The idea that the team signed a player to six years and plan to trade him doesn’t hold up to much scrutiny.

The contract being frontloaded is common for many big money deals. The Leafs likely will do this with the Marner and Matthews deals too. Players like it because it slows them to start investing the bulk of their money right away, and teams like it because of the added flexibility it can offer.

Ultimately Nylander may end up one of the best “bang for your buck” deals on the team as the cap continues to rise. You tend to not trade guys like that

Here's what raises an eyebrow for me.

IF there is going to be a lockout, it will be in the 2020-21 season if I'm not mistaken.

From a players point of view, I want my one huge July 1st bonus prior to that year so I am lockout proof. But that's not what happened, the year of the huge signing bonus is 2019 which makes the contract much more tradable and doesn't provide any lockout protection for the player.

No reason to believe Dubas is lying about wanting to keep them together, but the structure does make me go hmm.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
That’s right there is $7m. The panic merchants on this board my god
But AM and MM due for massive raises and the internal replacements on D not as strong as they might be upfront.
But, really, it’s just very snug for one year.
Shame and unfortunate timing that that one year has 1/3 of team as RFA’s, including 2 of the three best players. Lol.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
The main reason they front loaded the contract was to ensure that Willy gets paid if there is a lockout. It's the same thing they did with Tavares, and it will be the same thing that happens with Matthews, Marner and a whole lot of other players on teams that can afford it.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
But you have to consider the different cap ceilings when those contracts were signed.

Cap hit % in year they signed

Scheifele = 8.39% (8 year deal)
Ehlers = 8.00% (7 year deal)
Larkin = 7.67% (5 year deal)
Forsberg = 8.22% (6 year deal)
Nylander = 8.77% (6 year deal)
Pastrnak = 8.89% (6 year deal)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Cap hit % in year they signed

Scheifele = 8.39% (8 year deal)
Ehlers = 8.00% (7 year deal)
Larkin = 7.67% (5 year deal)
Forsberg = 8.22% (6 year deal)
Nylander = 8.77% (6 year deal)
Pastrnak = 8.89% (6 year deal)
Seems equitable

TheMidlifeCrisisGuy

Nov 26, 2018
He's not going to finish his contract here.

Best case scenario we keep him for 4 more playoff runs and unload him with 2 years left for a good return.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
I disagree. Front loading a contract makes him a valuable piece to all teams including budget teams. 40% of the contract paid in the first year means even though he has a higher AAV his actual dollars are manageable. That contract was made to be traded. Willy wanted big money, he got it but the Leafs have a deal that they can move in a heartbeat.

Front loading is also a thing that ALL players ask for... at least any accountant would. Not sure why you'd want anything different. Players love contracts front loaded and with signing bonuses. Player gets to earn interest on all those millions. Since the Leafs are finacially flush, every single one of their contracts should be max front-loaded and max-signing bonus, at an organizational level, to become more attractive both for us, and to any other team. Each day a Leaf contract would become more valuable.

Nylander gets $21M by July 1st. Let's say he can get an easy 6% return on his money through investments.. thats $1.26M per year more he gets through years 2-6 just because Toronto front loaded and bonus'd him.

Reactions: Kurtz

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Front loading is also a thing that ALL players ask for... at least any accountant would. Not sure why you'd want anything different. Players love contracts front loaded and with signing bonuses. Player gets to earn interest on all those millions. Since the Leafs are finacially flush, every single one of their contracts should be max front-loaded and max-signing bonus, at an organizational level, to become more attractive.

Nylander gets $21M by July 1st. Let's say he can get an easy 6% return on his money through investments.. thats $1.26M per year more he gets through years 2-6 just because Toronto front loaded and bonus'd him.
Doesn't front loading a contract also make it "lockout proof"?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Before all you guys go off with percentages and all that stuff, he is paid more than Pasta and Ehlers. Let that sink in.

So ignore basic concepts like percentages? Gotcha. That’s a solid argument.

He’s paid less than Pastrnak relative to the salary cap when the deals were signed. That’s not magic that’s just a simple fact.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Lots of posters saying willie is gone next year. I don't think that's what TML has planned. Dubas said

Dubas gets first piece of Leafs’ RFA puzzle in place, Matthews, Marner next
There has always been a trade Nylander crowd, but it seems that management identifies him as part of the core and rightfully so.
So why would you trade him?
We will see how time goes before making that claim. 6 years is a long time without 6 years of team and individual playoff success to measure.
Again the deal wasn’t terrible but Nylander won the deal from a player perspective IMO.

He got 7 million and is a UFA in 6 years. Do this next time.
We didn’t even get the 7th year (extra UFA protection) in it. I would have insisted on 7 x 7.
He missed 2 months and because of bonus structure we didn’t really get the cap hit savings most of us were looking for at 6.4 - 6.6.

So this just doesn’t apply to Nylander as the only tradeable option, it’s to difficult to claim nothing will ever or should ever change.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
What we don't know is whether there are any ill feelings between the Leafs and Nylander now. If there are, you can bet this contract was structured in this manner so that they can trade him as soon as July 2nd.

They can probably trade before, just still be on the hook for the bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad