Speculation: Nylander V - The Management Strikes Back (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oh, so you would have to add to Doughty to get Nylander too? Lmao.

Nylander and a small + for Pesce is the price it would take.

I had no idea that apparently half of all the good defencemen in the league play in Carolina. If Pesce is worth Nylander +, DeHaan is worth Nylander, and Faulk is worth RNH/Puljujarvi, to say nothing of Slavin and Hamilton hot damn the Canes must be Cup favourites.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
[MOD]

A significant add would need to go along with Faulk for Nylander. I don’t see CAR adding a 1st, a 2nd won’t do it, etc.

All that said, I’d do Pesce for an unsigned RFA Nylander quite easily. I personally think the 1-1 value there is quite comparable and the needs of both teams would be well met. That ain’t gonna happen though, so, oh well...

Last edited by a moderator:

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
I had no idea that apparently half of all the good defencemen in the league play in Carolina. If Pesce is worth Nylander +, DeHaan is worth Nylander, and Faulk is worth RNH/Puljujarvi, to say nothing of Slavin and Hamilton hot damn the Canes must be Cup favourites.
Not saying they are worth that, but this one did not surprise me.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
So from this thread we've gathered that the Canes have a 1 in Slavin, Pesce who's floor is a 2, Hamilton who is another top pairing d-man, De Haan and Faulk are both top 4 defensemen. So that's a 1,2,2,4,4. I think the Canes are going to be like the Preds with that d-core damn.........

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Did I miss the season where Pesce put up 40-50 points and was seen in the same light as players like Seth Jones, Werenski and Provorov?

Reactions: Confucius

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You're not getting that kind of value for an RFA holdout in-season that wants $8M/year long-term, won't budge or negotiate, and isn't worth more than $6M/year.

Think half that 1-for-1 or ~85% of actual value for a package.
Obviously there would be no trade without a deal negotiated beforehand, so your whole point is null.

Also just lol @ the bolded, any other news you wanna share rumorbreak?

Like seriously, think for just one second.

Why would the Leafs trade Nylander, when his value is apparently cut in half because he isn't signed. Think before you post.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Did I miss the season where Pesce put up 40-50 points and was seen in the same light as players like Seth Jones, Werenski and Provorov?

Everything bad in Carolina is Cam Ward, Scott Darling, or Eddie Lack’s fault.

Pesce is a good young defensively minded top four but talk of Toronto having to add to Nylander is absurd - and I hate you both equally. :laugh:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If Nylander is going to Carolina I want Hamilton back, not that middle pairing D-man that Canes fans like to parrot around as a guy who's floor is a 2.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Everything bad in Carolina is Cam Ward, Scott Darling, or Eddie Lack’s fault.

Pesce is a good young defensively minded top four but talk of Toronto having to add to Nylander is absurd.
Pesce is a very good young defender. So is Slavin. No doubt.

But some of these posters are talking about these players like they wouldn't trade them straight up for Hedman.

Pesce's career high is 4 goals.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
? He’s still an attractive pickup considering he’d be your best defenseman, even if it’s only for “2 years” like you say it is.

People have been calling for Gio’s regression for a few years now.
That would be poor asset management. Regardless of the fact that Giordano might be better than Rielly right now, he won't be moving forward considering ages. Giving up a 22 year old for a 35 year old is just really bad asset management. If Gio was 30 that would work even, just not 35. He's got 2 maybe 3 years left at his current level at best, Nylander turned 22 months ago and has his entire career ahead of him.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So from this thread we've gathered that the Canes have a 1 in Slavin, Pesce who's floor is a 2, Hamilton who is another top pairing d-man, De Haan and Faulk are both top 4 defensemen. So that's a 1,2,2,4,4. I think the Canes are going to be like the Preds with that d-core damn.........

Quite a bit of hyperbole there, but is it really that much of a stretch to think that CAR could have a top 5 d-core in the league?

I don’t think Slavin has the offensive output to be considered a true #1, whatever those criteria may be, but I have no issues calling him a top pair guy. Hamilton, I’d day is the opposite of Slavin, in that his offensive game is elite, but he’s d abilities are passable for a top 4 guy ,not dominant. I don’t think you’d get much dissent around the league by also calling Hamilton a top pairing guy.

Pesce and de Haan could also play with a Slavin or Hamilton and still be considered decent top pair guys, but I think they’re much better suited to be very solid second pair guys with the ability to play in any situation.

Faulk by any metric is a top 4 guy and is a more than decent PP guy, who needs a change of scenery. Due to CAR’s depth either Faulk or Pesce, both solid top 4 guys, are forced to play in the 3rd pair.

Then you have guys like TVR and Fleury competing for that last spot on the 3rd pair. Either of these guys have shown they’re able to step up and play 20mins a night and not look bad doing it.

CAR’s d-core is certainly not on the level of NSH or SJ, but I think they’re certainly right up there, close behind those teams’ premier d-men.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Quite a bit of hyperbole there, but is it really that much of a stretch to think that CAR could have a top 5 d-core in the league?

I don’t think Slavin has the offensive output to be considered a true #1, whatever those criteria may be, but I have no issues calling him a top pair guy. Hamilton, I’d day is the opposite of Slavin, in that his offensive game is elite, but he’s d abilities are passable for a top 4 guy ,not dominant. I don’t think you’d get much dissent around the league by also calling Hamilton a top pairing guy.

Pesce and de Haan could also play with a Slavin or Hamilton and still be considered decent top pair guys, but I think they’re much better suited to be very solid second pair guys with the ability to play in any situation.

Faulk by any metric is a top 4 guy and is a more than decent PP guy, who needs a change of scenery. Due to CAR’s depth either Faulk or Pesce, both solid top 4 guys, are forced to play in the 3rd pair.

Then you have guys like TVR and Fleury competing for that last spot on the 3rd pair. Either of these guys have shown they’re able to step up and play 20mins a night and not look bad doing it.

CAR’s d-core is certainly not on the level of NSH or SJ, but I think they’re certainly right up there, close behind those teams’ premier d-men.
That explains why the Canes finished 8th most goals given up last year, 13th most the year before that and 13th as well 3 years ago.

Oh wait, let me guess...that was all on the goaltenders for the past 3 years...At some point your stud defense actually has to perform like one. Darling posted great numbers before coming to the Canes, and it's not like the Hawks had a better defense than the one your claiming the Canes have. If you keep calling your d-core top 5, they better be at least near the top 10 in lowest GA in any of the last 3 years. If the best you can do is 17th over that stretch, doesn't really mean much.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
That explains why the Canes finished 8th most goals given up last year, 13th most the year before that and 13th as well 3 years ago.

Oh wait, let me guess...that was all on the goaltenders for the past 3 years...At some point your stud defense actually has to perform like one. Darling posted great numbers before coming to the Canes, and it's not like the Hawks had a better defense than the one your claiming the Canes have. If you keep calling your d-core top 5, they better be at least near the top 10 in lowest GA in any of the last 3 years. If the best you can do is 17th over that stretch, doesn't really mean much.

Canes are 4th in the league on money spent on D. I am a firm believer that what you spend has a direct correlation on how well you will do in the NHL. Canes are dead last in the league in salary cap by the way. Trying to be realistic about this season.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Canes are 4th in the league on money spent on D. I am a firm believer that what you spend has a direct correlation on how well you will do in the NHL. Canes are dead last in the league in salary cap by the way. Trying to be realistic about this season.
Really...money spent? LOOOOOL

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Nylander for Hanifan +

That's what I would want from a Toronto pov

From a Calgary perspective no thanks, Hanifan is a 21 year old defensemen with a very high ceiling and a very good contract, let alone a plus. I wouldn't trade him for a winger. Nylander is good but he's not a must have for the Flames.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If it was 7 million the deal would have been done by now.
Maybe not. You have no idea. Not claiming that I have more, but we are both getting speculation from insiders who freely admit that neither the Leafs camp nor the Nylander camp have talked to the press. Even the 8000000 is speculation by Dregger.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Nylander @ $7.75M for 7 Years + Gardiner + 2019 4th for Brett Pesce + Justin Williams + 2019 2nd + 2019 3rd?
Nylander isn't signing for that much lmao. This deal does nothing for the Leafs. The difference between Gardiner and Pesce isn't a bad contract in Williams and Nylander.

I'd do Nylander for Hamilton straight up or Nylander for Pesce + something minor. Slavin is obviously not gunna be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad