Speculation: Nylander Thread VI - Return of the Agent (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think the final deal will be a 2 year bridge with 6mil AAV.
If Nylander is signing for 2 years, there is absolutely no way he gets 6 mil per.

He also will never sign for 2 years, as that would mean he wouldn't have a contract or be getting paid during the probable lockout.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Why would a team give up a roster player AND then pay him 8 million when you can just give up a few picks.
Because assuming you can actually get the player through offer sheet, which is unlikely, you are paying more, buying 3 less UFA years (meaning you'll lose him), and having to go through additional transactions (that you lose on while having no guarantees of anything), and you'll still lose one or more decent roster players anyway because of it in a year.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
How about that six spot they gave up? Offense doesn't appear to be a problem but the Leafs have legit concerns in goal and on the blue line.

In fairness, they were playing the second of back-to-back nights, after travelling to Chicago, with a rookie in goal. I mean, Montreal walked into Pittsburgh and beat them 5-1 the night before. Shit happens.

It's still early, teams are still ironing out the kinks. That said, I am in 100% agreement - there should be some red flags when it comes to that D coverage.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How about that six spot they gave up? Offense doesn't appear to be a problem but the Leafs have legit concerns in goal and on the blue line.
You mean that game we won, in front of our young backup goalie, in his first real game in the NHL, in the 2nd game of a back-to-back, in the 3rd game of the season when offense is flying and systems are sloppy?

Leafs will be fine.

Reactions: LeafChief

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Because assuming you can actually get the player through offer sheet, which is unlikely, you are paying more, buying 3 less UFA years (meaning you'll lose him), and having to go through additional transactions (that you lose on while having no guarantees of anything), and you'll still lose one or more decent roster players anyway because of it in a year.

Your making a lot of assumptions. One of them being that a team doesn't know how to manage its cap, and unless your chia, I doubt that's much of an issue. I could see your point about not wanting to sign, but nylander has to make up his mind, and this is the only way he gets 8 million. Also, unless your boston trading Dougie Hamilton for scraps, a first, second, and third isn't worth more than a top pairing rhd (unless your team is absolute dog shit, but I'd assume this offersheet didn't come from a bottom 10 team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No way SJ takes that contract, and Marleau has a NMC.
Fair enough,not that Toronto needs the scoring help to begin with...But Nylander is a very good young player and needs to play...Hopefully they can figure something out

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Your making a lot of assumptions. One of them being that a team doesn't know how to manage its cap, and unless your chia, I doubt that's much of an issue. I could see your point about not wanting to sign, but nylander has to make up his mind, and this is the only way he gets 8 million. Also, unless your boston trading Dougie Hamilton for scraps, a first, second, and third isn't worth more than a top pairing rhd (unless your team is absolute dog ****, but I'd assume this offersheet didn't come from a bottom 10 team.
I was under the impression you were talking about Nashville. Teams manage their cap by not signing offer sheets. :laugh:

There are very few teams that have the space to offer sheet Nylander at that price. Of the ones that do, not all have the required picks. Of the ones that do, there are very few that don't need that space for their own players very soon, who wouldn't lose anything because of it. If there are any teams left, it's unlikely that it's one that Nylander would actually want to go to.

These are some of many reasons why there have only been 8 offer sheets (1 successful) in the last 20 years, and none for over 5 years.

member 157595

Fair enough,not that Toronto needs the scoring help to begin with...But Nylander is a very good young player and needs to play...Hopefully they can figure something out

I hated the Marleau contract the moment it was signed. He's not a bad player but given the AAV, NMC and 35+ year issues, there's no easy way to get cap relief from it.

My problem here is that no one really knows what either side is asking for. I doubt Nylander is stuck on $8M/year because he couldn't possibly be that stupid; the Leafs are a good opportunity to make money and compete and as long as they're giving you a market value contract it makes sense to take it. However, I'm not a pom-pom waver; if Nylander's being offered well below market value by the Leafs he is well within his rights to tell the Leafs to pound sand.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I was under the impression you were talking about Nashville.

There are very few teams that have the space to offer sheet Nylander at that price. Of the ones that do, not all have the required picks. Of the ones that do, there are very few that don't need that space for their own players very soon, who wouldn't lose anything because of it. If there are any teams left, it's unlikely that it's one that Nylander would actually want to go to.

These are some of many reasons why there have only been 8 offer sheets (1 successful) in the last 20 years, and none for over 5 years.

This is all hypothetical. I'm just saying it makes more sense to offersheet than pay a huge sum for a player you have to overpay (and I do agree with leafs fans saying nylander is crazy to ask for 8 million).

member 157595

I'd take Marleau back at 50% but we'd need to move someone like Melker Karlsson first to fit him

Obviously that doesn't work for us, but I'd say the same thing if I were a Sharks fan so it's understandable.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Only way Marleau is going to be traded is after July 1st 2019. That's when his bonus kicks in I believe.

Yes, as of that point he carries a 6.25 cap hit, but is only owed 1.25 in base salary, so a team that has him on their roster could go 5 million below the cap floor in actual salary.

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
The thing with Nylander is if we wants a ridiculous amount of money and forces a trade his return won't be very good. A small 20 goal, 60 point player is not worth 8 million. Nylander and Ehlers are almost identical players. Ehlers scores at a higher clip and Nylander plays centre and wing so they probably cancel each other out but I'd give Ehlers the slight edge (goals > assists IMO).

Nylander is worth 6 million at absolute max and at that price he gets re-signed. If he sticks out for 7.5 or 8 is he really better than what you could sign on the free agent market for 8 million? (Perron 66 points for 4 million).

All the power is in Nylander's hands. Either the Leafs cough up the cash or trade him for a disappointing return.

member 157595

The thing with Nylander is if we wants a ridiculous amount of money and forces a trade his return won't be very good. A small 20 goal, 60 point player is not worth 8 million. Nylander and Ehlers are almost identical players. Ehlers scores at a higher clip and Nylander plays centre and wing so they probably cancel each other out but I'd give Ehlers the slight edge (goals > assists IMO).

Nylander is worth 6 million at absolute max and at that price he gets re-signed. If he sticks out for 7.5 or 8 is he really better than what you could sign on the free agent market for 8 million? (Perron 66 points for 4 million).

I believe that if Nylander were willing to sign for $6M/year long-term it would be done already. If we can't get a good return for Nylander, why trade him?

All the power is in Nylander's hands. Either the Leafs cough up the cash or trade him for a disappointing return.

That's not true at all. Nylander gets paid during the regular season and is losing money by the day. We can stay in the playoff race without him. No other team has control of his rights right now.

If Dubas overpays Nylander the Leafs are in deep shit. He knows this so he's going to do his best. Will he come out ahead in the end? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad