Speculation: Nylander Thread VI - Return of the Agent (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No and no. Rumors on both sides. The rumor is that Nylander is seeking $8M/year; I don't buy it because he's not probably getting that from anyone and DEFINITELY not getting that from us.

Thank you. Would it be fair to say that 6-6.5 would be a fair AAV for him?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Arbatration awards what players are worth. Value is value. The RFA thing does not mean your worth less. UFA's can find teams to pay an extra million or two, but RFA's still have there value. Thats why Toronto just gave 11 to a guy whos compareables just signed for 9.5
Kucherov- 4.7x3
Reinhart- 3.62x2
Johansen- 4x3
Galchenyuk- 2.8x2
Stone- 3.5x3

The "RFA thing" does mean players are worth less in terms of signing value. Non Arbitration eligible RFA years are dirt cheap. Long term averages include those dirt cheap years, but they're balance by the more expensive UFA and higher leverage RFA years. A bridge term does not come with a long term AAV

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Words only have meaning at the time it was said. That was then, this is now. Dorion also said Karlsson would never be traded and nobody at the time ever expected Karlsson to be traded.
I dont care though considering the person I quoted said theres no way Nylander is traded...

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
True but that's probably why they would both want to wait to re - sign with the cap always rising and matthews coming off an injured season and marner playing out of his mind the second half and getting tavares .
but that's why you offer them more than they've earned but less that than they may be worth the following year(s) , the trade off is the player gets the security of a long term deal and the team gets a break on cap hit in the future

they should have had faith in the kids and offered Mathews 11 x 8 and Marner mid 7's x 8 but instead the Dube just kept waxing on about the process and other nonsense

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If Nylander wants 8+ right now, he may as well go play overseas lol nobody will be giving him that yet.

I have a hard time believing he is looking for that, I mean it's so absurd right now at this point in his career.

I guess you don't understand how negotiations work.

In all honesty Nylander is easily worth 7M a year. And if someone would offert sheet him that amount, your team, Toronto Maple Leafs would match it the instant they knew about it because he's worth that much for them too.

But Nylander cannot come to the table and say, guys i'm worth 7 and don't want a penny less. It's not how it works.

He's asking for 8/8.5 and team is offering 6 or even less. They will negotiate and in a perfect ground will meet at some midpoint between 6.75/7 and both parties will be happy.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

In all honesty Nylander is easily worth 7M a year. And if someone would offert sheet him that amount, your team, Toronto Maple Leafs would match it the instant they knew about it because he's worth that much for them too.

But Nylander cannot come to the table and say, guys i'm worth 7 and don't want a penny less. It's not how it works.

He's asking for 8/8.5 and team is offering 6 or even less. They will negotiate and in a perfect ground will meet at some midpoint between 6.75/7 and both parties will be happy.

No No I get how they work.

He is free to ask for the moon, but 8.5M a year (drai money) is the most absurd starting point he could have asked for.

I agree though, 6.75-7 long term would be perfect.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

.........next August.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
No No I get how they work.

He is free to ask for the moon, but 8.5M a year (drai money) is the most absurd starting point he could have asked for.

I agree though, 6.75-7 long term would be perfect.

The point is he has the potential to equate Marners production. But everyone is saying Marner will get 8/8.5. So how's that fair for Nylander ?

It's the same way as people don't see Matthews getting less than JT.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

How did you conclude that Willy is 'easily worth' 7M ? He has peers to compare to that are arguably better than him,who do not make 7M.
If his agent is using JVR (as rumored) as a comparison,then Dubas might as well look for a trade partner!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The point is he has the potential to equate Marners production. But everyone is saying Marner will get 8/8.5. So how's that fair for Nylander ?

It's the same way as people don't see Matthews getting less than JT.

I see what you are saying, but I also would't pay Marner 8.5.

They want fair? Here is 7M per year for both, case closed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad