Speculation: Nylander Thread VI - Return of the Agent (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
way too much, has nylander produced away from matthews?

Why would he be traded for anything less than an overpayment if it doesn't include an established RHD?

It's so dumb it's unbelievable, we have no reason to trade Nylander if we are getting quantity back.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Because the "trade me" request drops any week now?

Okay until that happens and completely changes the situation, we are allowed to easily dismiss any offers that aren't an established dman.

Fair?

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
As each game goes by Nylander gets more expensive.

Not necessarily. I think it depends on how the Leafs do. If they win games, Leafs can wait him out. If they lose games, they’ll feel the pressure to get him in the lineup.

Dynamic player but a winger at the end of the day. Can be replaced - Kap looked fantastic last night.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not necessarily. I think it depends on how the Leafs do. If they win games, Leafs can wait him out. If they lose games, they’ll feel the pressure to get him in the lineup.

Dynamic player but a winger at the end of the day. Can be replaced - Kap looked fantastic last night.
My comment was more about the rumours that Nylander wants to see what Marner and Mathews get. The rumour that he feels he's as good as Marner. Well Mathews and Marner are building their resume by playing very well so far. So by association Willie may also think he is worth more now. ;)

Reactions: NotNotALeafsFan

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Why would he be traded for anything less than an overpayment if it doesn't include an established RHD?

It's so dumb it's unbelievable, we have no reason to trade Nylander if we are getting quantity back.

Why would anybody overpay for an unsigned player with an crazy ask when everybody knows Leafs don't need him.

Besides that I wouldn't want him for 5M.

Good for TOR to hold out when Nylander asks for the moon.
Good for Nylander to hold out because it hurts Shanaplan.
This is just the pre episode for Mathews.

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Why would anybody overpay for an unsigned player with an crazy ask when everybody knows Leafs don't need him.

Mathews will be the highest paid player in the league

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

I honestly think this doesnt phase the shanaplan at all. I think the expectation was you couldn't afford all 4 after signing Tavares and Nylander was gone in the spring next year anyhow.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Nylander for Justin Faulk

Leafs get some help on D for just under 5 million per year making salary room for Marner/Matthews.

Carolina get Nylander and can run with Aho/Nylander/Jordan Staal as their 1/2/3

The pace at which Matthews and Marner are playing, I don't see any way the Leafs can fit everyone in.

They've got around 27 million free to sign their three upcoming rfa's

Matthews is worth 12. Marner is worth 10. Meaning they have +/- 5 mil free.

This works perfect

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Trading Nylander for the sake of trading him isn't pragmatic but if you get a cost controlled young-ish D for him it makes much more sense than some Leafs fans are willing to acknowledge, you'd be stupid to not at least consider it.

This.

Even if you can't do a 1-for-1 equal valued trade... get a #1 pick out of it. Yeah, the Leafs are in win-now mode, but having the draft capital will allow them to replace Nylander with players that have better cost control.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Okay until that happens and completely changes the situation, we are allowed to easily dismiss any offers that aren't an established dman.

Fair?

I d think you could get a "good young player with great upside" out of Willie. Or a 3D with some warts and medium term out of mid pack NHL D-core.

However "overpayment" is not happening, lucky to get full value at this point of the year.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Nylander for Justin Faulk

Leafs get some help on D for just under 5 million per year making salary room for Marner/Matthews.

Carolina get Nylander and can run with Aho/Nylander/Jordan Staal as their 1/2/3

The pace at which Matthews and Marner are playing, I don't see any way the Leafs can fit everyone in.

They've got around 27 million free to sign their three upcoming rfa's

Matthews is worth 12. Marner is worth 10. Meaning they have +/- 5 mil free.

This works perfect
Yeah, no.
Faulk has a big shot and is otherwise poor at actually defending.
Leafs pass really easily.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Because the "trade me" request drops any week now?
That's quite the dangerous request, considering everything suggests that Nylander wants to stay in Toronto, Nylander would have no control over where he goes, and he would have no guarantee that he would get any more money in the place he is traded to.

Not to mention that his new team would be an unknown, and they may not offer the same offensive opportunities or elite linemates like Matthews, and he could cost himself even more money in the long run by decreasing the value of his future UFA contracts.

Even if he did ask for a trade, it doesn't mean Toronto has to do it. Toronto has all the leverage, and holds all the cards. If he's going to be traded, it will be on Toronto's terms, when they are ready, to the team they want, for the return they want.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My comment was more about the rumours that Nylander wants to see what Marner and Mathews get. The rumour that he feels he's as good as Marner. Well Mathews and Marner are building their resume by playing very well so far. So by association Willie may also think he is worth more now. ;)
You don't get to raise your value "by association" if you're not playing, just because your peers are doing great while actually playing. You get paid for what you do, not what others do.

He's not as good as Marner, and he likely never will be. If he wanted to prove that he was, the time was last year, because he's definitely not doing it sitting in Europe. All he is doing is hurting his own development.

There is no reason for the Leafs to offer Nylander more next year, after not paying hockey for a year, when there are 2 more important players to sign, and a bigger cap crunch than this year. If he wants to give away 6m+ dollars to see what other people get, only to get the exact same offers he is now, then I guess that's his choice.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
I d think you could get a "good young player with great upside" out of Willie. Or a 3D with some warts and medium term out of mid pack NHL D-core.

However "overpayment" is not happening, lucky to get full value at this point of the year.

If we'd be lucky to get full value, why would we trade him now?

Cause he won't sign for what we want? Thus we should get whatever can for him? You mean a rash decision that a good GM wouldn't make? You mean like a rash decision like Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson?

You guys would love that wouldn't you?

I would like to hear another reasoning, and "the Leafs need defense" does not equal "trade Nylander for whatever you can get back now"

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Mathews will be the highest paid player in the league
If he becomes the clear best player in the league, surpassing McDavid, maybe.

But then the Leafs would have the clear best player in the world, on top of all of their other elite players, and I have a feeling that would bother a lot of people a lot more than paying an extra couple million would bother Leaf fans. :laugh:

Reactions: david999
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad