Confirmed with Link: Nylander Re-signs: 6 Year x $6.9 AAV Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs fans the last several months - "Give Nylander the Pastrnak + inflation deal! That's fair value, and nothing more!"

Leafs fans today - "Nylander got the Pastrnak + inflation deal! What a terrible deal!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is a good deal. Let's enjoy it.

Were the people moaning about bonuses and cash up-front now, moaning when Tavares signed a similar bonus-heavy front loaded deal in July?

How many Leaf fans ?? Anybody who knows hockey knows Pasta >>>> Nylander. Doubt Willie outperforms his contract the way Pasta has.

Reactions: Al14

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Interesting point I read on the main forums. Looks like it's structured in a way to give huge trade value to a cape basement team.

"So, after the Leafs pay his $8.3 million bonus on July 1st, 2019, they could trade him to another team, who would only need to pay Nylander $24.7 million over 5 years. That increases his trade value significantly, should Dubas decide to pull the trigger."

If organized primarily as trade bait (if he doesn't improve as expected)... this contract is growing on me.

That's was always my thought from the beginning, and said so in the first 48 Dates.

Signing bonus as high as you can and then he's tradeable to cash conscious team as well as rich teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Throw More Waffles

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yep. That's how it looks.

Only makes 24.7 mill after July 1st, 2019 (aka less than 5 mill a year) on a 7 mill cap hit. That would be attractive to any team that cares about their salaries more than cap. Carolina? Leafs are the exact opposite. Care about cap, not about salary. So I agree with that too.

I think this is where Dubas got what he wanted, and where I would expect Pridham to get involved. There had to be something, because otherwise Dubas got nothing out of going the distance. Nylander gets to finish off one last run with the Leafs for a Cup, which makes both sides happy. Nylander makes the money he wanted, but the Leafs get a contract that is ideal for any budget team so they can move him for value after this year. Especially if he has a huge year this year, which would make his trade value go through the roof versus where it is right now.

I originally thought if Nylander signed a long term deal, he would be staying long term. After all of this and seeing the specs of the deal, I am not so sure anymore. It just does not seem like the type of deal that the Leafs would fight so hard to get.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
tumblr_inline_o6s6a3plwS1td5lrw_500.gif

You watch broad city salt? Great show

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
It's Babcock's decision. He's already informed us of it. There's nothing to speculate about.

He's not in worse condition than guys coming back from injury to start the season. Guess what? They get put in the lineup right away as well.
Decisions can change and Dubas has a say in this.

Those guys had training camp and in all likelihood a game or two of preseason skates.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
who do you think we trade off the roster this offseason to make room next year? I feel like it will be Zaitsev, Brown and Leivo to go. I dont feel any of our D will be resigned so we will have to figure out our RD again but I think our left side will be very good with

Reilly
Dermott
Sandin

Ozhiganov will probably pair with dermott again on the second pairing and maybe Holl/Borgman/Random signing on 3rd RD so we will still be looking for a #1 RD which could be a problem. I imagine the leafs could do some sort of trade involving Zaitsev + Brown + Prospect + High Pick for a decent RD that could hold down that position.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
his current physical condition is going to be a telling sign as to how serious he is....
It's a sign but physical condition is not the same as endurance and recovery, which is what hockey is.
I'm sure he's not going have be in Kessel shape.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It's completely structured to align with a July 1st trade.
Imagine Nylander improves as much as many here expect, and he's under a contract that has amazing value for smaller market teams post July 1st 2019. Imagine how big his trade value will be.

I take everything back that I said before. Dubas handed out a very smart contract. Just took me a while to process the whole thing.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How many Leaf fans ?? Anybody who knows hockey knows Pasta >>>> Nylander. Doubt Willie outperforms his contract the way Pasta has.
who cares if he doesn't bring several millions of dollars more value than his contract? it's still much more likely he outperforms it than doesn't

Reactions: DoobieDubas

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Why would they trade though? Out of spite because the negotiations were tough?

Not necessarily. But we still don't know what M&M will cost....plus Kappy etc.

I'm not wishing him gone, just pointing out that it seems like it's been structured to easily move him if required as early as July 1st

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's completely structured to align with a July 1st trade.

$20M to sign and take a playoff run this year.....easily moveable once M&M's deals commence
It provides the option, and it makes this deal easier to swallow. It's a moveable contract, and we have him now, see how the future shakes out. I'm sure that's how the team looks at the "cave".

One thing is clear imho, Gross comes out looking like he did his job.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Im so happy with this contract. I thought 6.9 M is a great deal.
I wanted long term.
And his ntc means he wanted to stay in Toronto all along.
Im so happy with Dubas and the whole Leafs brass because no leaks and they got the contract I believe they wanted the whole time. So so happy.
People forgot how good Nylander is.
to be honest we always mention the Pasta contract because it way too team friendly. Leons contract wouldda been bad but Pastas cap adjusted contract for William is awesome!!!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Decisions can change and Dubas has a say in this.

Those guys had training camp and in all likelihood a game or two of preseason skates.
So you think Dubas will go tell Babcock coaching decisions based on something that is a lot closer to Babcock's expertise?

And not necessarily. Long-term injuries from surgeries in the summer for example. I can hardly remember any such that would have spent another week just practicing before getting back. The examples I can think of, like Weber, was in the lineup the first game after they were deemed healthy enough.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
So, Willy < Pasta but Pasta > PastaContract. So maybe, just maybe, and hear me out here because this is wild and I didn't major in Mathematics...but Willy ~=Pastacontract in this scenario. Call me crazy, call me a mad man, but the logic appears sound.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad