Confirmed with Link: Nylander Re-signs: 6 Year x $6.9 AAV Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
looking at Johnston's tweet I think Dubas waited till the very end to see if nylander camp would budge; they didn't so dubas caved and filed at 4:55 pm to the NHL headoffice

Reactions: DarkKnight

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Problem is it’s 7.45m and even years 2-6 are not 6.9m, but 6.996m, which is 7m essentially. It’s way too much. 0.8-1m more of the money we don’t have enought to sign other guys. Leafs just could not afford to overpay for soft winger on the team going toward year of cap crunch. Out of all other guys he is last one I would keep, so it’s sign and trade deal. Willi just took timself out of our roster by being greedy.

Please explain how it's 7.45M???? How is 7.45 relevant to the CAP?
The CAP is our only constraint, otherwise we would be spending 100M.

It's 6.97M.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Did you just state your opinion as a reason why he's going to be traded?

Babcock has already stated that he'll be in the lineup as soon as he's available.
So he pulls a hammy and is out another 3-6 weeks?
He's not in hockey condition.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What are you not understanding about this? the cap hit (the issue you are *****ing about) got completely ****ed over by the bonuses which we conceded to recover his LOST MONEY FROM THIS YEAR. It was always 100% about the money, what aren't you getting? The $$$$$$$$$$ is all that mattered to the nylanders, it had nothing to do with cap hit. And just to be perfectly clear here, im explaining that this was a concession over salary for time missed. Thats what we lost.

Is the final cap hit in years 2-6?

If so, then i’m happy.

Could it have been better? Apparently not. Considering it was a last second deal.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You’ve been beating the trade drum for weeks now. It’s not happening.
I have most certainly not been beating a trade drum. I was hoping beyond anything for Nylander to sign at market value. If he refuses to, he becomes trade bait as a back up plan.

So I'm just saying... this contract is organized so that (even though it's an overpayment), it's an amazing contract after July 1st 2019 for one of the many cap basements teams, if that's what the leafs ever try to do.

The more I think about it, it's a really smart contract that Dubas handed out. I overreacted when I first saw the length and terms.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So he pulls a hammy and is out another 3-6 weeks?
He's not in hockey condition.
It's Babcock's decision. He's already informed us of it. There's nothing to speculate about.

He's not in worse condition than guys coming back from injury to start the season. Guess what? They get put in the lineup right away as well.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
wow- 7.5 per plus 25 MIL in SB.... kid got everything he wanted

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Interesting point I read on the main forums. Looks like it's structured in a way to give huge trade value to a cape basement team.

"So, after the Leafs pay his $8.3 million bonus on July 1st, 2019, they could trade him to another team, who would only need to pay Nylander $24.7 million over 5 years. That increases his trade value significantly, should Dubas decide to pull the trigger."

If organized primarily as trade bait (if he doesn't improve as expected)... this contract is growing on me.

It's completely structured to align with a July 1st trade.

$20M to sign and take a playoff run this year.....easily moveable once M&M's deals commence

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
It's actually 6.969....

McKenzie had it at $6.996, Johnson has it at $6.97, whatever the correct number it is (if it's $6.969), then that should be used.

That's close to a million difference, weird way of rounding it off.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I think the thread title should be updated to reflect the actual Cap hit, which is not $6.9, it's $6.996. If we are going to round it, then it's $7 million.
Revised to $6,971,326 on CapFriendly and reported as $6.9 million on NHL.com. Where precisely the final number is likely only is known when we actually see the full text of the contract.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm fine with the cap hit, I wanted 6.7m but that would have been a steal.
6.969m is 8.76% of the 79.5m cap. Lower than Pastrnak's, much lower than Draisatl's and is a fair price for what he brings. We can definitely fit him with Marner and Matthews.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Problem is it’s 7.45m and even years 2-6 are not 6.9m, but 6.996m, which is 7m essentially. It’s way too much. 0.8-1m more of the money we don’t have enought to sign other guys. Leafs just could not afford to overpay for soft winger on the team going toward year of cap crunch. Out of all other guys he is last one I would keep, so it’s sign and trade deal. Willi just took timself out of our roster by being greedy.
tumblr_inline_o6s6a3plwS1td5lrw_500.gif

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The Dube's about to do his presser

what's the over/under on how many times he says "process" per min ?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
McKenzie had it at $6.996, Johnson has it at $6.97, whatever the correct number it is (if it's $6.969), then that should be used.

That's close to a million difference, weird way of rounding it off.
McKenzie corrected himself. I posted the tweet but that was in the last thread.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's Babcock's decision. He's already informed us of it. There's nothing to speculate about.

He's not in worse condition than guys coming back from injury to start the season. Guess what? They get put in the lineup right away as well.
No they don't. They practice until they're good to play.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's completely structured to align with a July 1st trade.
Why would they trade though? Out of spite because the negotiations were tough?

No they don't. They practice until they're good to play.
Matthews just got included in the lineup in the first possible game. Weber didn't sit out games after getting healthy, waiting to get up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad