Confirmed with Link: Nylander Re-signs: 6 Year x $6.9 AAV Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Interesting point I read on the main forums. Looks like it's structured in a way to give huge trade value to a cape basement team.

"So, after the Leafs pay his $8.3 million bonus on July 1st, 2019, they could trade him to another team, who would only need to pay Nylander $24.7 million over 5 years. That increases his trade value significantly, should Dubas decide to pull the trigger."

If organized primarily as trade bait (if he doesn't improve as expected)... this contract is growing on me.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Man his fan base will never be satisfied with anything... do i think nylander at 6.9 is a bit expensive? Sure, but he can easily put up 70+ points a season and make that contract look like a steal... than we can easily trade him with his salary being in bonuses.... like can we all just honestly be happy... we have the best upfront group in the dam league...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
When's Dubas presser? Interested to hear timelines to get him back on the roster.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I hope this process shows to not fully believe insiders, especially with the Leafs regime.

They keep things close, I think Babs hit the nail on the head when he said don't confuse opinion with fact.

Cheers Leafs fans, we did it :)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'm worried that a precedent is set that if you hold out against Dubas, you get what you want.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander's camp were aiming for 7x6 all along, asked for more the entire time, then "settled" for 7x6: thus, sort of playing Dubas for a fool. What's to stop every other decent leaf player (which is all Nylander had proven he was, 20 goals/60 points) from doing the same thing to Dubas?

I don’t think Dubas did anything wrong here. He was backed into a tough corner by Shanahan who made the fan base think they needed a less than market price to be successful long term.

Nylander’s camp didn’t engage at any level in rebutting that silly speech. So that helped their stance.

There is a growing list of top end Group 2 RFAs that hold out every season. I wouldn’t pin the future on Dubas.

Marner and Matthews may hold out as that is really the only recourse they have if the team chooses to low ball them.

If I were Dubas though, I would be spending the rest of the year trying to figure out how to move that horrible Marleau contract to make room for the money trucks.

For now, let’s just enjoy the season and Cup run.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I dont care, im reposting this from the other thread.

Good lord, sometimes it just takes an emotional moment to really shine a light on just how stupid and shortsighted some people can be.

Today the second overall Leafs and current Cup favorites added a 22 year old first line forward to their team for a CAP hit of under 7mill for 6 years. An asset that can also be moved at any time if needed for roster adjustments. This is a great time to be a Leaf fan and anyone who doesnt believe this has been hurt so bad for long cheering for this team that they are unable to not be pessimistic.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Problem is it’s 7.45m and even years 2-6 are not 6.9m, but 6.996m, which is 7m essentially. It’s way too much. 0.8-1m more of the money we don’t have enought to sign other guys. Leafs just could not afford to overpay for soft winger on the team going toward year of cap crunch. Out of all other guys he is last one I would keep, so it’s sign and trade deal. Willi just took timself out of our roster by being greedy.

Reactions: Al14 and Mikeyg

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Leafs fans the last several months - "Give Nylander the Pastrnak + inflation deal! That's fair value, and nothing more!"

Leafs fans today - "Nylander got the Pastrnak + inflation deal! What a terrible deal!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is a good deal. Let's enjoy it.

Were the people moaning about bonuses and cash up-front now, moaning when Tavares signed a similar bonus-heavy front loaded deal in July?

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I think the thread title should be updated to reflect the actual Cap hit, which is not $6.9, it's $6.996. If we are going to round it, then it's $7 million.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting point I read on the main forums. Looks like it's structured in a way to give huge trade value to a cape basement team.

"So, after the Leafs pay his $8.3 million bonus on July 1st, 2019, they could trade him to another team, who would only need to pay Nylander $24.7 million over 5 years. That increases his trade value significantly, should Dubas decide to pull the trigger."

If organized primarily as trade bait (if he doesn't improve as expected)... this contract is growing on me.

You’ve been beating the trade drum for weeks now. It’s not happening.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Out of all other guys he is last one I would keep, so it’s sign and trade deal. Willi just took timself out of our roster by being greedy.
Did you just state your opinion as a reason why he's going to be traded?

2 weeks minimum.
Babcock has already stated that he'll be in the lineup as soon as he's available.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I hope this process shows to not fully believe insiders, especially with the Leafs regime.

They keep things close, I think Babs hit the nail on the head when he said don't confuse opinion with fact.

Cheers Leafs fans, we did it :)
All the speculation seemed very accurate based on what ended up getting signed though

Reactions: Gallagbi

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Problem is it’s 7.45m and even years 2-6 are not 6.9m, but 6.996m, which is 7m essentially. It’s way too much. 0.8-1m more of the money we don’t have enought to sign other guys. Leafs just could not afford to overpay for soft winger on the team going toward year of cap crunch. Out of all other guys he is last one I would keep, so it’s sign and trade deal. Willi just took timself out of our roster by being greedy.

What are you so upset about? His contract can always be traded. He is a HUGE asset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad