• 36-45 points

• 46-55 points

• HOLY MAKINAW! 56+ points!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think many on here underestimate the physicality and stamina required to play in the NHL.

Nothing else but playing NHL games can prepare you for it.

I think Nylander will get back up to speed by like February

Reactions: Tmart335

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think many on here underestimate the physicality and stamina required to play in the NHL.

Nothing else but playing NHL games can prepare you for it.

I think Nylander will get back up to speed by like February

Let's just say this statement is true. What is also true is that Nylander has played in the NHL. So why did he "underestimate the physicality and stamina required to play in the NHL"?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'm just happy I'm not the guy gloating over a player on my team struggling.
Anyone that gloats on his struggles will understand why they will be constantly quoted and pestered once nylander obviously starts putting up points. If nylander plays the way he plays last game we will have the true nylander back. He was probably our best forward that game despite no points.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I still think he'll go PPG+. Of course he'll start slow, but he's already shown that he's getting back into form. He looked like himself last game. Once he fully gets going and plays with Matthews and Kapanen... watch out, league. Watch out.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Anyone that gloats on his struggles will understand why they will be constantly quoted and pestered once nylander obviously starts putting up points. If nylander plays the way he plays last game we will have the true nylander back. He was probably our best forward that game despite no points.
Yeah, he looked really good last game. Made me feel foolish for worrying about him having lost a step due to putting on a bit too much upper body muscle.

Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Yeah, he looked really good last game. Made me feel foolish for worrying about him having lost a step due to putting on a bit too much upper body muscle.
ya, he was skating effortlessly and easily getting past defenders. I had forgotten how good of a skater he was. He also made a seriously impressive cross-ice pass to Kadri which he flubbed. Nylanders ability to make clean crisp passes, gain the zone with ease, and use his great skating will help him work towards becoming the player we all imagined when he first came up. Sooner or later both him and Kadri will see their bad luck stop. Nylander will pot some goals and see his production rise. Kadri will learn how to not hit posts and I do think these two will work on developing some chemistry. I hope we try hyman on that line when he comes back giving them a shooter, a passer and a grinder(unless of course, Babcock decides to load up the top 2 lines and move willy up)​

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I'm just happy I'm not the guy gloating over a player on my team struggling.
I don’t think anyone is gloating as much as guys like you jammed it down our throat about how his possession game is the best on the team and how much better he is than what he has shown on his previous contract. You also told us he should get paid on his projected worth not what he actually has done.

So no gloating just wanting to see where all the hype has gone
Because all he has shown so far is the same he always has been

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don’t think anyone is gloating as much as guys like you jammed it down our throat about how his possession game is the best on the team and how much better he is than what he has shown on his previous contract. You also told us he should get paid on his projected worth not what he actually has done.

So no gloating just wanting to see where all the hype has gone
Because all he has shown so far is the same he always has been
It's quite understandable to be supportive of the players on the team you are a fan of. Being happy to see them struggle to try to score some online points is sad. You should want to see the "hype" fulfilled, as that would benefit the team tremendously.

Also, here's a definition of gloating:
dwell on one's own success or another's misfortune with smugness or malignant pleasure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeddie and mulefarm

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Nylander missed a lot of time and the mental anguish to sit and wait like that can really alter the form of a player. Nylander will be back to producing that isn't in question. Just be thankful that we're at a point in this franchise's history that we don't need to rely on him to produce as we have so many more options and depth.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
It's quite understandable to be supportive of the players on the team you are a fan of. Being happy to see them struggle to try to score some online points is sad. You should want to see the "hype" fulfilled, as that would benefit the team tremendously.

Of course I want Willy to succeed and I thought signing this great contract he would put a better effort into his play.
See this is where you and I differ. I’m always and will always be a team player. Willy sitting out and then getting no consequence for that is what is causing the problem. He chose to sit out and he got everything he wanted so now there are no more excuses. When he fails it’s all on him.

When Willy won’t engage in any sort of physical contact he can’t possibly succeed in today’s nhl. I’m not happy that Willy isn’t contributing to the success of the team. I’m not happy because he got everything he wanted and based on his projected talent and stil is showing the same soft player he always was. He was the one who wanted to be paid more than his comparables. Pasternak hits fights for the puck in the front of the net and in the corners unlike Willy who doesn’t engage in any Physicality Until he finds this drive he will always be just a 20 goal 60 point player.

Last edited:

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Nylander missed a lot of time and the mental anguish to sit and wait like that can really alter the form of a player. Nylander will be back to producing that isn't in question. Just be thankful that we're at a point in this franchise's history that we don't need to rely on him to produce as we have so many more options and depth.

Jesus if he’s that fragile maybe he can never get back to producing. It was his choice to miss this time.

Well because we are paying him 7 million a year this will contribute to our cap problems. People crap on zaitsev because they don’t think he is worth 4.5 but are willing to give Willy a break at 7. Willy has played in the nhl for the last three years. He knows what it takes to get in game shape. There is no excuse for his poor play.

We most certainly need to rely on a guy we are paying 7 million a year to. For 7 million you should score 30 goals 70 points. If we don’t get that from Willy then he isn’t living up to his contract.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Even you must have seen the multiple posts stating that he was this and that and looking at people’s predictions which seemed far fetched.

I hope he gets back up to speed he looked better the last game but was not anywhere near our best forward and not even the best player on his line as that was Kadri. JT was easily our best forward last game.

My issue with Nylander has always been his unwillingness to engage in the game physical. Until he starts to do so I will consider him a support player at best. Love his skill set and skating but playing only part of the game takes a lot away from him as a player. Let’s hope that he gets some confidence in his physical game to become a core piece for us.

Reactions: Slot

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Of course I want Willy to succeed and I thought signing this great contract he would put a better effort into his play.
See this is where you and I differ. I’m always and will always be a team player. Willy sitting out and then getting no consequence for that is what is causing the problem. He chose to sit out and he got everything he wanted so now there are no more excuses. When he fails it’s all on him.

When Willy won’t engage in any sort of physical contact he can’t possibly succeed in today’s nhl. I’m not happy that Willy isn’t contributing to the success of the team. I’m not happy because he got everything he wanted and based on his projected talent and stil is showing the same soft player he always was. He was the one who wanted to be paid more than his comparables. Pasternak hits fights for the puck in the front of the net and in the corners unlike Willy who doesn’t engage in any Physicality Until he finds this drive he will always be just a 20 goal 60 point player.
Seriously, what does any of this have to do with me thinking it is bad taste by certain posters to gloat about his early struggles in order to score some cheap points in threads like these? Speaking of being a "team player," I'd be sad to be right and happy to be wrong depending on whether it was to the team's favor.

And Willy doesn't deserve sympathy. He caused this situation. But you gotta differentiate between sympathizing with him, and being rational about what you can expect.

As for the contract. He got paid more than some of his comparables. His cap hit ended up right where it was expected to be based on models of what his past performances and market tendencies dictate. And that hyperbole of yours is ridiculous. He created a goal just last game with aggressive forecheck, fighting for the puck, and physically outmuscling the defender. Throwing hits? Not his game. Neither is it for Matthews or Marner, who averages just as few hits per game as Nylander does.

Even you must have seen the multiple posts stating that he was this and that and looking at people’s predictions which seemed far fetched.

I hope he gets back up to speed he looked better the last game but was not anywhere near our best forward and not even the best player on his line as that was Kadri. JT was easily our best forward last game.

My issue with Nylander has always been his unwillingness to engage in the game physical. Until he starts to do so I will consider him a support player at best. Love his skill set and skating but playing only part of the game takes a lot away from him as a player. Let’s hope that he gets some confidence in his physical game to become a core piece for us.
Even me, huh?

Again, what does any of this have to do with me thinking it's bad taste to gleefully enjoy a player on your team struggling?

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Jesus if he’s that fragile maybe he can never get back to producing. It was his choice to miss this time.

Well because we are paying him 7 million a year this will contribute to our cap problems. People crap on zaitsev because they don’t think he is worth 4.5 but are willing to give Willy a break at 7. Willy has played in the nhl for the last three years. He knows what it takes to get in game shape. There is no excuse for his poor play.

We most certainly need to rely on a guy we are paying 7 million a year to. For 7 million you should score 30 goals 70 points. If we don’t get that from Willy then he isn’t living up to his contract.

Worst case scenario there are plenty of teams who would line up to take Nylander at 6.9 million. It is in no way whatsoever a burden of a contract to unload if need be.

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
I still think he'll go PPG+. Of course he'll start slow, but he's already shown that he's getting back into form. He looked like himself last game. Once he fully gets going and plays with Matthews and Kapanen... watch out, league. Watch out.
I must say, even though I am not a big fan of Nylander, I want our team to win and win and win, so I found myself cheering for him to get one last game. C'mon we all love this team, right? I don't know what type of points he's gonna put up this year...the way he's going they're not gonna come that easy or quick for him. He had some moments last game. I hope I am wrong , but I don't think he gets 25 goals this season.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Some people are spiking the ball a bit after the heated debates which were hyperbolic on both sides. I have difficulty imagining the majority of fans being unhappy when Willy contributes to wins. There will be a few irrational haters but I doubt they will reach the levels of the Kadri, Hyman or Brown detractors.
I liked Willy's game after the second with the small exception of the OT where he looked a bit confused on the 3 on 3. That was however a positioning issue that he can adjust easily. He looked more relaxed as the game moved on as was beginning to use his linemates more to make thing happen instead of doing it all himself. He needs 2 more weeks of playing and then people can start to worry if he doesn't produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad