• 46-55 points

• HOLY MAKINAW! 56+ points!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You're right, but this is also unprecedented in some ways. Missing this type of time is usually due to an injury where you can still skate with the team, watch tape with the coach, be part of it. Things Willy couldn't do.
But Willy could practice with other teams while the injured player would have been bed ridden for who knows how long.

Are we really trying to blame this on things like "he couldn't watch tapes with the assistant coach"?
My goodness. This has gone way too far...

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
His first game was December 6th or something like that so it has been just over 3 weeks. It's not like he has been trash since that first game either. He has shown glimpses of what we know him for and I think those glimpses are going to become the final product soon enough.

3 weeks really is not that much time to to get up to speed with the fastest hockey in the world.
Why doesn't this happen with other players? This isn't what's normal.

Kessel came back from soldier surgery, missed training camp, missed the preseason, missed the first month, and then scored 8 goals/11 points in his first 13 games. Enough of the excuses.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Nylander had another dominant possession game, and an excellent 5 shots on goal, which is the most he's put up in a game since March 28th. You guys are embarrassing.
2 assists in 40 leaf goals. I cannot fathom how anyone can't be concerned about that.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Nah its been under a month still. Camp is a big miss I still think he has a couple 2-3 weeks to better fine tune his game. After that I will become a harsher critic.
Yeah well him and his agent should have been working on a deal and training better to be prepped for the season. No excuses. 2 apples in 11 games. Wtf..

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
But Willy could practice with other teams while the injured player would have been bed ridden for who knows how long.

Are we really trying to blame this on things like "he couldn't watch tapes with the assistant coach"?
My goodness. This has gone way too far...
Seems like you're missing the point.

He wasn't part of the culture and wasn't skating with NHL level talent. He was an outsider. With that said, He SHOULD be better than he has been, but it looks more mental than physical to me.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I'm all for players holding out and demanding top dollar, it's their career and they deserve to get paid.. but, you gotta come in a little better than this if you really want to stay on the team and not have the fans turn on you. I'm sure he will get it going and start producing but so far it looks like he treated the holdout as an extended vacation rather than extra off season training, just not a good look at all.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm all for players holding out and demanding top dollar, it's their career and they deserve to get paid.. but, you gotta come in a little better than this if you really want to stay on the team and not have the fans turn on you. I'm sure he will get it going and start producing but so far it looks like he treated the holdout as an extended vacation rather than extra off season training, just not a good look at all.
He really didn't. He didn't even really take a vacation in the summer. That he still looks so much behind just shows how hard it can be to go from no real hockey in almost half a year to mid-season NHL in one step.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He really didn't. He didn't even really take a vacation in the summer. That he still looks so much behind just shows how hard it can be to go from no real hockey in almost half a year to mid-season NHL in one step.

All the more reason why you don't make a player whole for sitting. I wish he was cooling his ass back in Sweden. Lets hope Dubas learns from this failure.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
All the more reason why you don't make a player whole for sitting. I wish he was cooling his ass back in Sweden. Lets hope Dubas learns from this failure.
Nylander struggling now is inconsequential. You don't purposefully lose assets out of spite just to avoid it looking bad for a few weeks mid-season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If you want to call Nylander “elite”, then the expectations must match.
In 2019 Nylander must show why he’s worth a 7 million cap hit or it’s not money well spent and best served elsewhere.

The grace period is going with 2018.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Funny how much slack people are giving him, he has sucked plain and simple. If you think he needs time than he obviously did not do a good enough job of keeping in shape. Shows what a lazy schlub he really is

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah well him and his agent should have been working on a deal and training better to be prepped for the season. No excuses. 2 apples in 11 games. Wtf..

Yeah it's unfortunate, but hey we are a great team let's enjoy it. He will be back to full speed Nylander soon enough and then the already fun season will be even better

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Why doesn't this happen with other players? This isn't what's normal.

Kessel came back from soldier surgery, missed training camp, missed the preseason, missed the first month, and then scored 8 goals/11 points in his first 13 games. Enough of the excuses.

Honestly that is a good point. Not going to argue with the Kessel part, it's true that he came firing out of the gates.

I just think every athlete is different Nylander is showing glimpses and will be back up to speed soon enough; until then let's enjoy this already amazing team and be ready for when Nylander is going 100% again, it's only going to get better

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Funny how much slack people are giving him, he has sucked plain and simple. If you think he needs time than he obviously did not do a good enough job of keeping in shape. Shows what a lazy schlub he really is
Look at the guy, you really think he didnt keep himself in shape?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Is that suppose to be a jab? Of course he was, he's better than 99% of the players in the NHL.

Take his numbers after his elc and compare them to Nylanders numbers after his elc.

Kessel:
Goals: 66

Nylander:
Goals: 48

So those are VERY similar. Kessel a little more goals. Nylander a little more points. Pretty god damn even.

Now, let's look at year 4 (post elc) for both players.

Both Kessel and Nylander missed training camp. Both Kessel and Nylander missed the 8 preseason games.

So now, let's look at how they did their first 13 games in spite of that.

Nylander: 0 goals/2 points (lol) (minus 1 game)
Kessel: 8 goals/11 points

So enough with the bullshit ENOUGH[/i] with it.

Nylander is f***ing up. It's HIS fault. Nylanders. He's f***ing up. HE'S f***ING UP!!!!!!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
First off, ALL of you should have expected these struggles from Nylander. He missed so much. U have to separate the holdout from how long it takes him to get in game shape.
This guy is a stud. He's going to score a lot in this league.

Reactions: Anthrax442

RLF

May 5, 2014
I don't think he's sulking. I think he's lost. He's spent a career being faster both in legs and mind, and with a higher degree of skill than almost anybody he plays. And now it doesn't work, and he's bewildered.

Well Babcock says they expect him to be up to speed in mid-January, so that sounds reasonable.

I get what you're saying and we be more apt to go there if this was his first NHL season, but it isn't. He has had two successful seasons already, so he knows what can and can't work with his skillset. Lost is a word I have used as well. Not sure what it is, but he looks uninterested and that is worrisome. If he was playing hard and not getting results, it is likely a matter of time. But he isn't playing hard and looks like a guy who can't wait to get off the ice, instead of can't wait to get on the ice. Reminds me of how Phil looked when he mailed it in at the end of his last season.

RLF

May 5, 2014
First off, ALL of you should have expected these struggles from Nylander. He missed so much. U have to separate the holdout from how long it takes him to get in game shape.
This guy is a stud. He's going to score a lot in this league.

Some get up to speed time, yes. But how he is playing with what looks like a lack of effort too often...No. He is on one of the most high powered and talented teams in the League. Also take into account he is not the "go to guy" getting all the tough matchups either. It's not like he is plating with no talent team mates. He should have created and produced more by now. Where's the fight in him? Where's the determination? No one should have expected this.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Most guys are up to speed after 4 exhibition games. Training camp is four weeks. It's been a full month and Nylander isn't playing to the Josh Leivo level who was traded for make room for Nylander.
Maybe the Leafs should called his bluff, and not signed him to his bloated contract, and keep the team that was here in November. Contract talks could resumed next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad