• 46-55 points

• HOLY MAKINAW! 56+ points!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The issue is, Nylander really IS worth 6.9 million based on his stats. Remember, Edmonton gave Draisaitl 8.5 million for simrlar career stats in a smaller cap world.
He basically got the Pastyrnak deal.

He basically good Pasternak's money, but Pasternak outperformed Nylander which made the Nylander;s deal "high" in my view.
Nylander stats put his closer to Larkin 6.1 X 6 years
Heck Reinhart of Sabres settled for a two year 3.625m deal and he scores 25/25/50 point season. Same draft year as Nylander.
Maybe the Leafs should held firm for a 4m X 2year deal as comparable.
I think Oilers overspent for Leon, but had much better stats that Nylander and seemed to be better player at contact time.
Doesn't make that much difference if its half million, but then if Marner gets half million more that he should and Matthews too, now you can't sign that 4m Dman you might want cause you only got 2.5 to spend.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He basically good Pasternak's money, but Pasternak outperformed Nylander which made the Nylander;s deal "high" in my view.
He didn't. If you don't count empty net points, Pastrnak got 60 points in his contract year, compared to 61 for Nylander. That was with only 26 points in 51 games the year before. People always mention that Pastrnak contract, but that's a great contract because of the development he had after signing that contract.

Draisaitl on the other hand had a better season, but he also played almost twice as much PP minutes as Willy did, and spent most of that time on the wing of the Art Ross winner. If you adjust for ice time, that is you look at what Draisaitl did up until he had played as much as Willy did his season, he actually produced less. If you got tons and tons of opportunities to score, you'll score more.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I get what you're saying and we be more apt to go there if this was his first NHL season, but it isn't. He has had two successful seasons already, so he knows what can and can't work with his skillset. Lost is a word I have used as well. Not sure what it is, but he looks uninterested and that is worrisome. If he was playing hard and not getting results, it is likely a matter of time. But he isn't playing hard and looks like a guy who can't wait to get off the ice, instead of can't wait to get on the ice. Reminds me of how Phil looked when he mailed it in at the end of his last season.
That's just the thing. He knows what he can do, and what he has consistently done both the previous three years and earlier, and that doesn't work right now.

It's also important to note that he's again been our best transition player since coming back, and last game had 5 high scoring chances himself and set up two more. And we still think he's very off. If the pucks start to go in as they should with the chances he generates, and he takes two steps back to normal, that should give us some high-end production.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
He didn't. If you don't count empty net points, Pastrnak got 60 points in his contract year, compared to 61 for Nylander. That was with only 26 points in 51 games the year before. People always mention that Pastrnak contract, but that's a great contract because of the development he had after signing that contract.

Draisaitl on the other hand had a better season, but he also played almost twice as much PP minutes as Willy did, and spent most of that time on the wing of the Art Ross winner. If you adjust for ice time, that is you look at what Draisaitl did up until he had played as much as Willy did his season, he actually produced less. If you got tons and tons of opportunities to score, you'll score more.

Good point on Pasternak developing after signing, but I think you have to count empty net points, their stats lines are what they are and when you start parsing for one thing you open up the invitation to parse for everything (quality of competition, offensive zone starts, linemate productions etc.)

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Good point on Pasternak developing after signing, but I think you have to count empty net points, their stats lines are what they are and when you start parsing for one thing you open up the invitation to parse for everything (quality of competition, offensive zone starts, linemate productions etc.)
7 missed games for Pasternak after elbow surgery. The gymnastics of the Willy crowd is fun though, great how they can live in their own little alternative universe.

Reactions: mrbagina

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Everyone laughed when a couple of us wanted kappy signed before nylander, now we'll lose kappy because we are overpaying a ghost

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Everyone laughed when a couple of us wanted kappy signed before nylander, now we'll lose kappy because we are overpaying a ghost

Willie likely will be traded after July 1st after Leafs pay him his bonus and he is playing like he knows he is not a Leaf for long. Talk is cheap. Show everybody you want to be a long time Leaf Willie.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

The fact that Pastrnak is on the ice to get empty net points says something. When was the last time Nylander was anywhere but the bench with the opposing net empty?

Reactions: ToneDog

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
The least Willie can do is up his compete level. Hell Moore playing 4th line minutes with two players with stone hands has as many points in 3 games.
This is the thing for me. I admit I wanted the leafs to trade or sit Nylander but after he signed, I have been rooting for him but it is getting harder and harder to do as I am not seeing this upspike in play that some are talking about. I thought he skated his best game of the season 3 games ago but overall he looks like the guy who ate a big turkey dinner. Show some resolve, hit, battle, fight if you have to, do something because the optics are bad. Someone said he looks like Kessel who mailed it in at the end, and I couldnt agree more.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Sure, but I don't think there's anything that tells you as little as empty net points. Either way, none of those factors you mention would change the comparison by a lot.

The fact that Pastrnak is on the ice to get empty net points says something. When was the last time Nylander was anywhere but the bench with the opposing net empty?
It does tell us something. For one, that Pastrnak was part of the unit that his coach deemed most effective to close out such a situation. It does not tell us that Pastrnak was 10 points better than Willy offensively, which is what people use the stat totals to say. It would therefor be more effective and accurate to say that they produced similar amount of offense, and then add that Pastrnak was trusted with those minutes as a separate factor.

Last edited:

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
When was the last time Nylander deserved to be on the ice late in the game?

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017

At this point it all just sounds like excuses and that Nylander holds no responsibility ie look at his linemates, he doesnt get 1st line pp, he isnt on the ice for empty netters, he needs more time etc etc. Like an earlier poster stated, if he were working his ass off and luck just wasnt on his side, I coule live with it, but I am not seeing any compete level other than the odd decent rush and odd good pass. i wanna believe he will find the Hyman workhorse gene but I don't think he is that kind of player and never will be, so if your not adding to the scoresheet and you don't battle and work your ass off, then what are you offering?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The least Willie can do is up his compete level. Hell Moore playing 4th line minutes with two players with stone hands has as many points in 3 games.

When I saw Moore make two nice plays for assists that set up Roberto Duran (hands of stone, Gauthier), I'm thinking Moore might be the greatest playmaker EVER in the NHL.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
At this point it all just sounds like excuses and that Nylander holds no responsibility ie look at his linemates, he doesnt get 1st line pp, he isnt on the ice for empty netters, he needs more time etc etc. Like an earlier poster stated, if he were working his ass off and luck just wasnt on his side, I coule live with it, but I am not seeing any compete level other than the odd decent rush and odd good pass. i wanna believe he will find the Hyman workhorse gene but I don't think he is that kind of player and never will be, so if your not adding to the scoresheet and you don't battle and work your ass off, then what are you offering?
Nobody is saying that William is not responsible for his play. We are attempting to isolate that so we hold him accountable only for his play. To want to properly apply context is to want to be informed, to get closer to the truth. To not want to do so is to prefer ignorance.

To me, it's the other way around. I'm not the one with the excuses. It's the people that want to ignore context that look for excuses to draw the conclusions they like. They don't want truth, they want the lie that fits preconceived notions.

Last edited:

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
Nobody is saying that William is not responsible for his play. We are attempting to isolate that so we hold him accountable only for his play. To want to properly apply context is to want to be informed, to get closer to the truth. To not want to do so is to prefer ignorance. To me, it's the other way around. People want to ignore context so they have an excuse to draw the conclusions they like.

For your information, players can impact games beyond the scoresheet and through work ethic. The score sheet is a result, the work ethic is a means to achieve. None of them is the actual impact of the player.
I'm not sure I understand what your saying....How am I holding him accountable for more than just his"play"? And nice uncalled for dig .(prefer ignorance?) lol ok then. I don't see his impact or work ethic so far so.....which is impacting the team and the scoresheet. So, what are you saying?

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
Nobody is saying that William is not responsible for his play. We are attempting to isolate that so we hold him accountable only for his play. To want to properly apply context is to want to be informed, to get closer to the truth. To not want to do so is to prefer ignorance.

To me, it's the other way around. I'm not the one with the excuses. It's the people that want to ignore context that look for excuses to draw the conclusions they like. They don't want truth, they want the lie that fits preconceived notions.
Right back at you

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not sure I understand what your saying....How am I holding him accountable for more than just his"play"? And nice uncalled for dig .(prefer ignorance?) lol ok then. I don't see his impact or work ethic so far so.....which is impacting the team and the scoresheet. So, what are you saying?
Why do you take it personally when I address it to "people"?

I'm not going to touch the rest. It's New Years Eve, after all.

Right back at you
Right... back at me?

I'm literally trying to apply as much context as I can. I'm doing the exact opposite of what you just bolded and tried to apply to me. This is beyond dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad