Value of: Nylander - Offer sheet

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
The way to do it would be to structure it as a two year OS with the first year as 6 million dollars and the second year as 9.75 million. That way if they match they are stuck with a poison pill qualifying offer in two years (when they will really need the cap space) and you would only lose a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd if they choose not to match it. It would suck having to qualify him yourself in two years but getting him for such a discounted price would make it worth it I think.

I don’t see him signing it though, Toronto is a great place to be right now. Only way I could see it is if he wants to be a Center, because if he signs for the next 8 years in Toronto he’s basically accepting that he’s a career winger.
They could do what the caps did with DSP and negotiate without qualifying him. You can do anything if the guy wants to stay. Hard to do anything at all if he wants to leave.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
They could do what the caps did with DSP and negotiate without qualifying him. You can do anything if the guy wants to stay. Hard to do anything at all if he wants to leave.
He would need to agree to that. If you’re Nylander, it makes way more sense to just make them qualify you, the leafs wouldn’t lose him for nothing, so they would be forced to qualify him. Of course this isn’t likely, he probably wants to stay and not screw the leafs. If you want him though, this is the way to give yourself a chance as it wouldn’t be an automatic match like most offersheets are. The leafs would actually have to think about it I imagine.

nhldream

Jan 4, 2015
Would make sense for Boston to look into i think. Could be a win win for them

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
This thread still happening? LOL

Here is the answer, it's never going to happen to any of our players, plus they would never agree to it, and Dubas and Co. will make sure of that.

But nice try
Do you honestly believe that leaf players are so loyal that they would never sign an offer sheet, you must think Toronto is a popular place, aside from the gun violence which has put it on par with Chicago?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That’s a really high price for Nylander
It's probably 1 mllion more than they'd like, but as i said before...if 60 point JVR is worth 7 as a 29 year old winger, and never hit 60 points Evander Kane is worth 7 million as a 26 year old winger, then surely 60+ point Nylander is worth 7.6 as a 22 year old winger/center....no?

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
The funny thing about offer sheets is fans always seem to assume it's just a matter of throwing more money at the player and they'll obviously sign it no matter who brings the offer. Just because the player's not a UFA doesn't mean they don't still want to have a say where they're living/playing. Nylander could not be in a more ideal spot right now. He's on a team built to contend for the next 7 years and in position to pile up points playing with Matthews or Tavares which will in turn help his cause financially. I highly doubt he'd be interested in giving that up if a team offered him 1M more a season than he's going to get in TO.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Do you honestly believe that leaf players are so loyal that they would never sign an offer sheet, you must think Toronto is a popular place, aside from the gun violence which has put it on par with Chicago?
Ummm, you may want to stat check that one....there have been 215 gun related crimes as of June 3rd...not murders...just related crimes.Toronto on pace for another ‘Year of the Gun’ | The Star Chicago has had 244 murders...and as of July 1st, 1378 people have been shot.Tracking Chicago shooting victims So if you mean within 1100 being close...ya, your bang on.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We'd match anything that isnt four 1st round picks.

Yes, he's better than Keller. No he's not better than OEL.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

I fully believe that there is zero chance they leave, and in fact will sign deals in order to be competitive. Gun violence happens in every city lol our numbers are overall very much lower than the actual ghettos they have in Chicago and other American cities, we just don't have the same views on guns or pockets of poverty like our southern neighbours.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Ummm, you may want to stat check that one....there have been 215 gun related crimes as of June 3rd...not murders...just related crimes.Toronto on pace for another ‘Year of the Gun’ | The Star Chicago has had 244 murders...and as of July 1st, 1378 people have been shot.Tracking Chicago shooting victims So if you mean within 1100 being close...ya, your bang on.

Yep, Americans lol sometimes I wonder. I have never had an issue living in downtown Toronto, what an ignorant comment lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
An offer sheet won't happen, most teams that can do it aren't very good so why leave a LOADED roster? Most teams that are good don't have the space.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If that happens Tor needs to build a statue for Dubas instantly.

My guess is

AM: 11
Marner: 9
Nylander: 8.5

So 49.5 million in six players (I'm not even counting Marleau), seems doubtful. One of Marner or Nylander is gone.

Lower bridge deals or some dumb GM helps out the Leafs, which I suppose could happen considering half of them are morons.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You can't possibly believe it will all work out like that right?

Anyway, the leaves are set with or without Marner or Nylander, team is very deep with Kapanen, etc.

I mean it shows that it's possible to retain all four of them, obviously not exactly, but I dont see anyone providing proof on the contrary.

Anyway, Marner, and Nylander are not getting 9 and 8.5 million, they aren't UFAs... Some of you need to take a gander on capfriendly and take a look at comparables and their cap%.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
So you believe Toronto would match if they offered 7.6 x 8?
A couple problems here.
You can’t offer sheet a player for 8 years. 7 is the max term for a FA signing.

Second even if you could offer that contract the compensation would be 4 first round picks. Not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd that you were probably thinking.
Offer sheets are calculated is to a max term of 5 years. If a player is signed longer then that the entire value of the contract is divided by 5 and the compensation is based on that figure.
So 60.8m / 5 = 12.16m. Thus 4 first round picks.
Yea I luv Nylander but I probably let him go for that.

Reactions: Kelly

BeLeafInTheFuture

Jul 4, 2018
Scotland
I can't see top 3 GM John Chayka dishing out an offer sheet for Nylander, given how the Coyotes have been putrid. Sure the team were trending upwards in the 2nd half of last season, but that's not enough to try something this risky.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
This thread still happening? LOL

Here is the answer, it's never going to happen to any of our players, plus they would never agree to it, and Dubas and Co. will make sure of that.

But nice try
never is a strong word

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Nylander wouldn't even be their best forward that goes to Keller.

As to an offer sheet the only value that makes sense is $7.8 M over 5 years. Enough of an over-payment to make TO think about it while keeping the compensation to a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...

That would be a terrible return for Nylander and they would almost certainly match

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I doubt very much half of Toronto's bottom 6 will be made up of ELCs for the next 5-6 years
Uhh did you even read any of them?

Johnsson, Kadri, Brown, Kapanen won't be ELC's in 19-20, and those projected lineups all have them in the bottom six (Marleau in the one). They have two players on ELC -- how exactly is that not realistic? May not even be an ELC could be a vet on a 1million or less contract.

It's doable, and with the front office we have, I'm really not worried at all -- but seems like lot of non-leaf fans are which is weird.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad